Black vs Silver spokes

NotSoBigBen

Heard a comment recently 'silver spokes are stronger than black', any scientific truth in that I wonder? I believe the person due to his experience but 'scientifically' could there be?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But my assumption is that you only have black spokes !!!!!! That doesn't count. Byron broke 1 silver at SabieX and I had a broken black spoke before I went and one at the event but I am told that was for a different reason. Seems the wheel wasn't built all that well the first time round. Ja what to think? The wheel has been re-built with new black spokes and a new freewheel so I guess I'll be faster now ................

According to Easton:

Q.

What's the difference between black spokes and silver spokes.

A. Nothing, except for color. Black spokes are made by applying

a black oxide coating (not anodizing) to the spoke. It's a topical

coating for cosmetic purpose only, and does nothing for the

function or strength of the spoke.

According to Easton:

Q. What's the difference between black spokes and silver spokes.
A. Nothing' date=' except for color. Black spokes are made by applying a black oxide coating (not anodizing) to the spoke. It's a topical coating for cosmetic purpose only, and does nothing for the function or strength of the spoke.

[/quote']

Velo, you are 100% correct Ihave wheels with silver spokes and a cheaper set with silver spokes, I am yet to brake one.Big%20smile

According to Easton:

A. Nothing' date=' except for color. Black spokes are made by applying a black oxide coating (not anodizing) to the spoke. It's a topical coating for cosmetic purpose only, and does nothing for the function or strength of the spoke.

[/quote']

100% correct, I have wheels with black spokes and a set with silver spokes nd have not been able to break any yet.Tongue
David #72007-12-29 21:38:42

According to Easton:

[/quote']

Velo, I don't mean to top your perfect reply with a cherry. What you said here is perfectly true, but I've been asked to elaborate.

1) You are absolutely right, there is not difference in terms of longevity, function, installation or any other functional aspect whatsoever.

2) Spoke "strength" needs some clarification. Strength is a vague scientfic term and for purposes like this it is better to refer to a specific strength such as tensile strength (stretching strength), torsional strength (resistance to twisting and wind-up), compressive strength (self-explanatory I think) or resistance to fatigue expressed in cycles of applied stress.

3) Most spokes are strong enough in that they can take far more tension than can be applied by tightening the nipples. A wheel will collapse, the nipple will break or gall long before the spoke snaps. Spokes never break by snapping (unless in a jockey incident) but through metal fatigue.

4) Even super thin spokes such as Revolution or Laser spokes are strong enough in tension to build a very reliable wheel. A 1.8 mm spoke will start to plastically deform (stretch) at 2000 Newtons (200kgs) and break at just under 3000N.

5) In the case of a colour coating, some coatings could be detremental to the integrity of the underlying material, as in anodising on aluminium. This is a hard coating that penetrates the outer later of the aluminium and when it cracks, it propagates a stress crack inwards, like a scab on a knee. However, steel cannot be anodised and some sort of coating is used.

6) The black coating on the stainless steel spokes lies purely on top of the steel and has no structural effect on it whatsoever.

7) In South Africa, black spokes are more expensive than silver spokes. In some other countries they're much of a muchness in terms of price.

8) Wheelbuilders hate black spokes because this effectively doubles the stock you have to hold.

Thanks Johan! Happy now that I decided to have my wheel built with black spokes again rather than have a silver spoked rear and black front or having to lay out the money to rebuild the front also with silver.

Will also pass the info on to the said person so as not to perpetuate this myth any further ..............

But won't the black spokes have a slighlty differentt "ping" sound when tuning as a result of the dampening effect of the coating. This could also effect the sound of the wheel when riding i.e. quieter, which therefore  effects the cyclist who subconscuously thinks that he is going slower and therefore pedals faster.

This is why it is a scientific FACT that black spoked wheels are FASTER than silver spoked.

20080104_214308_6.gif
racman2008-01-04 21:46:07

The Fulcrum Racing Speed Carbon Fibre wheels comes with all black spokes except it has two silver spokes. These spokes are opposite the valve hole and are thicker than the rest to ensure that the wheels are balanced properly. The siver spokes are just there as a reminder that the are heavier (thicker). On normal alloy wheels metal is removed by CNC machining to ensure they are balanced. This cannot be done with Carbon Fibre.

The silver spokes is the indicator of a process called "Dynamic Balancing"  according to Paul Butler of Fulcrum.

I normally situate magnets for speedo pickups opposite the valve hole just in case.

That is incorrect Big H. The speed sensor will show a slighlty faster speed near the valve stem due to the extra weight of the stem on the rim causing the rim to move marginally faster at this point. Although seemingly impossible due to the nature of rim construction, this additional speed is countered by the manufacturers machining the rim slightly thinner i.e. lighter on the opposite side to the valve hole thus avoiding the rim "buckeling" at high speed due to the imbalance. This was a common problem earlier on which led to the term "seeing its own valve hole", which later progressed to more vulgar terms reflecting the human anatomy!LOL   racman2008-01-04 22:13:12

But won't the black spokes have a slighlty differentt "ping" sound when tuning as a result of the dampening effect of the coating. This could also effect the sound of the wheel when riding i.e. quieter' date=' which therefore  effects the cyclist who subconscuously thinks that he is going slower and therefore pedals faster.

This is why it is a scientific FACT that black spoked wheels are FASTER than silver spoked. 
[/quote']

Fortunately I believe in the research done by the large wheel and spoke manufacturers and use a Spoke Tensiometer. I do not have a musical ear thus playing the tyre lyre does not work for me. I wonder if the coating will have any effect on the spoke tensiometer?????

So BigH, Are you going to kit out the tandem with a pair of Racing Speeds.

We can then crown you the King of Tandem Bling.LOL

ooh, don't forget some of those Nokon/Ilink cable housings and a pair of white Bibs

Nope they will look silly on a MTB tandem............. and they may just not fit. I also use braided derraileur housings and have disks on the tandem. I tied white once and it is not the condusive cycling gear colour.

But then..... I am the undisputed King of Tandem Style!!!!!!!1 Bling is so kitsch!!!!!

Yup.............. but it is in Deep Storage in RSA. We are contemplating bringing it to Nigeria. Do you get Carbon Fulcrums that are Tandem Specific without weight restrictions??????