Scott Spark 29 RC or Santa Cruz Tallboy

Jaco1

Scott Spark 29 RC or Santa Cruz Tallboy  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Please choose one

• Scott Spark 29 RC
    • Santa Cruz Tallboy

Does it not already come with a 120mm fork? The pic is showing a 120mm.

You get various build options from Santa, most locals however run them 100mm, If i had to get the Santa id definitly put a 120mm upfront. Though i suspect im going a total differnt option from the above two machines.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You get various build options from Santa, most locals however run them 100mm, If i had to get the Santa id definitly put a 120mm upfront. Though i suspect im going a total differnt option from the above two machines.

I rode my boss mans with a 120mm upfront, awesome machine. What bike are you looking at getting?

Components can be replaced in time a they wear out....getting the right frame is the first and most important aspect. Try and find two of these bikes and give them a quick spin to get a feel for the bikes

The pink one I take it? Seen as how you bought the missus a black bike :whistling:

Thats how i roll bishes!

Thats how i roll bishes!

So which one is it then, all jokes aside, cause there are 4/5 various bikes to look at in that link.

Hijack

I was looking at a new 29r for this year choices were:

trek Superfly 100,Scott Spark,Tall Boy,Niner jet 9 RDO

Trek was full XT but the cost difference between al vs Carbon was to much

Scott, tried one and did not like the way the fork and shock lock out together, also did not feel right. HT was great though

So down to the tall boy vs the Niner. If you read up on the over seas sites these are the two bikes worth going for both are very highly regarded.

In the end i went for a tang niner and it rides like a dream, looks great and handles very well in the tight stuff, it also climbs well. my build cost was a lot less(R15,000) than both the trek or Scott and i got a bike with whati want on it not some account in an office somewhere!!!!

On the fork difference i have seen that in the US they go for the 120mm fox Talas so it can also be used in 100mm. Wish i had known before going 100mm fox.

I also went for full XT, the system is bullet proof and i need to lose 10 Kgs before spending lots of money on XTR/XX which does the same thing for minium weight loss

My 2 cents or 15K

The Tallboy is with XT groupset, Mavic Crossmax C29er wheels, Fox Forx F29 120RLC, Price is R 55 800 Incl VAT

The Scott Spark 29RC is with XX groupset, DT Swiss wheels, Rockshox 100 travel, Price is +- R 51 000 Incl VAT

Good review at http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/06/15/2012-scott-scale-more-pics-official-details-and-specs/

In my opinion the price on the Scott is very attractive with better groupset. It is just the DT swiss shock that I don't like, and this I have heard from more people.

I will get a updated price with the Tallboy and XX, or XTR, not sure what do you recon will be the better groupset ?

Edited by Jaco1

It is not about the price.

Both are MORE than R50000, which is a lot of nelsons. Value for money does not count at that price range.

Buy the bike you WANT. Because you will have to ride it a lot to get any kind of value form it. Say you ride it 5000km's in the first year. That is R10/km.

Me? I would buy the Santa if I had the finances. I have a aluminum Blur XC. I have done 2 Epics, 2 Sabie Experiences and 2 Mankele 3 Towers on this bike. And I plan to do the Pioneer trek in October on this machine.

You can swop out the fork, crank, brakes and wheels. But the frame is the skeleton of your bike.

It is not about the price.

Both are MORE than R50000, which is a lot of nelsons. Value for money does not count at that price range...

Woah, with the scott you're getting a groupset that is the best.

​And unless some downhill is planned then I'd definitely go with the scott if the worst came to, then one would have to replace the shock.

A friend of mine is getting the scott in the next few weeks, will give it a try and let you guys know.

But having ridden '11 XX and '12 XT, I can say that the XX requires a lot more finesse, whereas the XT is bombproof.

Depends what you're looking for.

What it came down to for me was that for my money i built a bike with what i wanted on it and not then have to change anything after paying R50k +

I also looked at the cannondale 29r, but for R55k you would have to change things as it came with a jelly tot mix of components!!!!

Look around and make very good friends with you LBS. my build R45k for R60K bike

bottom line build what you want, as you are going to have to live with it for a long time?