StevieL

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holly [emoji90]

Just needs some Dura-Ace[emoji3]

Pffftttt! Everyone knows the only Italian bike that gets Dura Ace is a Bianchi.

• 2 weeks later...

Master with CRecord, Shamals, titanium.........just about holy grail methinks. Great work Morph.

And Delta's....

• 3 weeks later...

Hey fellow addicts.

With much disturbance to the force, I have realised that I turn 40 this year.

Coincidentally I have also realised that I have a Master that needs to be refurbished as some heathen painted it black and a CT1 that somehow has managed to stay in my garage even though I had two confirmed buyers and this obviously means that it needs to be brought back to original too...right?

What better 40th present than 2 refurbished classic Colnago's for me to spend more time and resources trying to find the right parts for.

So today's question: Who should I send two frames to to be restored perfectly?

Here is my list of things to be done:

Master:

re-chrome seat and chainstays appropriately for chosen paint scheme

polish chrome lugs and fork

strip all old paint to bare steel

check and address any rust (does not look back for a 30 year old frame)

repaint in chosen paint scheme using airbrush only (currently thinking Saronni largely because it is red and I already have a yellow C40 and a blue/pink CT1 so this can then be my Vuelta bike to bring home all 3 grand tours)

CT1:

brush off dropouts to remove any hint of corrosion

seal dropouts appropriately

touch up and blend dropouts, head tube, seat collar and bb. The tubes and art decor CTB paint are still perfect but the last touch up of the above areas was not done professionally enough for my standards.

possible paint the flash fork to match the frame.

I'm looking for paint mastery here, good service and fair pricing.

current

post-50555-0-47217700-1598968602_thumb.jpg

to be

post-50555-0-10056500-1598968639_thumb.jpg

current

post-50555-0-07158700-1598968764_thumb.jpg

option 1

post-50555-0-81502100-1598968792_thumb.jpg

option 2

post-50555-0-09971300-1598968873_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nakoota

..........I'm looking for paint mastery here, good service and fair pricing.........

Pick any two........because you cannot have all three at the same time. (Just like the light, strong, cheap thing)  ;)

........So today's question: Who should I send two frames to to be restored perfectly?...............

If they were mine I would have taken them to Jared Mahaffey at BMC in Salt River, but that is in Cape Town and I know you are far away. But there must be people in Gauteng that can do as great a job.

I recall that Alain did a re-paint earlier in this thread that looked pretty impressive.......let me see if I can find it...............there you go!

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/113216-all-things-colnago/page-124

Pick any two........because you cannot have all three at the same time. (Just like the light, strong, cheap thing)  ;)

:) Exactly why I said fair price and not cheap price.

If they were mine I would have taken them to Jared Mahaffey at BMC in Salt River, but that is in Cape Town and I know you are far away. But there must be people in Gauteng that can do as great a job.

I recall that Alain did a re-paint earlier in this thread that looked pretty impressive.......let me see if I can find it...............there you go!

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/113216-all-things-colnago/page-124

I'm not sure that the JHB contenders can deliver on my expectations, I've seen their work and it is not the same quality/fitness so I'm happy to ship. I've considered BMC/Bogus/CBR in Durban so far but not sure who I'm missing.

Andy Harris AH Designs in Pinetown. He does all my work and does a fabulous job. I will PM you some images of bikes he's done for me.