All things Colnago

StevieL

1 hour ago, EddieV said:

Thanks DJR, I think I have maxed the rubber already with the 25mm on there at the moment. It doesn't look like a 28mm will fit - the fork arch is very low. 🙃

It is a fallacy that you need to ride with MTB sized tyres for Eroica. I did my first Eroica on 23c (the long route) and didn't suffer any punctures. I now ride on 28c on the back and 25c front. Rather choice a hardy tyre such as older Conti Gator skins with thicker tube filled with some slime.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Loose cog said:

It is a fallacy that you need to ride with MTB sized tyres for Eroica. I did my first Eroica on 23c (the long route) and didn't suffer any punctures. I now ride on 28c on the back and 25c front. Rather choice a hardy tyre such as older Conti Gator skins with thicker tube filled with some slime.

Agreed. I did my first one on 23s, one year even did it on a set of 21 tubbies (madness, I know, but so cool on the old Shamals). You just have to pick your lines and not let the speed get away from you on the downhills. But it rattled my fillings properly. Last few I did with 28 on back and 32 front. It just makes it a bit more forgiving on all the shoulder and wrist fractures I've had over the years. I also put a double wrap of bar tape on the top of my handlebars. 

20 hours ago, EddieV said:

Thanks DJR, I think I have maxed the rubber already with the 25mm on there at the moment. It doesn't look like a 28mm will fit - the fork arch is very low. 🙃

The Colnagos are usually quite tight for clearance, but like Loose Cog said, it is totally OK to do Eroica  on skinnies.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cippo said:

Schweet - But i only have 1 kidney left and not even COLNAGO gonna get that.

I have got my old road bike back from my nephew - C 40 B Stay with a Campag Record 10 Speed groupset and Nucleon Campag wheels. Its been ridden so has the usual road patina. Now whilst i am extremely sentimental about the old bike its also now unlikely to be a comfortable ride any more. It wasnt to begin with - its a very hard ride. 24 years later its still an out and out race bike, so with my somewhat heavier frame and less flexibility its not an ideal machine.

The chances are therefore its going to hang on the wall.

Question for the group - whats a C 40 like that worth - R 12k to R 15k? R 20k?

Bike is original - i even have the books from Alan van Heerden

1 hour ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

I have got my old road bike back from my nephew - C 40 B Stay with a Campag Record 10 Speed groupset and Nucleon Campag wheels. Its been ridden so has the usual road patina. Now whilst i am extremely sentimental about the old bike its also now unlikely to be a comfortable ride any more. It wasnt to begin with - its a very hard ride. 24 years later its still an out and out race bike, so with my somewhat heavier frame and less flexibility its not an ideal machine.

I agree that the C40 is still a pure race bike despite its age. Mine gets taken out mostly for shortish rides. The longer rides are a bit rough on the old back and neck vertebra. But it is still an absolute delight to ride and at the bottom of a little hill to stand up, give it a kick and feel it jump forward like the purebred it is, even if the jockey is not anymore, maybe never was. 

1 hour ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

In the R10K - R15 price range depending on condition and parts

6 minutes ago, DJR said:

I agree that the C40 is still a pure race bike despite its age. Mine gets taken out mostly for shortish rides. The longer rides are a bit rough on the old back and neck vertebra. But it is still an absolute delight to ride and at the bottom of a little hill to stand up, give it a kick and feel it jump forward like the purebred it is, even if the jockey is not anymore, maybe never was. 

i love the analogy.

It's a bit like taking out a purebred and feeling the responsiveness and willingness to run - just you aint the rider you used to be. Very torn about it but the bike count in the garage is ratcheting up and its really nothing but a wall ornament. I did all my racing on it and it has a sentimental connection to PB's and putting hurt in to bunches, but I can feel its not going to be a patch on my Roubaix in terms of comfort. Back and Neck - agreed. Stiff as a plank....

Anyone interested in my old racing machine - i even bought a brand new 10 speed campag cluster and chain as they were getting scarce which i would happily throw in

2 hours ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

i love the analogy.

It's a bit like taking out a purebred and feeling the responsiveness and willingness to run - just you aint the rider you used to be. Very torn about it but the bike count in the garage is ratcheting up and its really nothing but a wall ornament. I did all my racing on it and it has a sentimental connection to PB's and putting hurt in to bunches, but I can feel its not going to be a patch on my Roubaix in terms of comfort. Back and Neck - agreed. Stiff as a plank....

Anyone interested in my old racing machine - i even bought a brand new 10 speed campag cluster and chain as they were getting scarce which i would happily throw in

Post some pics already

In very good condition  without any corrosion on the rear dropouts - All original Campy components as built by AvH, then i would say 20 - 25K to a collector - Don't let lowballers on here try to convince you otherwise 

Problem is, no one seems to have the apatite for collector COLNAGO's at the moment, I have 2 X C40's a DREAM and a CT1 been trying to move for nearly 12 months now.

Oh for the days when you listed a COLNAGO and you had a line of buyers at the gate on the same day 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/16/2024 at 5:00 PM, madmarc said:

In very good condition  without any corrosion on the rear dropouts - All original Campy components as built by AvH, then i would say 20 - 25K to a collector - Don't let lowballers on here try to convince you otherwise 

Problem is, no one seems to have the apatite for collector COLNAGO's at the moment, I have 2 X C40's a DREAM and a CT1 been trying to move for nearly 12 months now.

Oh for the days when you listed a COLNAGO and you had a line of buyers at the gate on the same day 

No one is low balling anyone here, the market dictates what the bikes are selling for. There's a C40 in CT for R13K that's been on the market for months, hence my price suggestion. The fact that yours aren't selling is an indication that the market can no longer support that price point, at this moment in time anyway. That of course might change in a year or two... hopefully anyway because we all want to see the vintage bike market flourish.