26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Specialized 26 inch hard tail frames 2011 are on the Specialized website and in some local shops.

My Giants pretty similar, full XT 9sp, and i got my hands on a set of the 2011 anthem wheels (with the DT swiss rear hub). The 2010 std. wheels are solid bombs, but good fro training!! Intereastingly, i weighed the Anthems wheelset against the american classics, on the same scale back to back (both bare ie. no rotors etc.) and the Giant wheels came in at exactly 90 grams heavier than the AC's. Now with KCNC seatpost and bars, my bike is 11,1kg (medium) thats "on the road" weight (pedals, bottle cages, garmin etc.)

I bought the giant anthem x 29er with the standard wheelset - with I think the same dt swiss rear hub and standard giant front hub you mention, rims are the p-xc2. I to am looking at getting the american classic but if u mention only a 90gram gain, is that significant? And worth the R5-6k for new wheelset?

I believe the 34" is gonna be even quicker, but only if you run it on 11 speed cassettes, wear holograms and drink 29GI energy drinks. :huh:

Well, if the 29 inch is so good, why stop there. Why not go for 45, 35 or even 40 inch. Or do the bicycle manufactures keep that for a 2015 hype? Marketing. And gatjeuk.

I predict that there shall be a break away of radicals who shall reintroduce the penny farthing ... 26 rear, 29 front!

Rather the 29 at the back and the 26 front. Then you can ride downhill all the time. :lol:

How about getting a Cannondale 26er with a Lefty, and fitting a 29" front wheel? What would give all the real (or imagined) obstacle crossing benefit, Without a lot of weight penalty. Would have to figure out how to limit the fork to 80mm travel to prevent scraping the down tube.

How about getting a Cannondale 26er with a Lefty, and fitting a 29" front wheel? What would give all the real (or imagined) obstacle crossing benefit, Without a lot of weight penalty. Would have to figure out how to limit the fork to 80mm travel to prevent scraping the down tube.

I have a Lefty Speed DLR 110mm on my Scandal so its been done. I got some reducers from the States that reduced the travel from 110 to 80, although cannondale actually recommend 90mm.

Top 3 finishers at MTN Attekwas – George, Sahm and Platt – all on 29er hardtails... More confirmation.

Give them 26ers and the results would have been the same!

Top 3 finishers at MTN Attekwas – George, Sahm and Platt – all on 29er hardtails... More confirmation.

That level of rider can win on anything

I am still not convinced it will benfit me until I have tried it for a reasonable amount of time

But in saying that I would really like a 29er with carbon lefty :thumbup:

You are aware that the Sahm/Platt did win (Or came close to winning) a few Epics on 26" bikes? If they had Power Balance bracelets, would it be confirmation that PB's work?

Give them 26ers and the results would have been the same!

Typical reply from a sour 26" rider. :P They had the choice and choose the 29ers. (Look at the big S - Burry will select a 29er and Sauser will select a 26" FS - because they can choose)

This topic is about which one is faster.

This weekend, 29ers was faster - FACT. You will need to live with it, same as I need to live with those that have never been on a 29er, commenting on 29ers. :lol:

You can substitute 29er for anything they did, wear or use. Baby soft, Assos bum cream, Shimano chains, Bell helmets, Squirt or Island Tribe sunscreen.

Fact is THEY won. Not the bikes. They provided the input. They were riding 29ers, yes.

The way you put it, the bike (29er) that won, peddled the rider.

Edited by Goodbadugly