26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think that the 26" will die out? Parts become more and more scarce in the future?

Well if you take into concideration that scott will only be bringing in 29er carbon bikes for 2012 and the comment above about specialized i can only imagine that the market is forced into the direction of 29er. Dont get me wrong, i dont bad mouth 29ers at all. I took my friend's specialized 29er s works for a ride the other day and i really liked the ride. Its just that i am happy with my 26er and if i change it must be because i want to not because im forced to

The 'debate' is more about stimulating business imo. Burry has a direct interest in a Spez bike shop, and they both are obligated to keep their main sponsors (Spez) happy. Not that I watch this TV show, but isn't the host Andrew Maclean who is Mr Cyclelab? So vested interests abound and hardly an objective panel.

I'm also with Jaco, not closed to the 29'er idea but very happy with my compliment of 26" mtb's. I got no carbon frames either, only because I really don't see the point with so many good Cannondale Al frames out there, and I am not fussed about riding a 'vintage' if still works well and does the job, which to me is getting to the finish line without issues.

Why don't these guys spend their time on the show debating / talking something else about the sport that is not related to fattening their pockets? Like, what about all Burry technical bad luck this year? He has had lots of drive train hassles that cost him so many podiums and top ten, why??? The truth must come out!

Edited by kosmonooit

So if the debat is over, then why is this fred even here?

Recurring freds are, well, recurring ;)

Edited by TNT1

Seconds count in racing why go slower if you can go faster but on which bike do you save the most energy.That will count on a 60-120km ride.

Well if you take into concideration that scott will only be bringing in 29er carbon bikes for 2012 and the comment above about specialized i can only imagine that the market is forced into the direction of 29er. Dont get me wrong, i dont bad mouth 29ers at all. I took my friend's specialized 29er s works for a ride the other day and i really liked the ride. Its just that i am happy with my 26er and if i change it must be because i want to not because im forced to

I'm pretty sure Scott has got 26ers for 2012 of their site. Aren't they making it to SA?

I get the feeling that my next mtb will be a 29er. Not because of the mass mind ******* that is taking place but because i will probably be forced to buy one since there will be no more decent 26ers available within 2 years......

Shoe! Lucky for me that I stocked up on good 26'rs then. Cos I ain't riding no damn clown bike.

My advice? Ride a 29er for a few weeks - my Niner Air 9 (Large) will be available in a week or two - you're welcome to do some long rides with me. Then you can decided which is better.

I've got two hardtail MTBs, a 29er and a 1995-vintage 26er. I like riding both bikes for recreation, equally much. What I've noticed though, is that the 26er gives me much more of a workout when I look at my heart-rate monitor's results (Calories burned) at the end of the ride. (Comparing the same routes more or less). Granted, there are many variables having an influence, such as the bike's gearing, weight and prevailing conditions on different riding days, but this observation has been consistent over a number of rides during the past year though. Anybody else also experienced something similar?

This popped up on Twitter today...

post-1360-0-28528600-1294948020.png

Just thought I'd stir the pot a bit... :P

Says nothing about terrain. 29er could be genuinely faster, but it could also be that that specific trail or section is better suited to a 29er.

I've got two hardtail MTBs, a 29er and a 1995-vintage 26er. I like riding both bikes for recreation, equally much. What I've noticed though, is that the 26er gives me much more of a workout when I look at my heart-rate monitor's results (Calories burned) at the end of the ride. (Comparing the same routes more or less). Granted, there are many variables having an influence, such as the bike's gearing, weight and prevailing conditions on different riding days, but this observation has been consistent over a number of rides during the past year though. Anybody else also experienced something similar?

There is absolutely no way you can compare a 1995 26er to a new 29er. If you had a new 26" HT your observation would be exactly the same when compared to your '95 HT.

I'm busy lining up a Anthem X vs Anthem X29 test. A proper back-to-back test with as little as possible variables. Trying to get a HT too to sommer test 26"HT b2b with Anthem X to hopefulle lay to rest which quicker in that department too.

Next month, Camp vs Shimano! biggrin.gif