Action Cycles PE - Impressive Service

dee jay

For what its worth,

The unfortunate part of all this is love them or hate them we all need them,

Yes I also had my fairshare of LBS that made me to shop at Action Cycles.

Would go there again,

From all bikeshops I contacted AC and Cyclefactory were able to give me a very good price on a bike and believe me I contacted quite a few. Not even my hometown bikeshops could give me better prices or even try.

Big up to Garth and his team will soon be buying a bike for my wife with AC

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a rumour that Action Cycles are going to close and metaphorpasize into a Cycle Lab at a new premises. Any truth to this rumour.

Try Cyclopro just off William moffat expressway.. their service, advice, quality of work and products are above standard and can always rely on the advice from the owner, Rob Rudman ( Ex- SA mtb champ back in his day). i have never been to another cycle shop for the past 2 years. they also cater for all kinds of cyclists from mtb, tri, road, bmx and track... pop around you will be impressed not only by high quality repairs but also by friendly staff that go out of your way to make us riders happy!

:D

:thumbup:

Try Cyclopro just off William moffat expressway.. their service, advice, quality of work and products are above standard and can always rely on the advice from the owner, Rob Rudman ( Ex- SA mtb champ back in his day). i have never been to another cycle shop for the past 2 years. they also cater for all kinds of cyclists from mtb, tri, road, bmx and track... pop around you will be impressed not only by high quality repairs but also by friendly staff that go out of your way to make us riders happy!

:D

:thumbup:

You work there?

You work there?

So anyone who has anything good to say about any shop "allegedly work there"?????

So anyone who has anything good to say about any shop "allegedly work there"?????

Tongue in cheek..............no offence intended. It was worded in the same way a brochure is worded.............

I heard a rumour that Action Cycles are going to close and metaphorpasize into a Cycle Lab at a new premises. Any truth to this rumour.

Edited by Azonic

I was also under the impression that he does work there........which is why I posted it

Edited by Eugene

Years ago Garth almost k@kked his pants when rumours started spreading that Cycle Lab might be opening up a PE branch. Along the lines of refusing to promote Trek bikes if that happened, etc. So this is interesting news indeed.... Lets see what happens.

I heard this rumour too

I was also under the impression that he does work there........which is why I posted it

He does work there. But that doesn't detract from what he said. When it comes to MTB's, Rob is the best. No-one in SA biuilds better wheels. I've got wheels that over 10 years old, wheels that have been raced hard, not a buckle.

His guys are wizards with hydraulic brakes as well.

Edited by Azonic

He does work there. But that doesn't detract from what he said. When it comes to MTB's, Rob is the best. No-one in SA biuilds better wheels. I've got wheels that over 10 years old, wheels that have been raced hard, not a buckle.

His guys are wizards with hydraulic brakes as well.

100% agree - Rob is a fine fellow and also the only qualified ( as in "have the papers to prove it") bike mechanic in Port Elizabeth. His shop is very much MTB orientated and not all that popular with the roadies anymore. Other problem starting to surface is that most that support the shop do so because of being able to chat to Rob; due to his ill health of a while ago + having to build wheels he does not get through his work, so access to him is very actively being prevented and obstructed by family and staff. In fine PE tradition, a lot of cyclists have simply gone elsewhere ......................... to many cyclists the only difference between their LBS and CWC/CRC is the ability to visit and have a chat to the owner of the shop. If this is restricted or disappears, LBS's will close and CWC/CRC will continue to grow and flourish.

Back to PE bike shops in general - so the scenario looks like this

1. Action Cycles get sold

2. Cycle Lab finally opens a shop and Garth Botha operates it.

3. The Augustyn brothers, John Lee & Wesley, open Augustyn Cycles.

So this begs the question - can PE sustain all these shops and if not, who is going to close down ?

100% agree - Rob is a fine fellow and also the only qualified ( as in "have the papers to prove it") bike mechanic in Port Elizabeth. His shop is very much MTB orientated and not all that popular with the roadies anymore. Other problem starting to surface is that most that support the shop do so because of being able to chat to Rob; due to his ill health of a while ago + having to build wheels he does not get through his work, so access to him is very actively being prevented and obstructed by family and staff. In fine PE tradition, a lot of cyclists have simply gone elsewhere ......................... to many cyclists the only difference between their LBS and CWC/CRC is the ability to visit and have a chat to the owner of the shop. If this is restricted or disappears, LBS's will close and CWC/CRC will continue to grow and flourish.

4. Wayne Pfeiffer Cycles still offer great service.

So this begs the question - can PE sustain all these shops and if not, who is going to close down ?

1. Couldn't care less to be honest. I haven't set foot in that shop for around 6 years, and don't plan to either. I have my reasons.

2. Doesn't matter what signage they hang on the outside. If the same person operates the shop, its the old shop, old attitudes, etc. Call it Super Duper Mega Cycles, with the same oke operating it, nothing changed.

3. Heard JLA was opening shop. Hope them well, but as you say, PE is small...

So in PE, we have:

• Wayne Pheiffer Cycles
  • Cyclo Pro
  • Action Cycles CycleLab
  • Coimbra
  • Augustyn Cycles
  • 2nd Breath Cycles
  • A mate of mine's dad also just opened up a bike service business. He's been doing bikes for longer than most of us have been alive, so I'll trust him with my stuff. And I'm full of k@k when it comes to my stuff.
  • Not to mention places like Sportsmans Warehouse and other retail shops that probably sell more bikes than all the bike shops combined.

That's allot of shops for PE...

Edited by Azonic

Where in PE is JL going to open?

Dunno. Shops are pretty well spaced at the moment, kind of.