Polished Team Bonitas’ Decisive Team Time Trial Win

Matt

ccs-2-0-45760300-1330853289.jpg

A polished Team Bonitas dominated the SA Team Time Trial Championships today in Nelspruit, Mpumalanga. Photo: supplied Team Bonitas

Early morning warm temperatures continued to soar when four of the country’s top road cycling teams took to the streets on day 2 of the Mpumalanga Sport Council 2012 SA National Road Cycling and Time Trial Championships.

The inaugural Team Time Trial race, which was open to South Africa’s Top Clubs and the SA Continental Teams, saw only four teams line up to take the challenge that started at Kaapmuiden and finished at the Mbombela Stadium.

It was a polished Team Bonitas who set themselves apart from the rest of the field when they claimed the national title by a winning margin of 2 minutes and 26 seconds. Darren Lill, Ian McLeod, Johann Rabie, Johannes Kachelhoffer, Tyler Day and Jason Bakke formed the successful sextet who completed the 47.8 km course in 01:02:56.9.

ccs-2-0-92282900-1330853292.jpg

A polished Team Bonitas dominated the SA Team Time Trial Championships today in Nelspruit, Mpumalanga. Photo: supplied Team Bonitas

Top Club Nuwater were the second team home, whilst Top Club ag Under 23 finished third, and CyclingSA Toyota National Academy finished fourth.

According to Team Owner Malcolm Lange from Lange Sports (who runs Team Bonitas), everything on the day went according to plan: “The guys did a good job today – they trained really hard for this and it paid off.

“Early on, they were about two minutes down on time, but the guys turned on the gas about half way through the course and ended up finishing with a two-and-a-half minute lead. Compliments must go to the team captain Ian McLeod who kept it all together – we lost Tyler (Day) at the 20 km mark, but by keeping the rest of the team together they had good horse power in the end.”

Lange feels that the TTT is an important aspect of road cycling racing preparation as it teaches the team to race together, and it involves specific training and equipment. “The team is only as strong as their weakest member,” he said.

With the first two days behind them, Team Bonitas are now looking ahead to Sunday’s road race where Darren Lill will be looking to defend his national jersey.

Event organiser Hendrik Wagenaar was very happy with how today’s race panned out. “Everything was perfect and the inclusion of the Team Time Trial added some excitement to the event and was very well received. Following the great success, I think that this race will be far better supported next year.”

The weekend’s racing is set to continue entertaining families, supporters and cycling fans when the women’s road race takes to the streets on Saturday with the men’s road race closing out the proceedings on Sunday.

RESULTS – Mpumalanga Sport Council 2012 SA National Road Cycling and Time Trial Championships – Thursday – 01 March 2012

Team Time Trial – 47.8km

1. Team Bonitas 01:02:56.9
  2. Top Club Nuwater 01:05:22.8
  3. Top Club ag Under 23 01:07:40.9
  4. CyclingSA Toyota National Academy 01:08:18.9

Click here to view the article

Top club Nuwater or beter known as Cape town market did also a great job and are for sure a force to be rekon with.Congrats