Zevenwacht DH rebuild

Carlospicyweiner

We had our own unauthorised "downhill" races at Zevenwacht growing up in the mid nineties. No suspension, no disc brakes, no helmets (not much to protect when you're 15 years old!). The one guy had a "Marvel" with click shifters and 18 gears - the rest of us were on Nishiki's (think that was the name) and various other Dion specials.

Don't think i'd be able to go faster today with 30 gears and full suspension. Then again, 3 of us ended up at the doctors for stitches or a fractured elbow in my case. Of course sworn to silence because we werent supposed to be there in the first place!

Good times!

Also grew up there, riding our Avalanche Reflex bikes, Haro Escape's, Nishiki Flite's and the like, suffering falls, man oh man, steep learning curve it was down that dh track.

After a few falls, a helmet became compulsory otherwise I was'nt allowed to leave the house...

Good times as you said.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, the track is currently being rebuilt. We will be complete the building in a weeks time. The track looks good and has about 15 obstacles in it ranging from table tops, road gaps, ski jumps, drops, rock garden, long fast berms and then also a few hip jumps. Track is 1.4km long and about 170m vertical drop. Pro racers such as Pottie and Garlciki will do it in just over 2 min. Track is fast but very pedally!

Will upload gopro footage once I rode it Peter! ;)

I saw you guys parked close to the top yesterday , wanted to stay for a chat but you fly down faster than you can hike up :clap: ... great work guys :thumbup: :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

From what I have heard the track is currently in need of some SERIOUS maintenance. Perhaps it is worthwhile contacting the landowner so we can get some peeps together after the first few rains to do a little maintenance :)

• 3 months later...

The DH line is being revised and tweaked for the upcoming WC Downhill event on the weekend of 1 May 2021. I'm going to take my nephew for his first DH event and my first time at this track.

• 2 weeks later...

Its round3 of the WP DH series at Zewenwacht this weekend. Track looks like fun with lots of jumps. All the local pros should be there as the overseas season is running late this year.  If you've never done a DH event, come and give it a try. 

I raced this weekend. Wow, I've never had such a scary weekend on my bike. The Zevenwacht track is a load of fun but very intimidating if you've never seen it before or are nervous of gap jumps. There are at least 9 gap jumps some around 5 m and the one over the tine mine is a high consequence gap if you go too slow or try to bail at the last minute. Its all well built stuff but very scary. I had a good training day but race day didn't go so well with a crash in practice, and two minor but time wasting offs on my timed runs. A fun and character building weekend and a first DH race for my 13 year old nephew.