What is your Worst Ride Ever?

davetapson

worst rides according to riding category:

XC - first ever XC race, Die Burger MTB challenge. cramped every single meter in the last 10km.

DH - 2011 race at Eden. Conditions were sloppy/greasy at best as it had rained/pissed down for a few hours solid prior to the race. But it wasn't the conditions that made it a crap race. i wasn't there mentally. I guess that's what happens when u allow someone into your head and they **** around in it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Close second: 2010 MTN: van Galens when they ran out of water and the thermometer said 40 degrees+.

Yes, daai dag wou ek my eie k@k met klippe gooi...

My first 120 km road race in 2008 - 99er, Durbanville, Cape Town.

Cycling was easy until km 80 when the route turned into the wind.

Turning into the South Easter from Malmesbury to Durbanville for the final 45 km leg, I knew I was in sh*t. :blush:

Limped my way km by km to the finish line as the blockwind pushed me back with every pedal stroke.

I felt moeg for 10 days after that. Never again!

Lessons learnt:

1. Spread my effort evenly.

2. There is a difference racing for 90 km and racing for an extra 30 kms more.

3. Watch for overhead conditions and 'read the wind'.

:thumbup:

Commuted to work in -7C. Halfway there, the rain came down. Two-thirds in, I developed the runs. I'll spare you the details...

Commuted to work in -7C. Halfway there, the rain came down. Two-thirds in, I developed the runs. I'll spare you the details...

any ride for you is usually your worst ;)

My first Sabie classic. It was my second marathon ever and I totally underestimated those mountains. Bonked 20km into the 75km so I had to battled 55km home through the Sabie mountains. I thin bonk took on a totally new meaning Spend almost 6hrs in the saddle. After the ride I was in such a bad condition that I considered going to hospital.

Likewise, Sabie Classic 2012! Except I spent 7h45 in the saddle! Actually did go see a Dr after that race!

hill2hill 4 years ago must be on some people's list - snow in the midlands and the associated rain lower down - cold, muddy and long!

Went with weedmod and bunch of you losers on a mountain bike ride once. I turned back somewhere the other side of Presidents Park. I hit the wall badly going past Rynsoord. Stopped at this house and begged for food. I still feel bad, it was right in the middle of Ramadan, and these fasting Muslims fed me. I was farked though.

Yikes!

:blush:

No i walked the last 600 meters of it.Even in my granny gear it felt like i was going backwards.It was a mtb race in the mountains here in Lux.

Hopefully the finish was at the bottom and the downhill part was worth the climb?

That i will do, it's for a great cause, but hell i have fallen there nearly every time,

Happens to me at every MTB race and i still do it.

That's a pink blouse award to you.

post-7-0-98758200-1332411196.jpg

Interesting how many people had bad experiences on the 99er....the 2009 99er used to be my worst ride ever..until this year's Argus cycle tour.

Came down with bronchitis 3 weeks before the ride. Thought I was fully recovered, started quite late (09:04), had a good first half, then hit the wall. Walked for the first time ever on the ride (halfway up Chappies. 40+ °C in the shade (maximum measured by my Polar was 50 °C). Not really sure how I managed to get to the finish, but I have photographs to prove that I did.....