Crankset for Cannondale Tandem

water bottle

I had a 30 40 52 FSA 170 10 sp crankset on my tandem. I started running out gears, so had a modification done.

I put a 55 big blade on with a 42, but the chain kept dropping between big and middle blades.Must say I did get my speeds up on flats and downhill. The LBs's tried narrowing it with washers but in the Argus I dropped the chain twice - very frustrating the first time as we were comforable in a group, did 3.16. Second time it got back on after much fiddling by changing back and front gears.

The one LBS says they can get a FSA 44t, to replace the Shimano 42t they put on. Must say, they have been very helpfull.

My question is: Do you get a standard combonation for above ratio, or is it you have to build up a crankset.

Have googled, but my knowledge is limited as to what will do and what not.

What did other Tandem riders do. Started in RT in Argus, and everybody basically had bigger blades on. So it can be done.

Can somebody give some advice pls?

I had a 30 40 52 FSA 170 10 sp crankset on my tandem. I started running out gears, so had a modification done.

I put a 55 big blade on with a 42, but the chain kept dropping between big and middle blades.Must say I did get my speeds up on flats and downhill. The LBs's tried narrowing it with washers but in the Argus I dropped the chain twice - very frustrating the first time as we were comforable in a group, did 3.16. Second time it got back on after much fiddling by changing back and front gears.

The one LBS says they can get a FSA 44t, to replace the Shimano 42t they put on. Must say, they have been very helpfull.

My question is: Do you get a standard combonation for above ratio, or is it you have to build up a crankset.

Have googled, but my knowledge is limited as to what will do and what not.

What did other Tandem riders do. Started in RT in Argus, and everybody basically had bigger blades on. So it can be done.

Can somebody give some advice pls?

Larger blades and successful shifting is a function of the throw your front derraileur has. Shimano gives that in their spec sheet. It is expressed as the difference in gear teeth between blades.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

WB you are probably sorted by now but i have a 32-44-55 FSA combo on my one tandem on on the other a 48-58 :blink: