Bibs - Cape Storm or First Ascent?

Caerus

I need to get a new pair of Bib Shorts and am not looking to spend to much money, my last Anotomic pair have served me well, but have fallen apart within two years, this after spending R1500 on them.

I've been through previous threads but as this is now 2012, need some more updated advice. Are there particular models in the above mentioned makes to look out for?

Any other recommendations are also welcome.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out evans bikes online store. They have some good deals on bibs, at the same price you'd pay for local, but 100times better quality.

Check out evans bikes online store. They have some good deals on bibs, at the same price you'd pay for local, but 100times better quality.

I would like to buy locally, need to try them on. One of the times I will use a LBS.

I dunno about the current ones, but I have a pair of old First Ascent Endurance bibs which have served me well. My Anatomics are also falling apart at the moment...

AFAIK, the Endurance bibs still have a slightly better chamois in them than the rest of the guys. I may be wrong wrt the new ones, but that's how it was back when I bought mine. Cape Storm - can't say... haven't ever had a pair.

I dunno about the current ones, but I have a pair of old First Ascent Endurance bibs which have served me well. My Anatomics are also falling apart at the moment...

AFAIK, the Endurance bibs still have a slightly better chamois in them than the rest of the guys. I may be wrong wrt the new ones, but that's how it was back when I bought mine. Cape Storm - can't say... haven't ever had a pair.

Thanks for that, is there anything I can look out for with regards to the chamois quality?

Anatomic qaulity issue it seems same issue falling apart my Mr Price sport 1 last longer. Endurance good quality or Craft

I bought a pair of Nalini at Design in Motion for under R 1000,00. They are the bees knees.

I bought a pair of Nalini at Design in Motion for under R 1000,00. They are the bees knees.

That's it rolling in style very nice

Caerus

If you could spend R1500 on a pair of Anatomics, then you can fork out R19oo for a pair of Assos T FI Mille S5 Bibs.

It is the most comfortable bib on the road and in the bush, and will last at LEAST twice as long as the Anatomic.

For my money, twice the return on your investment, excluding the hours of additional comfort...

Happy shopping

I'm a huge fan of Cape Storm in terms of cost/comfort, having only ever used First Ascent previously. :)

I've always used Capestorm. The lycra on my last pair of Nitros disappointed, but the chamois is nice and wide. I'll go back to the Matrix. Probably same made in China lycra, but cheaper than Nitros. My son rides First Ascent. I like them but they don't fit my build. No matter what size I try, the chamois ends up in the wrong place :huh: I think both brands are good value for money, so buy the one that fits you best.

Caerus

If you could spend R1500 on a pair of Anatomics, then you can fork out R19oo for a pair of Assos T FI Mille S5 Bibs.

It is the most comfortable bib on the road and in the bush, and will last at LEAST twice as long as the Anatomic.

For my money, twice the return on your investment, excluding the hours of additional comfort...

Happy shopping

I have both the Assos FI13's and Mille's. The issue with Assos is that they wear thin at the back after a while. They then become Arse-sos pants. The bibs that fits me best and last longest is the Vermarc Sport standard jobbies. Same chamois as the more expensive version and a more traditional fit.

The lycra on both Capestorm and First Ascent seems to wear out very quickly at the back. Rather spend a bit extra and get something that lasts.

I only managed to look at some First Acent today, the endurance & revolutions, could not try anything on as they had nothing in my size. The only differance being the padding, I'm basically paying R100 for a bit of extra foam. I could not even find a single pair of Cape Storm bibs to look at.

I did see some Fox bibs, not sure what they are like though, they are going for R625. There were some Santini Bibs that I have saw for R650 and another model going for R1100, not sure what they are like either.

I'm not sure I really want to spend R1800, its a lot of money, how long should they last if you are riding 4 or 5 times a week?

Damn, why is this so hard.

Caerus

Happy shopping

+1

I learnt the "hard" way haha....bust my backside on some real bargains....never again.