Bibs - Cape Storm or First Ascent?

Caerus

Try out Rockets/Medac. You can buy ready-made or you can have a pair custom-made for you. I have been riding with them for close to a year now and rate them extremely high.

I had a pair of rockets which lasted 2 rides before stiching came undone, returned to LBS and they gave me 10% of a pair of Castrellis and have not looked back! Looking at what one can get for R200 - R300 bucks these days i would just bite the bullet and skip a saturday lunch or drinks after work next week and you wont even know the difference.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I should jolly well hope so at that price, do they help you climb better or ride faster as well fix mechanicals if needed?

No but after 5hours on a bike you thank the gods that they have given you that short, oh and the bankmanager for giving the loan.

What is the benefit of riding with bib rather than normal cycling shorts?

Edited by MTB ker

It helps to keep the chamois in the correct place.

A bibshort stays in the same position throughout the ride where the shorts will start to move around when you change position on the saddle. I read somewhere that bibshorts were "invented" by a Tour de France rider that struggled with saddle sores, so he slapped on a pair of suspenders onto his wool cycling shorts.

And lube it up ! I doubt any bibs will be comfy if there is constant sweaty arse on material movement going on over 4+ hours

Is there a rating on chamois? I see First Ascent say they do them at an 80 or 100 for the foam

would not touch Cape Storm ever again ... one flippen arrogant attitude from marketing. The FA bib 's are great

I had some top level Cape Storm bibs. After about 5 months of 4-5 rides a week, any ride over 2 hours was just painful. I now ride Assos Mille and love it. Well worth the money. I hear the Uno's are also a real nice choice and are less money. Spend money on your bib shorts and you'll be a happier rider.

I had some top level Cape Storm bibs. After about 5 months of 4-5 rides a week, any ride over 2 hours was just painful. I now ride Assos Mille and love it. Well worth the money. I hear the Uno's are also a real nice choice and are less money. Spend money on your bib shorts and you'll be a happier rider.

I was looking at the Uno's and was going to be my next question, have looked online and whats the major differences besides the Mille are four panel cut as opposed to 6 panel on the Uno's

I have used Santini, Nalini and Assos. Our team then decided on using GSG Italian cycling kit and i swear by them and rate them on par with Assos. Our new GSG kit has come in the lazer cut design, very nice. You can pick up a pair of black bib pants for R890 and i can assure you, that you will not get better even at double the price.

Try Giordana's as well, I have Assos and Giordana's and I'm still trying to figure out which one is better.

If you find the right shop they will be in you budget aswell

I have used Santini, Nalini and Assos. Our team then decided on using GSG Italian cycling kit and i swear by them and rate them on par with Assos. Our new GSG kit has come in the lazer cut design, very nice. You can pick up a pair of black bib pants for R890 and i can assure you, that you will not get better even at double the price.

Where can I have a look at some? Do they have a website?

Out of 6 shops I've called and visited none of them stock Assos in Durban, I'm left with Giordana's or Kraft to choose from. The Giordana have two models I can choose from, the laser for R1760 or the Silverline for R1360. Then there are Kraft forR1450 less 40% these are the Elite Model.

Anyone know who the Assos agents are, and is it a good idea to buy without trying them on, my Anotomics where a medium.

How crazy that its so difficult to find a pair of Bib shorts, any suggestions from the Durban folk who else to call, I've tried Leighs, CycleLab Hillcrest, CycleMotion(westville), Cyclelab Gateway, Dave Wisemans, KT Cycles, Cyclesphere and Bring it On.

Only option so far to even try on is the Giordana, FFS.