MTB Chains

The Ghost

My bike has Shimano XT kit on it, are there any limitations to the different brands of chains I can use on it?

If not, what do you recommend (long lasting, easy to change etc)?

No. You can use any brand.

9 speed chains go on 9 speed kit so don't mix that.

Shimano and SRAM are great chains. Keep them clean and lubes, and own a chain wear indicator.

I like the Sram chains because of the power link, which makes removal and replacement of the chain very simple - great for cleaning.

To my knowlegde the XT chain is Nickle plated and wont rust, SLX is not and if you leave it dripping after a scrub in the coming winter sun while you suip a cold one, you will see traces of oxidisation on it, but it is not the end of the world. Wire brush solves all.

Edited by Honkdonk

Just a side note - Sram 10 speed master links do work on the Shimano 10-speed chains , even the directional chains.

I googled it extensively and tried it myself - works perfectly!

And Sram says they are single use apparently only becuase of patent infringement on a multi-use master link.

They make it very hard to remove it - you really benefit from having a pair of master link pliers to take them off.

Many people mentioned they had re-used them for the duration of a chains life with no issues.

Basically new chain new link though.

As many people pointed out there is essentially very little difference between the 9-speed and 10-speed master link's construction and durability.

Sram just needs to try and make out that its single use only so they don't get sued. But I'm not sure how they can still sell multi-use 9 speed master links , maybe the patent only applies to 10-speed master links

I have used a sram 9 speed power link on my xt 9 speed chain for years now. It works perfectly. Always carry powerlinks with you out on your ride.

And Sram says they are single use apparently only becuase of patent infringement on a multi-use master link.

They make it very hard to remove it - you really benefit from having a pair of master link pliers to take them off.

That sucks, I thought the cool of the master link meant you didnt need to have a tool.

Don't really need a tool (pliers) to remove the power link, but it sure does make it easier. If you keep your chain clean and dont drench it in lube every ride, they should be ok to it apart by hand... with a bit of swearing :-)

Don't really need a tool (pliers) to remove the power link, but it sure does make it easier. If you keep your chain clean and dont drench it in lube every ride, they should be ok to it apart by hand... with a bit of swearing :-)

That is true of the 9-speed Sram masterlink NOT the 10-speed masterlink.

There is no way in hell you will open a Sram 10-speed master link with bare hands

Unless maybe you have titanium robotic hands , then you'll be just fine

To my knowlegde the XT chain is Nickle plated and wont rust, SLX is not and if you leave it dripping after a scrub in the coming winter sun while you suip a cold one, you will see traces of oxidisation on it, but it is not the end of the world. Wire brush solves all.

My XT chain rusted,as did my XT cassette.

The Sram 10-speed masterlink is also not closeable by hand - you have to put it in the chain (the link is directional , must be pointing the correct way) and then move the link to somewhere near the front chainrings and then stand on the pedals and crank forward , there's a loud click as the link closes/locks.

Its also now called PowerLock™

I prefer Sram on my MTB when it comes to the groupset but for some reason i prefer running shimano chains on it. Always used XTR chains but have tried XT when i replaced it last time. My opinion that there is absolutely no diff in performence or durability between the XTR and XT chain. The diff in weight (small) does not justify the price difference.

Same goes for my road bike. Had a couple of Ultegra chains on my sram red groupset. Bikeshop fitted a sram red chain by mistake, which cost me a arm and a leg, and i can honestly say there is no diff in performence between the R600 sram red chain and the R260 Ultegra chain

I prefer Sram on my MTB when it comes to the groupset but for some reason i prefer running shimano chains on it. Always used XTR chains but have tried XT when i replaced it last time. My opinion that there is absolutely no diff in performence or durability between the XTR and XT chain. The diff in weight (small) does not justify the price difference.

Same goes for my road bike. Had a couple of Ultegra chains on my sram red groupset. Bikeshop fitted a sram red chain by mistake, which cost me a arm and a leg, and i can honestly say there is no diff in performence between the R600 sram red chain and the R260 Ultegra chain

ROFLMAO - love it