Is it legal for cyclists to ride on the pavement?

Skylark

I use the pavement of Jhb extensively as a survival tactic. The roads are murder.

But I always give pedestrians right of way. And have a small bell to ping them in necessary,  and try and be as courteous as possible.

Ditto. I started using pavement for a stretch of my ride to work some time ago because it's just insane to use the road. At narrow points along the way I always stop and give way to foot traffic, and make prodigious use of my bell (although the number of people with headphones these days often renders this pointless).If you're going to spend any amount of time on pavements, a bell is a must - and in my experience people are glad that you're warning them of your approach and move to the side quite happily.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i've started riding the pavements with my motorbike too, it's a great way to avoid traffic, and pedestrians literally jump out of your way when they hear the 650cc single cylinder coming at them!

i've started riding the pavements with my motorbike too, it's a great way to avoid traffic, and pedestrians literally jump out of your way when they hear the 650cc single cylinder coming at them!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :w00t:

Ja overall its probably not worth it, you just never know what frame of mind the recpient is in or what he / she is capable of doing as a result

Perhaps somene can tell / show us how to do a WTF sign by hand, less offensive than a zap or mirrel finger ?

The WTF sign is easy, just shake your head repeatedly and roll your eyes while looking in the person's direction?

EDIT : Although in truth that is more akin to "you are a bloody idiot but I'm sure you don't even know it"

I look in the persons direction and just tap my head with my fingers...... they get the picture :thumbup: Shaking of the head does nothing as far as I have learnt.........

Guys, just note that "pavement" may also refer to a road surface. So what was the question again?

I like taking a spin round the neighborhood on my Mtb but seeing I'm petrified of cars I ride on the pavement as much as is possible - its rather like riding trails anyway , you have to dodge trees , hop stuff etc.

I'm always very courteous to my foot stepping brethren and always give them right of way , maybe go on the road for a short while. I even slow right down when I see the grannies so I don't give them a speed wobble .

But is it legal for cyclists to ride on the pavement?

Some people do give me the evil eye and drivers coming out of their driveways seem to think they have right of way - they do get the middle finger extended if I almost get knocked over by their lack of decency. But I got ready to knock some lights out when a particularly smug trophy hunting Toyota Fortuner driver tried to get me under his bumper . I stopped myself from launching some foul language into his general direction because I wasn't sure if I as a cyclist am even allowed on the pavement and if so do I have the same right of way as a pedestrian?

You have no right to be on the pavement ,if you get knock over by a car coming out of the drive way you deserve it.

By giving the middle finger to the driver explains how much decency you have . That is why there is so much aggression on the roads and pavements. Well done .

You have no right to be on the pavement ,if you get knock over by a car coming out of the drive way you deserve it.

By giving the middle finger to the driver explains how much decency you have . That is why there is so much aggression on the roads and pavements. Well done .

A reply that's an oxymoron , never seen that before on thehub....

You beat him to it with "pedestrian who is riding a bike".

I was just thinking that there sure is some kind of moron on the hub.

Damn arrogant vehicles those.

Just wondering how a chunk of junk can take on a persona.

Should it not be the drivers of those vehicles ?

But anyway, what a thread, I read about teeth being knocked out and all sorts of other things.

Smells a little like short man syndrome to me.

oxycute 'em?

I was just thinking that there sure is some kind of moron on the hub.

Was thinking the same thing!!!

:)

Correct. But mine was intentional , to illustrate that I wanted to be classified as a pedestrian albeit one riding on 2 wheels....

This may sound stupid but does the law not state that a public road may only be used buy a licenced vehicle/driver ?

Bicycle use to be licenced in the old days you had to have one but not anymore so that means they not legally allowed on public roads , Pavements then are what ?

This may sound stupid but does the law not state that a public road may only be used buy a licenced vehicle/driver ?

Bicycle use to be licenced in the old days you had to have one but not anymore so that means they not legally allowed on public roads , Pavements then are what ?

I see the google is weak with you.