Simonsberg 60km Mtb Race

Big JD

Did this race this morning. The course was way tougher than I thought would be. Felt like the climbing was never ending.

The single track from around the 50 km mark was some of the toughest I have ever ridden. Thought I was going over the bars a few times.

Was a very hard ride, never thought it would be, 1750m of climbing aint easy. But im happy i did it i need the training for sani2c. That singletrack at the end was as technical as i have ever ridden in a race.

It was a brilliant race! It was tough but I loved it. Now I'm ready for Sani2c. I hope they make it an annual event.

Probably the best race route I've ever done.

My only negative comments would be: not having the profile available beforehand on the site (would not have been cycling Franschhoek pass and Helshoogte back-to-back the day before!) and the water points (seems like the two occupants at the first water point was more interested in each other than the race!)

The last 5 km was tough, with the last km having at least 200m of climbing. Apparently the steepest gradient was just under 30 degrees. Would be nice to know how many climbs > 25 degrees and the precentage of those in last 5 km?

Brilliant race, my garmin had only 1615m of climbing and 54km, but Mtbers always love spicing the KM and climbing....

Will be back next year but would like the event to remain small. 200 entrants this year in the 60km.

I was very cocky coming off Epic, that ended shortly after the first steep climbs. Simonsberg was spectacular close up.

Results?

I did not ride but did check out the profile which was available before hand on www.cmtbl.co.za. This is where I saw 1780 of climbing ahead and figured in that weather I would rather just have an easy day riding in the vinyeards. Sounds like it was great fun.

Also did this event and found it tough. Excellent route and scenery, but that last part too rough for me

Only became aware of this race yesterday afternoon when you guys started this thread.

How bout starting it BEFORE the event next time? ;)

Hope it becomes a yearly event.

Lovely, pristine singletrack and scenery. I enjoyed it a lot.

And its in a nice time slot in between the big stage events to keep the legs going.

Best part was no bottlenecks on singletrack, as the race started we climbed 400m in the first 5 km so by the time i got to the track the entire field was about 30 mins ahead of me.