Santa Cruz Tallboy or Cannondale Scalpel 2

Toxic

Yeah. I don't care about weight. I weigh 103 myself, so losing 300g on a hub is pointless, imho.

I also loooooove the way that free-wheel body sounds...

Word. I love pedalling up behind someone in single track, without them noticing and then backpedalling! Mostly, you don't have to say anything, they just move out the way:-)

Edited by G-Unit

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Word. I love pedalling up behind someone in single track, without them noticing and then backpedalling! Mostly, you don't have to say anything, they just move out the way:-)

Yeah. The Novatec hubs on my XCAMHT machine have a slightly more... calm... sound to them, but still sound awesome.

But when I freewheel the burly bike, and those Pro II's come alive... :wub:

If I can add my 5c..

You want to ride the bike for 5 years.. Your Tallboy will still be a top bike and probably not have been replaced by a new frame 4 times like the Cannondale would have.. Go look at a santacruz from 5 years ago, and a Dale from 2007.. see which holds the best value.

I agree that you can build the tallboy into a race bike by simply tweaking a few components, Ec wide flatbars, flip the stem If you really want to get the front low, etc. The way frames are going at the moment the geometry seems to be getting more relaxed in general and your tallboy's relax geometry might verywell be the direction the dale is heading into. I currently ride a Morewood Zula, but owned a Santacruz before and I'll be honnest, those cruz's are bloody amazing..

I'f I had to buy a bike I would have to ride for 5 years.. I'd not think twice..

Cool. OK the fact the you are the LBS makes a HUGE difference. :)

Yes it does help... just a point...away from bikes, look at cars, we all "like" a specific car, whether we can afford it or not, but when the time comes when we CAN afford it we buy what WE LIKE.... go with your gut feeling, try and ride each of the models you are interested in and not just a ride around the shop, try and demo them over a short course and then make a call. Bikes are expensive as we don't look at buying every year.... so satisfy your OWN needs. All the best...... :whistling: and Cannondale still rule. :oops: :clap:

• 3 weeks later...

Go Santa Cruz

Build a set oh Hope hubs onto a Stan's Flow rim.

Flow rims are almost like a free-ride rim, at only a few grams heavier than the Crest, and you will ding the Crest,

I have a set of wheels like this on my Niner RIP9, and they are one of the best parts on my bike.

Not a minutes hassle or maintenance in 2years.

A "fit and forget" part.

That suits me, less maintenance and more riding time...

Go Santa Cruz

Build a set oh Hope hubs onto a Stan's Flow rim.

Flow rims are almost like a free-ride rim, at only a few grams heavier than the Crest, and you will ding the Crest,

I have a set of wheels like this on my Niner RIP9, and they are one of the best parts on my bike.

Not a minutes hassle or maintenance in 2years.

A "fit and forget" part.

That suits me, less maintenance and more riding time...

PS, the difference in weight in between a Flow rim and old generation Arch is 70g, so well...

Edited by NINER_boy

Why choose if you can have the best of both worlds...Tallboy frame and Lefty shock :clap:

I stay in Perth Australia, and the problem is there is only One Santa Cruz shop here.

70 km from my house, Went there and I could only ride the bike in parking lot. Can't really get a feel for the bike.

Then I tried specialized epic expert (there are 4 shops in Perth) No stock till 2013, and the closest shop was also 60 km.

Was worried about support on these bikes... (If I would need so, it would be mission)

Cannondale has 8 shops in Perth, and with a shop in my local valley which had stock, and I negotiate a good price, I bought the scalpel earlier this week :) I hope to get it today, as they had to order the XTR brakes.

Look, I wanted the Santa Cruz, It looks awesome, especially black with red decals... But I decided to rather go for something more race orientated.

All I can say is, lets hope I made the right choice... :)

Edited by Toxic

get the 'dale, change the wheels and tyres, and ride the **** out of it... I have been riding mine now for about a month, love the bike. Nothing wrong with monarch rt3, thought I was going to change it myself, but it works perfectly(international forums rate it even better than rp23...). Cannondale SL cranks are nice, but price is a bit over the top(also consider race face next cranks). See details of new Mavic SLR 29er wheels coming soon

Is there any other reason to consider these cranks, except for the weight advantage? Or is there anything that I should know about the existing crank / BB on the dale?

Wheels? I'am trying to figure out which way to go with the wheels. I was thinking about the Mavic SLR (will be released in couple of months) or the Easton EA90 with a change to the front hub... any opinions on this? Would they be much better than the ZTR arch's that come with the bike?

Edited by Toxic

• 5 years later...

Hi, the Santa Cruz is the best bike I've ever ridden. (I've been a mtb'er for 18 years). PM me and I will geve you contact details to get a Tall Boy for allot cheaper. I will rather go for SRAM XX and Mavic crossmax wheels(bomb proof) See you at the 2013 Epic!

Hi Jake.

This is a whole 6 years later. I am looking for a new Tallboy 3.

I have asked for quotes from  few guys in cape town.

Do you still have a contact for Santa Cruz as in your post above.

Cheer

JJ