Acceptable behaviour in races

Scott24

madmarc, so what about the poor peeps that you send straight to hospital by switching them? you not even gonna bother to try to make amends? then you are no better than the stupid %^ who took me out in 'shova 2006

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my 8 cents worth (inflation!!) ........... nobody intentionally causes someone to crash. Sure you do get those who could be described as 'forceful' riders, but in the name of competition there are no friends at even 15 km/h. You'll find most people don't believe they caused the crash in the first place.

Anyway, if people suddenly slowed to find out how everyone was would that not cause an even bigger crash?

Can only be roadies (all so rude) - would never happen at a MTB race.

Was told at the Midvaal vets tour 2 years ago that when you have a problem (flat' date=' fall whatever) is when they attack .......... damn roadies!!!!!

[/quote']

I get a bit tired of these semi-humorous derogatory comments about roadies by mountain bikers. My guess is they stem from some kind of inferiority complex.

There is often very little to distinguish the two breeds of cyclist. Many participate in road and mountain events in equal proportion.

I have noticed unsportsmanlike behaviour at mountain bike races as well as at road races, and I'm sure that the offending parties at the mountain bike races were not all roadies, as some mountainbikers will no doubt suggest...

Jules2008-01-07 03:48:10

steve, my personal view is that if you take someone out, even untintentionally by stupid riding/lack of skill, then you move to the edge of the bunch and then go back to check on them. if you are so self-opinionated to think that you didn't do anything wrong by switching someone then you deserve any AAK you might get. it is that type of attitude that has drivers taking out other road users the whole time as well.

I agree slowpoke...it is decent to go back. Roadies do have a tendancy of being a little ignorant as to what happens behind us in a bunch...sad really.

madmarc' date=' so what about the poor peeps that you send straight to hospital by switching them? you not even gonna bother to try to make amends? then you are no better than the stupid %^ who took me out in 'shova 2006[/quote']

As much as i sympathise with you (I been sent to hospital twice by being switched in a group) But in all reality and as much as I hate to admit it. If you got switched in a group, you are to blame. 99% of the time, a rider gets switched because they overlapped wheels, a cardinal sin in group riding. (Normally only done by MTB riders, in their 1st road raceTongue)

You need to anticipate the sudden deceleration of the rider in front of you, especially when they decide to stand up, (this is when most overlapping and switching happens)

Once you have evaded hitting the tarAngry, the polite thing to do is to ride up to the offending rider and slap them on the back of the helmet and tell them to ride properly or get out the group. BUT BE POLITE!!!!!! Us roadies have a bad enough name as it is.

madmarc, reality check dude...

according to the witnesses the following occured:

- a bunch came around a corner. there was a pothole and the bunch opened up around it.

- i came around the corner faster tahn the bunch - appreaing to be overtaking.

- i saw what was happening and moved wide

- the girl at the back of the bunch overreacted and swerved out much wider than the bunch and took me out

now would it really have been difficult for her to have either only moved as wide as she'd needed to or to have glanced to check before making a 90degree swerve? i was apparently very wide of the bunch - clearly intent on getting past them without any of them tagging along for the ride (at least that is how one of the witnesses, himself a cyclist just not riding that day, put it)

so don't come with your bullsh*t that it was my fault

p.s. madmarc, it's not even as if that was a racing bunch - i'd started with the racing ladies. i vaguely recalled suffering on fox and being with a small back-marker bunch. i can recall stopping to ask Cruxie for a foot pump - he says i apparently had had a puncture. so that means it was some inconsequential bunch i was passing - so the stupid %*^&* really had no excuse for daft manouvres

Coming from an MTB background, it does take a certain amount of skill to ride in a bunch on the road and even more skill to bunny hop over fallen riders especially when you don't have any suspension to cushion your landing.

But I suppose your actions will differ whether you are an elite rider gunning for a win or a middle to back of the pack rider out for a Sunday jaunt.

Slowpoke, with that kind of response you got to be a roadie!!!!. I really like your attitude, i'll ride with you anytime & if you are riding Campag i'll ride with you all the time

I have been involved in 2 bunch crashes and on both instances it was not my fault. The risk of falling in a bunch is always there. Yes I was angry but will I stop racing? No! I think that rookies to be coached and trained before taking part in races!

madmarc, i don't ride campy (other than in my dreams, but one day i'll be able to upgrade) and my mtb shares what was the diningroom area with the TCR. i'm also not planning to race or participate in any big event other than as a marshal. so i think that leaves me as a 100% true blooded FUN RIDER!

madmarc' date=' i don't ride campy (other than in my dreams, but one day i'll be able to upgrade) and my mtb shares what was the diningroom area with the TCR. i'm also not planning to race or participate in any big event other than as a marshal. so i think that leaves me as a 100% true blooded FUN RIDER![/quote']

Well this christmas i had a bit of loose change lying around so i broke down and acquired a brand new Shimano equiped MTB. But it has been relegated to the garage. I just cannot see the thing sharing the lounge with the Campy equiped Colnago. That would be just plain wrong!!!!!!!!

Hey Jules didn't mean to offend! I took it from them as they intended in jest at the time, keeping in mind one of their team cars helped us out along the way no problem.

Many here will know that I come from a road riding / Iron Man triathlon back ground but have 'migrated' to MTB as that is my son's favoured discipline. And in fact it irks some that I still maintain that the purest form of cycling is riding a road bike at high speed in a bunch with each knowing his place and it just flowing along (beside the TT which I guess will remain the 'race of truth'!).