Polar CS300 Irregular heart rate?

jedimastersa

Hi all,

Hoping for some help and/or tips please. I have searched this forum for CS300 issues but nothing similar to what I have. :wacko:

My CS300 is fairly new, bought it in Jan this year. The Cadence sensor is working fine and the speed sensor is working fine. (Even though I find my GPS to be way more accurate on distance travelled.)

The problem I have is with the HR monitor. I have followed the instructions of where I should wear the strap, it is wet when I put it on. The strap is a tight as it can be without hurting whilst I ride.

But...The watch (mounted on the bars) picks up my heart rate and works fine for a while, a while being an indefinite amount of time. But every so often it will lose signal for a few minutes, not such a problem, but when it regains signal my HR shows as 225+ bpm, then slowly drops down to what my heart rate is...? The problem I have is almost all my work outs show this as my Max HR which is not true...would definitely know if I pushed that hard and would definitely not be posting here if I knew it was correct.

I have moved my GPS off my handle bars as to try eliminate interference, it sits in my shirt pocket or Camelbak's pouch. I understand it could lose signal when crossing under power lines etc...but often in the middle of nowhere it will just lose signal when my HR is at a constant 140 bpm and then does as described above.

Thoughts? Is it a faulty unit? Am I doing something wrong?

I had the same kind of problem with my CS300, but only use the HR function, shows my hr% at like 111% for few minutes and then fixes itself.

Found that when I restart the session it normally sorts out the problem, irritating though!! :cursing:

just on your GPS being more accurate than your speed sensor - you should look at double checking your wheel size. the speed sensor should be more accurate when it has been set up correctly.

With regards to the HR issue. Have you checked the battery? My HR used to do big jumps like that as well due to an old battery that needed replacement. The replacement sorted this out.

I suggest you take your items in to polar. I had an issue with my HR unit, I took it in, they tested it right there and then and replaced it free of charge due to a fault on the unit.

Hi all,

Hoping for some help and/or tips please. I have searched this forum for CS300 issues but nothing similar to what I have. :wacko:

My CS300 is fairly new, bought it in Jan this year. The Cadence sensor is working fine and the speed sensor is working fine. (Even though I find my GPS to be way more accurate on distance travelled.)

The problem I have is with the HR monitor. I have followed the instructions of where I should wear the strap, it is wet when I put it on. The strap is a tight as it can be without hurting whilst I ride.

But...The watch (mounted on the bars) picks up my heart rate and works fine for a while, a while being an indefinite amount of time. But every so often it will lose signal for a few minutes, not such a problem, but when it regains signal my HR shows as 225+ bpm, then slowly drops down to what my heart rate is...? The problem I have is almost all my work outs show this as my Max HR which is not true...would definitely know if I pushed that hard and would definitely not be posting here if I knew it was correct.

I have moved my GPS off my handle bars as to try eliminate interference, it sits in my shirt pocket or Camelbak's pouch. I understand it could lose signal when crossing under power lines etc...but often in the middle of nowhere it will just lose signal when my HR is at a constant 140 bpm and then does as described above.

Thoughts? Is it a faulty unit? Am I doing something wrong?

Check the strap's battery. Can cause similar problems.

just on your GPS being more accurate than your speed sensor - you should look at double checking your wheel size. the speed sensor should be more accurate when it has been set up correctly.

With regards to the HR issue. Have you checked the battery? My HR used to do big jumps like that as well due to an old battery that needed replacement. The replacement sorted this out.

I suggest you take your items in to polar. I had an issue with my HR unit, I took it in, they tested it right there and then and replaced it free of charge due to a fault on the unit.

Yebo, same issue....Polar's service is good as well, imo anyway

exact same error, hr goes 225 for a while, normally in the beginning of the ride so i just reset it, but need to take it back to check it out, bought mine in Dec

Flatt battery?? The device is still new? Interesting!

Thanks will take it to Polar as soon as!

Will they help with wheel size setup? I did as instructed in the manual but clearly I cant read or follow instructions...hahaha!

Flatt battery?? The device is still new? Interesting!

Thanks will take it to Polar as soon as!

Will they help with wheel size setup? I did as instructed in the manual but clearly I cant read or follow instructions...hahaha!

Yea take it to polar...they will sort you out

Wheelsize....easy peasy...don't go according to the manual or google. Make a mark with chalk on your wheel and floor, do one revolution in a straight line of your wheel until the chalk spot is in the same position. Measure distance between the two points and input in mm into watch...should be more accurate than GPS.

Wheelsize....easy peasy...don't go according to the manual or google. Make a mark with chalk on your wheel and floor, do one revolution in a straight line of your wheel until the chalk spot is in the same position. Measure distance between the two points and input in mm into watch...should be more accurate than GPS.

Awesome thanks man! :thumbup:

Yip - this wheel set up works my S725 wrist unit is 100% accurate with cadence and distance .............. it's just the frikken HR that spikes and sometimes shows 205+ bpm !!!!. Tried moving the strap, new battery and even wearing a tee shirt between stap and cycling jersy to prevent static - HR still spikes !

Yip - this wheel set up works my S725 wrist unit is 100% accurate with cadence and distance .............. it's just the frikken HR that spikes and sometimes shows 205+ bpm !!!!. Tried moving the strap, new battery and even wearing a tee shirt between stap and cycling jersy to prevent static - HR still spikes !

Maybe it's just one of those things we have to live with... :thumbdown:

Another Polar question (don't want to start another thread just for this), I have a FT4 and recently I got a small 2 in a circle on the bottom right hand corner and I can not get rid of it, any suggestions??

When last did you wash the strap?

Good question. Should be washed every now and then. i've also got the S725X, I keep my strap clean (rinse it after every ride and machine wash it once a month) and I do not get spikes.

I rinse it after most rides. But cleaned/rinsed/washed it with hot water and soap after my ride on Tuesday. Have also machine washed it once or twice since I have had it.

Good question. Should be washed every now and then. i've also got the S725X, I keep my strap clean (rinse it after every ride and machine wash it once a month) and I do not get spikes.

If its one of those !!üèkç&!! "mesh cloth" Wear LInk comfortable type straps the OP's problem most likely lies with the strap. I've had a few of these mesh cloth straps and they are useless after a few months, tried everything that polar recommend (washing the strap) and inevitably end up with the same issue as the OP.

Luckily the CS300 (CS Range in general) also works with the older type "rubber" strap (thinks its the T31 strap) and never had a problem again. Just one lick and away you go, works perfectly everytime.

Only *** is its a sealed unit and you cannot replace the battery, but they last pretty damn long (at least 2 years of average use). You used to get 2 kinds the T31 and T31c, the T31c is the coded version.

Edited by SwissVan