Joe's Tubeless Rim Strips : Rave

leeu52

Bought a kit for a 29er + slime and converted standard rims and standard tyres to 100% tubeless in 20 minutes!!!

Went back, bought another kit and converted the gardener' Makro special to tubeless in 30 minutes!!!! Needed 10 mins ectra to find spanner to get wheels off and on.

No more rim tape for me....this kit has valve integrated in rubber lining that stretches around the rim....amazing/fast/easy

Hi Leeu,

I am pleased that your convert was a good one. I had mine done 6 months ago but still have to pump the tyres 2x a week to keep them inflated.

Even with the hassel of the pumping, it is still worth while.

Well done

Sarge

Leeu,

How much did it set you back?

On my Spez Rockhopper I have 2bliss ready tyres, but the rims need to get the conversion.

See you are in Centurion as well, so when I'm ready, can I come to you for lessons perhaps?

Off course we can negotiate as to how many beers you may need :thumbup:

Leeu,

On my Spez Rockhopper I have 2bliss ready tyres, but the rims need to get the conversion.

See you are in Centurion as well, so when I'm ready, can I come to you for lessons perhaps?

R240 plus 1/2 bottle R70.00 slime

The "old" way is 2xR60.00 valves, plus R100+ Riim tape = R220 + suitable rims and only certain types of tyres.

Leeu,

With this kit...no lessons required..just a beer or two :clap:

Rim tape and valves....that can be a different story.....my first effort ended in an explosion and a garage covered in green slime! :eek:

Bet the kit cost more than the gardener's bike!

The happy gardener who can take shortcuts through the veld was more than worth the expense! He refuses to wash the slime residue off the rims as it proves his tyres are tubeless :w00t:

Although there were various discussions regarding tubeless I still don't really understand it. (Sorry.....I am a bit slow) lol

I took both my bikes to a shop and they converted them to tubeless with new tyres that is UST. That set me back a few bob!!

Now my daughter and my wife bikes still run on tubes (Merida Race and Maxxix). All these tyres is about 80% and would be total waist to rip off and replace with UST.

Can I make them tubeless for them. They're not racing snakes and dont think they will ever reach the point of burping the tyre. Please give some suggestions here?

Although there were various discussions regarding tubeless I still don't really understand it. (Sorry.....I am a bit slow) lol

I took both my bikes to a shop and they converted them to tubeless with new tyres that is UST. That set me back a few bob!!

Now my daughter and my wife bikes still run on tubes (Merida Race and Maxxix). All these tyres is about 80% and would be total waist to rip off and replace with UST.

Can I make them tubeless for them. They're not racing snakes and dont think they will ever reach the point of burping the tyre. Please give some suggestions here?

Some of the serious-racing-tyres have very soft beading which makes them difficult to inflate on ordinary rims. An uneducated guess on what you describe, I think you might get those to work if you follow the process explained elsewhere on the hub.......Joe's tubeless rimstrips + slime + soapy water to help the tyre seat on the rim + bomb or compressor to do initial inflate (take out valve so air can rush in).

Leeu, cool thanks! When the time is right, the beer will be ice cold! Hehe, but I would first give it a bash myself, shouldn't be too difficult! Btw, where in Centurion are u? We're in RHK North

• 2 weeks later...

Leeu, cool thanks! When the time is right, the beer will be ice cold! Hehe, but I would first give it a bash myself, shouldn't be too difficult! Btw, where in Centurion are u? We're in RHK North

Irene

There was a big explosion yesterday at 2pm. We eventually located the crime scene. It was the sundrenched dry, now slimey, wall of the gardener's room. The steel wire beading sticking out of the front tyre told the rest of the story.

The moral of the story: If you do a R300.00 tubeless conversion on a R600 bike the new nett value is NOT R900. It is R450, because that is the price of the UST tyre!