SA mtb culture?

gravitydoesnotsuck

Hi All.

I'm considering moving back to SA after 15 years away ( hence the newbieness on the forum ) and have a few honest questions about SA mtb culture.

To be honest, and its a fairly unscientific sample, my view of SA mtbing as gathered on biannual visits to the folks is that its very race and crosscountry biased, witness loads of lycra and (on the last trip) wall to wall 29ers.

I currently live in a city (wellington, NZ) with a stupid amount of quality singletrack (500km plus within the city according to a local track guide) where I get to indulge in riding my Blur up long climbs and down loads of expert tech trails that require long travel. No need for 29ers and its pretty rare to even get in the big ring!

So my questions

Will I find this in SA and specifically Somerset West and sorrounds? I dont mind the occasional race at all, but this is the fun stuff as far as I'm concerned.

Are their many enduro style events? Giant downhill? Tech hillclimb races?

Whats the deal with medical aid and sports injury? I push it occasionally and have smashed myself up over the years, but medical was pretty much free everywhere I lived overseas

The first question is the one I'm really interested to the answer of. Beyond the mtbing it would be good to get back though, close to the family and closer to the sun!

Help me out...

Welcome back. Ride what you like. Don't be intimidated by all of the 29ers. We have always been ahead of NZ anyway...

Ahhh... someone after my own heart. Unfortunately us technical trail riders are in the minority in SA unfortunately.

On the plus side, the Western Cape is the right region to find a number of the better gravity trails - especially places like Tokai and Majik Forest. I don't stay there (wish I did) but the locals on the Hub will be able to point you to some other good trails.

edit: grammar sux

Edited by slick

Welcome back. Ride what you like. Don't be intimidated by all of the 29ers. We have always been ahead of NZ anyway...

Hahahahahahaha!

And while MTBers may seem aggresssive going by posts on this forum, they generally don't get video-ed thumping each other on the trail like that fella on the Flying Nun vid.

Welcome back.

south africans are race marathon xco mad some will even stab you with a knife defending it(haha) and their ego's

but in all honesty gravity enduro events are few and far between and the general riding although nice are sometimes not all that techy?

those trails in NZ look awesome!they did a feature of them a while ago.

i dont know to much of the riding around somerset but surely someone will be able to point you in the right direction...

best of luck

Ha! the thumper is actually pretty well known in nz mtb circles. Used to be a **** hot racer but now that hes older and fatter he gets angry when people pass him! Thanks for the other replies. I've been to jonkershoek sans bike for a run but could'nt find much. Probably need a local to show me around.

Ss west and stellenbosch have some awesome trails for what you describe. There are no enduro style events in the western cape (yet) but the dh scene is doing ok so come do a couple dh races, its a blast and not too serious , especially in the fun class... And don't stress too much about the lycra brigade blocking all the trails, just chill and have a chat while they high post it down the track after cutting in front of you at the top!

I feel the same way as you,thou I have a xc and an all mountain bike more often use the am for the rough stuff fun riding.

SA is realative new on the mtb scene.The flavor is towards xc, but the recently introduced enduro riding style may gain more interest in your riding preference.

I think the trail riding scene will grow in the recent future.

For quite useful Medical product go to www.sweatsafe.co.za . It fills the space where a Hospital Plan doesn't kick in yet. Full Medical Aid is pricey, unless it's paid for by the company.

The trail riding scene should be able to grow. You only have to stand in Swest and look around at the ring of mountains to realise that the raw materials are certainly there! Is land access a problem? I dont suppose the govt is too ibnterested in mtbers, even though mtb tourism is a huge market if you develop your trail and support network intelligently, witness just about anywhere in the Alps or rockies, Utah, BC, Rotorua and Queenstown NZ, eben Nepal and parts of the Andes are really taking off

Somerset west you have within 20km radius...Jonkershoerk, grabouw, oak valley, lebanon, lourensford. Not bad ...not bad at all

Gnds

Are you basing your decision on moving back here mainly on the quality and type of mtb trails, or are you coming home anyway?

Somerset west you have within 20km radius...Jonkershoerk, grabouw, oak valley, lebanon, lourensford. Not bad ...not bad at all

Thandi has also reopened