29 April 2012

Online Entries Close:

26 April 2012 at 12:00

Venue:

Babba’s Lodge, Bultfontein

Province:

Gauteng North

Distance:

70km (R130), 35km (R110), 12km (R60), 1km Brats (R30)

Starting Time:

08:00

Timed By:

Spectrum Sport Timing

Number Collection:

At the venue, Babba's Lodge, Bultfontein;

Sunday 29 April 2012, from 06:00

Additional Information:

You will be required to produce your valid CSA license at registration or you will be required to purchase a day license.

Results will be listed HERE

To enter, click HERE

Go to Event Page

Another Lion story will prevent you from doing the full 70 or 35km :cursing:

Why would that be?

Why would that be?

Simple,every time I do the race there is a Lion that supposedly got out of it's enclosure and the race is shortened.............

You evidently don't do the event that often then.

In the 3 years that we have been there I recall it happening twice.

People have also been warned to not swim in the dam, as there are crocodiles.

I have never heard of anyone encountering a lion or crocodile while riding there though.

The route has been changed in the interim, with the lion enclosure section now not being part of the event.

Yo! Someone had a moerse crash on one of the new downhill sections.

Anyone know if the ou is OK?

If you're referring to the fall at 25km I would also like to know how he is. I did not see it happen and I arrived a few minutes later where other riders were attending to him. He really looked out of it and I was most pleased to see the bakkie coming to collect him. I hope he is okay.

Jip, that one, he was in a bad state when I saw him, dust just settled after he fell when I passed. Couple of guys has just stopped, so I rode to the water point around the next corner or so and asked them to phone Andre.

Looked bad

Jip, that one, he was in a bad state when I saw him, dust just settled after he fell when I passed. Couple of guys has just stopped, so I rode to the water point around the next corner or so and asked them to phone Andre.

Looked bad

On a side note - Only ONE single waterpoint. Pathetic really! I passed two ladies who were alking. Clearly dead tired - this was at the first little rocky climb - as I passed them the asked how far the next waterpoint was. i answered: MOER VER!

Just one waterpoint in 30 degrees C. Now that sucks!

On a side note - Only ONE single waterpoint. Pathetic really! I passed two ladies who were alking. Clearly dead tired - this was at the first little rocky climb - as I passed them the asked how far the next waterpoint was. i answered: MOER VER!

Just one waterpoint in 30 degrees C. Now that sucks!

if one waterpoint on a flat 35km stretch (i.e. 17.5 km in between) dont do it you must invest in a camelpack

if one waterpoint on a flat 35km stretch (i.e. 17.5 km in between) dont do it you must invest in a camelpack

Agreed. I also passed those two. They were very overweight and probably just starting out. I am sure next time they'll be sorted with CamelBak packs.

Edited by Andreas M3

Also wonder why you would want more than 1 point on a 30km downhill race . Anyway you will only do one MTB race unprepaired !!!

BTW the gentleman hit a hole where the scraper have lifted a rock . Very highspeed crash .

Edited by dirt-rider

I stopped at the crash a minute or so after it happened, there were 2 guys helping, I couldn't bring myself to just pass so stopped, got out my first aid kit and a very helpful lady stopped and started to clean him up. He looked concussed, in a real daze. He had cuts on his face and arms but nothing broken as far as we cold see. By the time the truck arrived he was patched nicely. Not sure who the lady in the pink shirt was who stopped,but thanks, you really took charge. And thanks to the guy who stopped and handed over some alcohol swabs also.

Reason I couldn't just pass is that I got knocked off my MTB a couple years back and broke my arm. I will never forget the appreciation I felt for the two guys who stayed with me that day, a crash victim benefits from having people near them, talking to them and generally helping the time pass until professional help arrives.

Trelawney, I stopped for a brief moment and what struck me was how in the lady with the pink shirt took charge, good on her :thumbup: . I think she sacrificed her race to take care of a fellow rider which is even more admirable. I took off to find a marshall but someone thankfully got to them before me and the truck was on the way to collect him.

I must admit when I saw they had graded the jeep track I was uncomfortable because the grader tends to hide the imperfections in the track with loose sand. The 70km riders and 35km racers were mixing it on the downhill, so in a way I was not surprised to see the rider down.

Any news on the rider's condition?

Agree that the downhill was hectic, lots of loose sand and gravelly bits, I'm sure a number of people came off.

No news I am aware of the 'crashee', hopefully he saw a doc for the concussion.

As for Mrs Pink, she left the scene a minute before me and I never saw her on the route after that, perhaps she did the 35 km ... Or I just never managed to catch up to her on the 70 km, quite likely !

Was a great race though, my third one from Babbas, I'll be back :-)