Coffee machine

You've got it all wrong - hit'n'miss and grinding is the fun part.

If you like the MacDonalds approach to coffee then Nespresso is the machine for you... If you like experimenting then you have to do your own grinding and blending.

That said - we have an early model Nespresso machine in the office and that little sucker has made over 30 cups a day for 6 years. I can unreservedly recomend them. Damn - thats like 60,000 cups of coffee. Go Nespresso!

:lol: - Okay, fair enough,...........maybe I should have said I am just lazy and its easier to let Nespresso do the blending. :rolleyes:

.....yeah, tough little machines, I bought one of the first here and I drink a lot of coffee, obviously nowhere near 60.0000 cups - its probably much more......................! :D

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: - Okay, fair enough,...........maybe I should have said I am just lazy and its easier to let Nespresso do the blending. :rolleyes:

.....yeah, tough little machines, I bought one of the first here and I drink a lot of coffee, obviously nowhere near 60.0000 cups - its probably much more......................! :D

Nespresso is brilliant for that - in 30 secs you can have a decent cup of brewed coffee. I find the pods are quite consistent from batch to batch too so you know what you're in for.

Plus - I have had some truly bad beans...

my 2 cents worth

I have a Francis Francis X7 which uses the Illy coffee capsule.

http://www.illycoffee.co.za/shop/product_info.php?products_id=110

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1806815,00.html

I have had the machine 5 months now and it makes an awesome cup of coffee, and i mean totally awesome (see the above review), but like the others have said, it ties you in to using pods and those pods get expensive.

The pods cost R6.32/each - I have two to three strong cups of coffee each morning (using 2 pods to make a cup), over weekends I have a fair bit more. Plus people come round, you have a few coffees etc, So lets say on average I use 8 pods a day.

8pods x 365 days x R6.32/pod = R18 454.40/year

3 year life cycle - R55 363.20

Factor in the cost of the machine = R2700, I am looking at spending R58k on coffee at home over the next three years.

Which is a whole lot more than I initially thought....

Now, a 250g tin of Illy coffee beans should produce 30 cups of coffee. So thats R82 a tin, giving you cost of R2.73 a cup.

8 cups x 365 days x 2.73/cup = R7 971/year

3 year life cycle = R 23 914.

Now, suddenly spending R20k plus on a Jura Impressa no longer seems that expensive. And i am sure the Jura will last 5 to 8 years at a minimum

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/jura-impressa-z5-1.html

that said - my Francis Francis sure is pretty.

So....

take the machines and pods for a test run - do the maths - then decide...

8pods x 365 days x R6.32/pod = R18 454.40/year

3 year life cycle - R55 363.20

I usually use the Woolies organic coffee beans @ R165/kg.

Gives me probably 5 cups of coffee a day for a month.

Add the cost of the Sprada, probably R8k, and over 3 years I pay R14k to your R55k. :eek:

My machine is 6 years old and going strong.

.. and the coffee is freshly ground.

And no, I don't work for Sprada.

http://www.sprada.co.za/

Edited by GhostRider2

I usually use the Woolies organic coffee beans @ R165/kg.

Gives me probably 5 cups of coffee a day for a month.

Add the cost of the Sprada, probably R8k, and over 3 years I pay R14k to your R55k. :eek:

My machine is 6 years old and going strong.

.. and the coffee is freshly ground.

And no, I don't work for Sprada.

http://www.sprada.co.za/

which is why when my current hoard of pods runs out - I am going to cut my losses and get me a Jura...

Coffee appreciation is all about involvement. The more hands on the process, the better the experience. If it's about convenience, then go Nespresso.

which is why when my current hoard of pods runs out - I am going to cut my losses and get me a Jura...

I like a convert. Enjoy the real coffee! :thumbup:

my 2 cents worth

The pods cost R6.32/each - I have two to three strong cups of coffee each morning (using 2 pods to make a cup), over weekends I have a fair bit more. Plus people come round, you have a few coffees etc, So lets say on average I use 8 pods a day.

Nespresso pods are a bit cheaper at around 5 bucks a pop, but still the sums do look quite scary dont they? - luckily I dont put a price on some things, coffee been one of them. :rolleyes:

Coffee appreciation is all about involvement. The more hands on the process, the better the experience. If it's about convenience, then go Nespresso.

Absolutely! I have a basic 3-in-1 Russell Hobbs, filter coffee + espresso and steamer. Want to get a bigger machine inc grinder in the future, but not automatic.

382764_10150402885256134_596391133_8476156_1523255041_n.jpg

Seeing as all the coffee lovers are here in one place..... I have a Russell Hobbs 3 in 1 that has some serious issues in the Espresso department. Due to negligence, some water was left in the water tank and with it being ally of some sort, I now have a lot of oxidisation in the tank. Is there anyway that I can put a chemical inside to clean it up so I can use it again? If so what chemical can I use?

Ironically i was at @home today to buy a Nespresso Citz Coffee machine and milk frother for R3750.

Bumped into a nespresso rep there luckily who told me to wait until monday.

Monday they are launching some new machine that is a fully automatic one touch machine that makes latte's/cappucino's etc at the touch of the button.

Its a one touch machine,

The price for all this convenience (my coffee goal) R4300 (but they give you a R400 coffee voucher) so its actually R3900 for the latest model.

So i am going to wait until monday for my machine.

Seeing as all the coffee lovers are here in one place..... I have a Russell Hobbs 3 in 1 that has some serious issues in the Espresso department. Due to negligence, some water was left in the water tank and with it being ally of some sort, I now have a lot of oxidisation in the tank. Is there anyway that I can put a chemical inside to clean it up so I can use it again? If so what chemical can I use?

I use the descaling tablets in the water tank now and again to get that cleaned up.

The cleaning tablets mentioned go into the coffee compartment and clean that part of the system.

I am not sure if these products are suitable for your specific machine though.

Cleaning Tablets Per pack 10 tablets R61.40 R70.00 Descaling Tablets Per pack 10 tablets R96.49 R110.00 Water Filter Per item R127.19 R145.00

Available here:

http://www.sprada.co...-price-list.php

Edited by GhostRider2

Ironically i was at @home today to buy a Nespresso Citz Coffee machine and milk frother for R3750.

Bumped into a nespresso rep there luckily who told me to wait until monday.

Monday they are launching some new machine that is a fully automatic one touch machine that makes latte's/cappucino's etc at the touch of the button.

Its a one touch machine,

The price for all this convenience (my coffee goal) R4300 (but they give you a R400 coffee voucher) so its actually R3900 for the latest model.

So i am going to wait until monday for my machine.

Hmm, maybe I must also go lookie-see, mine is one of the first that came out, its got the milk frother and stuff but its a sort of separate unit to the machine, just fits together and to be honest I hardly use it as its a bit of a hassle. A one touch approach looks like an easier method.

We only have a few models here, when I was in France in November I was looking at the ranges there and its a much wider choice, a bit cheaper too even if you count in the freight and Vat, but only by a small amount - a few hundred bucks, otherwise pretty much the same as here.

Hmm, maybe I must also go lookie-see, mine is one of the first that came out, its got the milk frother and stuff but its a sort of separate unit to the machine, just fits together and to be honest I hardly use it as its a bit of a hassle. A one touch approach looks like an easier method.

We only have a few models here, when I was in France in November I was looking at the ranges there and its a much wider choice, a bit cheaper too even if you count in the freight and Vat, but only by a small amount - a few hundred bucks, otherwise pretty much the same as here.

Will post pics and do a full review on tuesday.

I had a Russell Hobbs bean-cup machine for 5 years (cost R4500.00) but when it broke they had been discontinued for a while and parts where no longer available.

I now have a Delonghi machine that cost R6000.00 and makes cappuccino at the press of a button