Coffee machine

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where to buy. How does it compare to coffee from the other more mainstream countries etc.

Ah... 

My mate has gotten some green before. Not sure on his roasting process but the coffee was pretty good! 

Hi Skylark

I am considering purchasing an ABID clever dripper. Once you receive yours please post a short review on it.

Will do, should arrive sometime this week, I'd also like to hear the experiences of those who alos ordered it. But considering iteachcoffee's endorsement and all the positive reviews on Amazon etc I really can't see it going wrong.

One point I did notice reviews mentioning is that it is a little fragile, one bad drop onto tiles/concrete and you can potentially write it off, something to keep in mind if you like making coffee when drunk or half asleep :D

Edited by Skylark

Will do, should arrive sometime this week, I'd also like to hear the experiences of those who alos ordered it. But considering iteachcoffee's endorsement and all the positive reviews on Amazon etc I really can't see it going wrong.

One point I did notice reviews mentioning is that it is a little fragile, one bad drop onto tiles/concrete and you can potentially write it off, something to keep in mind if you like making coffee when drunk or half asleep :D

Haha will keep that in mind!

I'll probably end up having 2 of them, one at home and one at the office. Was thinking of setting up a small personal coffee station in my office, for that occasion when you need to breath for 5 mins not to kill someone :whistling: .

How does one learn how to drink black coffee? Is it a matter of going cold turkey, stopping the milk completely and hanging in there till you like it? I use to drink 2 sugars and milk, however I have moved off of the sugar completely now (took me about a month to get used to it).

I'll probably end up having 2 of them, one at home and one at the office. Was thinking of setting up a small personal coffee station in my office, for that occasion when you need to breath for 5 mins not to kill someone :whistling: .

How does one learn how to drink black coffee? Is it a matter of going cold turkey, stopping the milk completely and hanging in there till you like it? I use to drink 2 sugars and milk, however I have moved off of the sugar completely now (took me about a month to get used to it).

I'd go cold turkey, and then have a coffee with milk once in each week (much like a cheat meal for those on a strict eating plan). By the time 3-4 weeks are done, you'll be used to the taste without.

As gerald said, the best would be to just start doing without milk, but if you love coffee that might spoil it for you. You could try to wean yourself off of the milk. Just pour a little less each day/2nd day.

I'm at such a point now where I prefer to drink milk(very very little) but if there is no milk I can drink it black as well.

Also what do you guys recommend as a proper, budget friendly coffee machine?

Should one consider the capsule based machines, or do you get cheapish espresso machines that you can brew a proper coffee on?

Also what do you guys recommend as a proper, budget friendly coffee machine?

Should one consider the capsule based machines, or do you get cheapish espresso machines that you can brew a proper coffee on?

Dont get a capsule machine, rather get something like an aeropress or even a stove top mocha pot. 

Both produce good coffee for very little money.

Dont get a capsule machine, rather get something like an aeropress or even a stove top mocha pot. 

Both produce good coffee for very little money.

My dad has an aeropress and it's great, just a bit timely when you need to make more than 1 cup.

Why not capsule machines?

Depends on how you consider fragile. I have taken mine camping, 4x4 etc without bothering to protect it. Dropped them on the kitchen floor etc. My early ones (6-7 yearsold) previous material, show some plastic stress marks (no cracks as such, think more pre-crack marks if there is such a thing, and one broke a foot (still completely useable)) Current material, last four or so years, no sign of wear whatsoever. Thy DO NOT require careful use, although I would not recommend them as a ball replacement in contact sports or regular dropping onto concrete (why would you do that? )

In short, they can handle life, but probably not abuse... Does that help?

Depends on how you consider fragile. I have taken mine camping, 4x4 etc without bothering to protect it. Dropped them on the kitchen floor etc. My early ones (6-7 yearsold) previous material, show some plastic stress marks (no cracks as such, think more pre-crack marks if there is such a thing, and one broke a foot (still completely useable)) Current material, last four or so years, no sign of wear whatsoever. Thy DO NOT require careful use, although I would not recommend them as a ball replacement in contact sports or regular dropping onto concrete (why would you do that? )

In short, they can handle life, but probably not abuse... Does that help?

I was going by some of the Amazon reviews, granted from past experience they often need to be taken with a pinch of salt so it's great to hear that it's more robust than that, here's to a long life enjoying my ABID!

How do you get a good grip without the side mounted handle skinning your knuckles?

And how's the grinder going?

I have to say that this grinder surprised me. It has very good ergonomics, you only use your thumb and index finger to grip the knob. It grinds at least 3 times faster than my porlex and loading/unloading is very easy. I paid the same price as a porlex mini when I backed the kickstarter project and this grinder gives you so much more in terms of ergonomics, speed, grind quality and looks.

Having said all this, my Madebyknock grinder still grinds faster and smoother than the Handground but it costs three times as much!

Edited by Brian Fantana