Coffee machine

Will definitely try this. I know a guy that roasts his own beans, will get some green beans from him to test.

Mate of mine roasted in his oven with reasonable success as well

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy to send some green beans for you to try... 

PM me... 

Roasted a bunch in a popcorn popper, modded to allow the fan to remain on but the element turned off etc... 

I also have a 2nd popcorn popper if you keen, its the one all the sites recommend

(Westbend, the poppery) 

Here's something different. 

Will Bean-Free Coffee Be the New Meat-Free Burger?

Two weeks ago, the United Nations shared yet another alarming report about climate change. This time, it focused on the threat to our food supply due to the overuse of land and water resources plus the loss of arable land due to climate change.

Coffee is a notable offender as the crop requires a lot of water to grow. But at least one company thinks that there’s a future for coffee that’s not grown in soil, but formulated in a lab. The Observer reports that Horizon Ventures, an early investor in Impossible Foods, has put $2.6 million into Atomo, a Seattle-based company working to develop what it calls “molecular coffee.”

Unlike lab-grown meat, where animal cells are coaxed into creating cuts of beef, the science behind molecular coffee isn’t quite as clear (and according to Atomo, a lot of their work is still proprietary). But the general idea is that Atomo will create a cup of coffee from the bottom up, using the building blocks that comprise it, including quinic acid, dimethyl disulfide, niacin, 2-ethylphenol, and a handful of other elements.

Atomo execs promise they’re not out to destroy the coffee industry, but to offer a sustainable alternative. If all goes according to plan, the first bag of Atomo coffee grounds should be available next year.

https://atomocoffee.com/

Hey there!

I would like to ask for your opinions. I can't decide between ranciliosilvia and gaggia classic. I also googled it, I found a comparison on this website with pros and cons but I would like to hear, if there is someone who owned both of them, which one is better? Thank you

Hey there!

I would like to ask for your opinions. I can't decide between ranciliosilvia and gaggia classic. I also googled it, I found a comparison on this website with pros and cons but I would like to hear, if there is someone who owned both of them, which one is better? Thank you

Silvia. Every time.

Haven’t owned both but have owned many machines. I have used both though.

The Silvia is easily better in every way. The other option is an Oscar. The Silvia compares well with an Oscar.

Does anyone know who can service a Mythos X1 OT coffee machine besides Nexus in Pretoria? I'm in the Fairland / NorthCliff area so ideally want to find a service place that's not 60 km away. Nexus has been great so if I can find a gap I'll make the trip or get it couriered there and back.

Looks like I've got a pressure (valve) issue :(

Thanks!

Selling my Graef ES85 espresso coffee machine, thought Id hear if anyone here is interested before doing the classifieds. Had it for about 6 months, pulls a great shot. Contact me for more pics. Asking R6k

HI everyone, has anyone had any experience of this grinder:

Sigma On Demand Temperature and Humidity Commercial Coffee Grinder.

(http://www.sigmagrinder.com/?module=Html&action=SiteCompCh&sSubNo=6)

It is Korean.

A close friend is opening a coffee shop and is considering this (among others). I have never heard of them. The spec seems OK but I have no idea how consistent the grind will be.

Thanks, Ken

HI everyone, has anyone had any experience of this grinder:

Sigma On Demand Temperature and Humidity Commercial Coffee Grinder.

(http://www.sigmagrinder.com/?module=Html&action=SiteCompCh&sSubNo=6)

It is Korean.

A close friend is opening a coffee shop and is considering this (among others). I have never heard of them. The spec seems OK but I have no idea how consistent the grind will be.

Thanks, Ken

My advice, buy the right grinder first... 

These off brand ones can work, and do work dont get me wrong. However a good Mazzer or mahlkonig will last a lifetime and will always have support. 

2nd hand Mazzer super jollys can be had for around R10k! 

*Edit

The other thing, those soft adjusty buttons on the top, they'll be destroyed in no time in a busy cafe. 

Edited by the nerd