Coffee machine

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got home, plugged it in a let it heat up while fiddling with the buttons.

1st shot using the single shot basket was a disaster.

2nd shot was with the double basket and that came out quite nicely.

I am using Bootleggers espresso grind because they are just up the road.

Now for a decent tamper

and then a milk jug

and

and

and...

Get a grinder.... 

Got home, plugged it in a let it heat up while fiddling with the buttons.

1st shot using the single shot basket was a disaster.

2nd shot was with the double basket and that came out quite nicely.

I am using Bootleggers espresso grind because they are just up the road.

Now for a decent tamper

and then a milk jug

and

and

and...

Very very nice, sure you going to be very happy with it. Takes a little getting used to the dosing, tamping etc, but very rewarding when you get it right.

I only used my double basket, most do.

Deluxe Coffee works is another good place for beans. They will also grind for you.

they will also grind for you.

Pre-ground coffee and espresso DO NOT go together in any way shape or form..... it's well stale by definition and definitely by taste.

When you are in Jhb, ping me, and I will demonstrate this happily - you won't even get it home before the taste starts degrading.

Edited by V12man

Aeropress. Very easy to use, google inverted method. Portable and makes great coffee.

Enjoying the aeropress compared to a Seaco machine. Seaco probably needs to be descaled etc.

Just don't wiggle the plunger when doing the inverted method. Learnt the hard way.

collected this just now for a great price

porlex type hand grinder served me well for about 2 years (will probably still use on odd occasion)

post-30349-0-70904100-1574859246_thumb.jpg

collected this just now for a great price

porlex type hand grinder served me well for about 2 years (will probably still use on odd occasion)

The one we have is similar 

Anyone use a Bialetti Mukka Express Cappuccino maker? Looking for opinions from users please.

yes I use one

Pre-ground coffee and espresso DO NOT go together in any way shape or form..... it's well stale by definition and definitely by taste.

When you are in Jhb, ping me, and I will demonstrate this happily - you won't even get it home before the taste starts degrading.

Agree with you completely. Got a grinder, but till "splat" manages to get one it better then ground from PnP or Woolies

Agree with you completely. Got a grinder, but till "splat" manages to get one it better then ground from PnP or Woolies

Beggars can't be choosers.... once coffee is stale it is hit or miss what is better... can't say I bother experimenting with stale coffee - if I have nothing else it will go in the mokka pot for a change of scenery - somehow the mokka pot does not seem to care quite so much as espresso - although a substantively different taste sensation.

Hi Hubbers,

I've been calling me a coffeeholic but at home, I drink normal instant coffee (Jacobs Gold)...

At work and on my cycling rides I do enjoy my coffee, e.g. Seattle, Coffeeworks and Bootleggers. Spend way too much money on coffee but hey life is too short for cheap coffee.

So, I would like to get into the coffee game albeit on a budget. My friend recommended I get a Plunger and beans for Woolies.

I am looking at the following: 

https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/collections/french-press-coffee-plungers/products/bialetti-french-press-coffee-plunger?variant=16716959812#shopify-product-reviews

From my little knowledge, the brand seems to be very good and the way to go.

Should I look at something else, or can I go ahead and my place my order?

Thanks in advanced.

Hi Hubbers,

I've been calling me a coffeeholic but at home, I drink normal instant coffee (Jacobs Gold)...

At work and on my cycling rides I do enjoy my coffee, e.g. Seattle, Coffeeworks and Bootleggers. Spend way too much money on coffee but hey life is too short for cheap coffee.

So, I would like to get into the coffee game albeit on a budget. My friend recommended I get a Plunger and beans for Woolies.

I am looking at the following:

https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/collections/french-press-coffee-plungers/products/bialetti-french-press-coffee-plunger?variant=16716959812#shopify-product-reviews

From my little knowledge, the brand seems to be very good and the way to go.

Should I look at something else, or can I go ahead and my place my order?

Thanks in advanced.

Plunger is a great way to start experiencing real coffee.

An alternative is an Aeropress which is probably a few hundred more than the plunger you have there.

But let's see what the purists say...

Plunger is a great way to start experiencing real coffee.

An alternative is an Aeropress which is probably a few hundred more than the plunger you have there.

But let's see what the purists say...

You beat me to it.

One could also look at Bodum as the 'household' brand of plungers, where Bialetti is famous for their stovetop Moka Pots - another method to investigate

The purists will say that whatever method you choose, get a (burr) grinder for freshly ground beans.

Even if its a manual type.

You will think that shop bought ground coffee is fine, but 

You beat me to it.

One could also look at Bodum as the 'household' brand of plungers, where Bialetti is famous for their stovetop Moka Pots - another method to investigate

The purists will say that whatever method you choose, get a (burr) grinder for freshly ground beans.

Even if its a manual type.

You will think that shop bought ground coffee is fine, but 

I see the Bodum is just a few rands more:

https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/collections/french-press-coffee-plungers/products/bodum-chambord-coffee-maker?variant=44498065860#shopify-product-reviews

I am no expert but the Bialetti just looks way more robust.

Let me first try the beans from the shop, still a learning curve for me. That is the next step I will take later on.