Coffee machine

Hi Hubbers,

I've been calling me a coffeeholic but at home, I drink normal instant coffee (Jacobs Gold)...

At work and on my cycling rides I do enjoy my coffee, e.g. Seattle, Coffeeworks and Bootleggers. Spend way too much money on coffee but hey life is too short for cheap coffee.

So, I would like to get into the coffee game albeit on a budget. My friend recommended I get a Plunger and beans for Woolies.

I am looking at the following: 

https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/collections/french-press-coffee-plungers/products/bialetti-french-press-coffee-plunger?variant=16716959812#shopify-product-reviews

From my little knowledge, the brand seems to be very good and the way to go.

Should I look at something else, or can I go ahead and my place my order?

Thanks in advanced.

Put the Jacobs down and step away from the counter...

I am fairly new to coffee and am feeling a bit like Alice in Wonderland - lots of rabbit holes to go down.

There are so many details to study or get totally confused by - so it can be really fun, or a complete information overload.

Lots to read up on - Cape Coffee Beans is good in the way they describe each product and method.

I was in the shop the other day and the guys there are great. Very passionate and helpful.

(They made me feel like Neo in the Matrix facing down a red or a blue pill)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: 

My friend is a fellow coffee enthusiastic and after chatting to him again I would also like to get serious about my coffee but of course on a budget for now.

Yeah, I heard so, that's why I went on the recommendation of my friend so that I can at least start somewhere.

That's good to hear, will be my first time purchasing from them but their service and feedback seem fantastic!
Edited by Andrew_Smith

Ordered placed!

Went for Bodum after I had a nice chat with Nicholas and he recommends going for the Bodum due to the lack of limited spares of the Bialetti, as well as more sales on the Bodum units compared to Bialetti.

Shoo see lots of coffee related purchases. Nice!

@splat ditch the single basket. Better use as a paper weight and enjoy your new machine.

nopj0vc.png

Nooooo, only a R100 more and you could have got an Aeropress :(

An Aeropress smokes a French press by a country mile and they don't shatter when dropped and dropped they will be...

Just as a little bit of useless

information Checkers single origin coffees and various house brands is in fact made for them by Importers coffee

I'm not sure about that, I've tried both and the Importer branded stuff is garbage and the Checkers single origin is one of the best supermarket coffee I've tasted. Edited by Skylark

Aeropress. Much better and easier to use. Promise.

Hi Hubbers,

I've been calling me a coffeeholic but at home, I drink normal instant coffee (Jacobs Gold)...

At work and on my cycling rides I do enjoy my coffee, e.g. Seattle, Coffeeworks and Bootleggers. Spend way too much money on coffee but hey life is too short for cheap coffee.

So, I would like to get into the coffee game albeit on a budget. My friend recommended I get a Plunger and beans for Woolies.

I am looking at the following:

https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/collections/french-press-coffee-plungers/products/bialetti-french-press-coffee-plunger?variant=16716959812#shopify-product-reviews

From my little knowledge, the brand seems to be very good and the way to go.

Should I look at something else, or can I go ahead and my place my order?

Thanks in advanced.

Next time guys, when I rank up in the coffee game!

I am still new to this and think the French Press would be a great place to start.

The Aeropress is great for people who like experimenting with different brewing recipes, who enjoy making a single cup at a time, and who want to take their coffee brewer anywhere they go.

The French Press is best for people who love rich, bold cups of coffee, who make more than one cup at a time, and who have the “set it and forget it” mentality to making coffee.  

I'm not sure about that, I've tried both and the Importer branded stuff is garbage and the Checkers single origin is one of the best supermarket coffee I've tasted.

Heard it from the horses mouth. I'm not an Importers fan either, though agree that Checkers single origin does win my vote every time when it comes to supermarket coffee.

The Aeropress is great for people who like experimenting with different brewing recipes, who enjoy making a single cup at a time, and who want to take their coffee brewer anywhere they go.

The French Press is best for people who love rich, bold cups of coffee, who make more than one cup at a time, and who have the “set it and forget it” mentality to making coffee.  

Only part truth. Aeropress just makes your coffee taste so much better. It's my go to when I don't have my espresso machine, and goes on contract with me always. 

Get a grinder.... 

I caved under the pressure from you guys 

My wife thinks I am a lunatic and gone off on a complete tangent on my new obsession.

And then the Nespresso machine stopped working...

She is a bit more accepting now  :clap:

So, down the rabbit hole I go...

post-615-0-41158900-1575372505_thumb.jpg

My personal favorite is the Duo Temp it is a decent beginner machine. It comes with a pressurized portafilter, which means you can use preground coffee. Or, if you buy an espresso grinder someday, then you could use the non pressurized basket and make even more "authentic" espresso. 

I caved under the pressure from you guys 

My wife thinks I am a lunatic and gone off on a complete tangent on my new obsession.

And then the Nespresso machine stopped working...

She is a bit more accepting now  :clap:

So, down the rabbit hole I go...

Next step is to put a PID temp controller into that machine - will make a huge improvement in temperature consistency and usability - only way I could get reasonable consistency out of my smaller machines was to put PID's in them.

Next step is to put a PID temp controller into that machine - will make a huge improvement in temperature consistency and usability - only way I could get reasonable consistency out of my smaller machines was to put PID's in them.

Yes - the with pre-infusion looks attractive 

Temperature Surfing is a real ball ache