Coffee machine

I caved under the pressure from you guys 

My wife thinks I am a lunatic and gone off on a complete tangent on my new obsession.

And then the Nespresso machine stopped working...

She is a bit more accepting now  :clap:

So, down the rabbit hole I go...

She will come around soon enough. I went with the apologize later rather than ask for permission approach about 2 years ago. Now a days she is the one getting cranky if i forgot to order the new bag of beans in time and critiques my coffee every morning.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - the with pre-infusion looks attractive 

Temperature Surfing is a real ball ache

That and a shot timer are useful

So I'm gonna go for a refurbished Jura. Need to make about 8 double shots a day at home. Priority is best possible espresso, with simple ability to froth milk (even manual frothing is fine, better quality milk more of a priority than easy milk) is a separate milk foaming solution better?

Don't want to be able to make all sorts of fancy drinks, just quality espresso with variable amounts of nicrofoamed milk

Any recommendations from the gurus?

Edited by brucem76

So I'm gonna go for a refurbished Jura. Need to make about 8 double shots a day at home. Priority is best possible espresso, with simple ability to froth milk (even manual frothing is fine, better quality milk more of a priority than easy milk) is a separate milk foaming solution better?

Don't want to be able to make all sorts of fancy drinks, just quality espresso with variable amounts of nicrofoamed milk

Any recommendations from the gurus?

I got a refurbished Jura XF50 earlier this year. I was going to go for a new E6(I think? would have to page back) but the guys here said I would be much better off with the "used" XF50 and they were not wrong. I have used it everyday, numerous times per day and it is faultless. I make mostly cappuccinos so use the frother 99% of the time. What model are you looking at? 

I got a refurbished Jura XF50 earlier this year. I was going to go for a new E6(I think? would have to page back) but the guys here said I would be much better off with the "used" XF50 and they were not wrong. I have used it everyday, numerous times per day and it is faultless. I make mostly cappuccinos so use the frother 99% of the time. What model are you looking at?

No specific model yet, open to suggestions

How much counter space are you willing to give up? This was one of the questions I got asked when I was in your situation. and check with the SO if they happy with the amount of space lost.

What does the XF50 have over the F50?

I have no idea. I could never find out. It even got sold to me as a F50 but on the machine it says XF50. I downloaded a manual and they use the same manual. Could possibly be the water tank size?

Awesome. Counter space not too much of an issue

Budget? Do you have a supplier that you are looking at specifically? or once you decided, just search for one?

Budget? Do you have a supplier that you are looking at specifically? or once you decided, just search for one?

Budget 5ish soma F50 looks possible. So the espresso quality is really good?

You should be able to get a F50 or F70 for about R5k to R6k. They are workhorses. Quite a bit pop up on classifieds if you just wait a little.

Budget 5ish soma F50 looks possible. So the espresso quality is really good?

I paid R5750 for mine(It was R5000 excl, so in your budget..........) I am happy with the quality. I am no expert like some of the guys here but it does the trick for me. I use fresh beans from Grind n Gears, Nerd and Flippa(hubbers) so I believe that helps with the quality.

Sorted. Got an F50 that's only pulled 3500 shots in its lifetime. Planning to double that number over the next year in our house :)

Buy yourself some nice cups, find a quality fresh coffee supplier, enjoy it, and wait for upgraditis to set in..... :) :) :)

Yes - it's friday....

Buy yourself some nice cups, find a quality fresh coffee supplier, enjoy it, and wait for upgraditis to set in..... :) :) :)

Yes - it's friday....

In this thread there are acmes for sale!