Coffee machine

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your current setup looking like these days anyway?

LM Strada EP 1 group and an Isomac Mondiale, a Mazzer mini E and a Kony Electronic, as well as a Siemens super auto at home and a 2 group LM Linea with a Kony at my office.

Does anyone have any experience with a Wacaco minipresso machine ?

I am looking for something to take with on back country hikes to make a good coffee in the mornings. I plan to use ground coffee not Nespresso pods.

Before you all shout Aeropress, I’ve been there and not a fan.

I am looking for something to take with on back country hikes to make a good coffee in the mornings. I plan to use ground coffee not Nespresso pods.

Mine is relatively new, so I havent used it a lot yet. My first couple of shots were really weak,but once I found something close to the correct diameter to tamp, it was better. I don't hike at all, but the last few times I did sleep in a tent at 24 hour events, my baby Bialetti on top of a foldable Cadac gas cooker was better. Bearing in mind you still have to boil the water for a Wacaco, unless your hikes are short enough to keep your boiling water hot enough in a flask for a decent coffee, it might be less to carry along, or about the same.

Ok so I picked up the nanopress. Initial thoughts are promising. It makes a half decent single espresso.

Given that I can’t use my breville grinder in the field, I have bought a Rhino compact grinder. There is a sweet deal here that comes with an aeropress bundled in. So that’s nice.

Will provide a full report when everything is here and my hands stop shaking from all the coffee.

I might also get the bialetti. Hee hee hee.

Edited by Wayne Potgieter

Joh! But this thing makes strong coffee. I’m going to have to play around to get it right!

fcdadd33c65c395d1786bd7a143fde5a.jpg

Looks like you got the four cup version there. There's lots of leeway to play with the grind, initial water temperature, stove heat, etc.

I've had good results with close to espresso grind, just boiled water in the pot, and a low heat.

I also made the mistake, once,  of throwing the whole contents of a four cup Bialetti into a cup and drinking it. I could hear colours...........

I also made the mistake, once, of throwing the whole contents of a four cup Bialetti into a cup and drinking it. I could hear colours...........

Ummm.....

[emoji2357]

This is exactly what I have done.

Edited by Wayne Potgieter

Bialetti pot - super forgiving with preground coffee - find an aluminium one for camping - should be pretty cheap

Looks like you got the four cup version there. There's lots of leeway to play with the grind, initial water temperature, stove heat, etc.

I've had good results with close to espresso grind, just boiled water in the pot, and a low heat.

I also made the mistake, once,  of throwing the whole contents of a four cup Bialetti into a cup and drinking it. I could hear colours...........

That's 4 single espresso shots... got to work on your tolerance levels.... :ph34r: :ph34r: :clap: :clap:

That's 4 single espresso shots... got to work on your tolerance levels.... :ph34r: :ph34r: :clap: :clap:

It was a while ago. Now when I pour a whole Bialetti into a cup, its no mistake........................

I also made the mistake, once, of throwing the whole contents of a four cup Bialetti into a cup and drinking it. I could hear colours...........

With the Bialetti's if it's a 4 cup for instance you have to make the full 4 cups because if you don't pack the coffee grinds holder full they don't extract properly?