Coffee machine

No need to panic guys, disaster averted!

The offending broken handle.

A quick new shaped handle from a bit of scrap timber (Smells like Iroko), used some epoxy to set the handle before pinning the handle, pot body and lid back together with a piece of brass welding rod.

Maybe some rod through the cross grain to strengthen it too? nice job btw.

edit - I always think those handles are kind of dumb because I inevitable bump knuckles against the hot pot or lose some hair on my fingers from the flame... perhaps a variant 2 at 45 degrees?

Edited by V12man

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried it last week - works fine to froth indeed - but does change the mouth feel a bit - Might just be a change of taste I am noticing.

As an aside from this - I have had good success with Spar brand UHT long life milk if you want to get some stocks in - square container with a green top.

I am about to start with an experiment on what freezing woolies fresh milk will have - bottle defrosting now.... bottle only expires on 4/4 and has been frozen 2 days - will be interesting to see - never tried this one before - all I noticed so far is that the plastic was significantly expanded when I took it out the freezer - if it works then I will use a little first out the bottle rather than risk a massive leak in the freezer.

Yes. I quite like.

On the WW fresh Ayrshire milk, if looked after, as in maintaining cold chain (in and out of fridge) it will be good for up to a week after the best before date.

Maybe some rod through the cross grain to strengthen it too? nice job btw.

edit - I always think those handles are kind of dumb because I inevitable bump knuckles against the hot pot or lose some hair on my fingers from the flame... perhaps a variant 2 at 45 degrees?

Will see how this rolls... took less than half and hour to slap together as I need to get started on real work.

Funny thing is that the handle already a little further from the pot than the origional.

Do you mean like this?

post-5403-0-78306100-1585302889_thumb.jpg

Will see how this rolls... took less than half and hour to slap together as I need to get started on real work.

Funny thing is that the handle already a little further from the pot than the origional.

Do you mean like this?

Yes - exactly

Do you mean like this?

I had the same thing. I welded a bit of 6mm stainless steel round bar to a bit of flat stainless steel, then put a meranti handle on it. It has been that way for 3 years now. Will get a pic now and post.

Walked into WW and saw this! Very nice Indeed 6dfd0edcf32e559556b62d474b736c58.jpg

Do yourself a favour and find the nearest small dairy farm. We get from family, but unprocessed milk straight from the cow just cooled down. In the morning when you go to the fridge there is a layer about 30% at the top of the bottle which is cream. Coffee is amazing with it. 

My CT roaster didn't come through - he's got his own green bean problems with shipping and packing so had to make a last minute dash to Woollies.  Bootlegger laid off plenty people I understand. Tough times.

I'm really glad I had this baby serviced and fetched it in time for lockdown. The coffee nook is lekker again.

37bf67222b5998042f8065b73b834bb9.jpg

Not being able to buy decent coffee on the road has me appreciating my morning chino more than ever. I take my aeropress with me on the road, and when tiredness is really bad I'll stop for a road coffee.

Only problem is that I only have two bags of beans left. Should have bought that kg from my local roaster, will have to settle for whatever looks the freshest at my local spar on our next weekly shop. At least the bialetti doesn't mind older beans that much.

Yes - exactly

The timber thickness is too thin to get a rod or the likes into it unfortunately.

On the positive side, it does feel nice and sturdy!

No need to panic guys, disaster averted!

The offending broken handle.

A quick new shaped handle from a bit of scrap timber (Smells like Iroko), used some epoxy to set the handle before pinning the handle, pot body and lid back together with a piece of brass welding rod.

Looks better, nice work

The timber thickness is too thin to get a rod or the likes into it unfortunately.

On the positive side, it does feel nice and sturdy!

A cross grained spline will work as well if you're paranoid.

Hello Connoisseurs! I am running out of beans - where can I get/order 1kg of good medium roast at a fair price? First thought is to get a packet from WW, but I would rather support an SME. Thanks.

I had the same thing. I welded a bit of 6mm stainless steel round bar to a bit of flat stainless steel, then put a meranti handle on it. It has been that way for 3 years now. Will get a pic now and post.

Do yourself a favour and find the nearest small dairy farm. We get from family, but unprocessed milk straight from the cow just cooled down. In the morning when you go to the fridge there is a layer about 30% at the top of the bottle which is cream. Coffee is amazing with it.

There is a high risk of brucellose for milk that is not pasteurized and it might be agains the law to sell it to the public.

But yes it is so much better.

Hello Connoisseurs! I am running out of beans - where can I get/order 1kg of good medium roast at a fair price? First thought is to get a packet from WW, but I would rather support an SME. Thanks.

Not sure you'll get much better than WW/Bean There (PnP)/Foreign Ground (Checkers) mid-lockdown..... I normally use Motherland Signature (not the neighborhood blend) for aeropress, but have a bag of Tikki Tonga (Melrose Arch) No12 to open for when the Motherland is done.

I only have 250g left, which at my current rate of consumption will last until next weekend.

I usually buy 2x 250g jars from my local roaster, but he has closed as it’s a restaurant that he roasts from.

I’m reluctant to buy Woolies, Checkers or similar as they are usually very old. I heard Coffee Unplugged we’re delivering fresh “sanitised” stock - might give them a call next week and get them to deliver to my work address.