Coffee machine

I bet no one has one like this ;)

It's a Bialetti Mini Express 1 tazza for camping.

Got the 2. In my experience It's not as good as a normal Moka looks cool for photos though

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the 2. In my experience It's not as good as a normal Moka looks cool for photos though

I've had mine for almost 30 years and I've never used it so I can't say. Maybe I should try it.  :ph34r:

this is my one but for the life of me i can't find it nor the picture i posted on this thread

Bialetti-Mini-Express-e1537818701370-350

I have the same one. I've also found that it looks way better than it works! For espresso I find the brikka pot is best, otherwise my go to for an americano is my 6 cup stainless steel moka.

Coffee pot handle V2.0

So the previous handle failed......but it was a given that it would not last if "someone" (read wife) would use the handle to unscrew the pot from the base!

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/115676-coffee-machine/?p=3633649

Been using a vice grip to "handle" the pot in the interim ... which worked, but was far from an ideal solution.

Ended up taking a grinder to a old 4mm saw blade, cut and roughly shaped to size. Used this in conjunction with a branch from a tree that I cut down in the garden and shaped to with my pocket knife and gave a light sand to. This timber when still fresh looked rather good, but as it dried it looked really terrible ..... so once pinned to the handle with brass rod I burnt the timber, gave it a light sand, and then another round over the candle ... I used a candle as it is raining like nobody's business, I do not have a blow torch, and have become impatient with this project. Timber was just sealed with teak oil.

I also drilled a secondary hole to the handle/pot to secure the new handle without using an epoxy to set it.

All in it is a rough and ready project, but is at least functional.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-28 at 2.12.53 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-28 at 2.12.53 PM (2).jpeg

Looks like you're handy with a blade Bud. That might explain the three year gap on your CV...

That's super cool!

this is my one but for the life of me i can't find it nor the picture i posted on this thread

Bialetti-Mini-Express-e1537818701370-350

looks like the eternal fountain of happiness 

watch yourself ... snitches get stitches :ph34r:

Understood clearly. Now how do we get this message across to all the snitching, holier than though types on social media? Asking for a friend...

Understood clearly. Now how do we get this message across to all the snitching, holier than though types on social media? Asking for a friend...

They will hang themselves eventually ..............

Good day! Question for all the knowledgeable coffee connosieurs. I am looking at moving up a level from my trusted bialetti. Thinking of an espresso machine in the 10k to 15k price bracket. I already have a Krupps grinder, so it doesn't have to be a bean to cup model. Should have a milk steamer though. Any recommendations, what to look for, what to avoid. Thanks.

Good day! Question for all the knowledgeable coffee connosieurs. I am looking at moving up a level from my trusted bialetti. Thinking of an espresso machine in the 10k to 15k price bracket. I already have a Krupps grinder, so it doesn't have to be a bean to cup model. Should have a milk steamer though. Any recommendations, what to look for, what to avoid. Thanks.

https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/collections/rancilio/products/rancilio-home-espresso-bundle?variant=664493850628

This is one of many options @ R16 200:

(It's what I have, so my opinion is biased)Rancilio-Set-Rocky-No-Doser-1024x1024_c8

Edited by splat

Would this be the "minimum recommended espresso starter kit"? I'm on Aeropress, Chemex and Porlex Mini hand grinder at the moment - wondering what progression to espresso is going to do to my pocket...

No, that's not the minimum, but it's a lot more than just the foot in the door if you consider the big steps in price from there up.

If you were looking least possible spend, you would be looking at Mellerware, De Longhi or Breville:

https://www.home.co.za/plp/kitchen/coffee-tea/coffee-machines/manual-machines/_/N-1tukvu8

The Porlex is nice - better than a cheap electric grinder.

Would this be the "minimum recommended espresso starter kit"? I'm on Aeropress, Chemex and Porlex Mini hand grinder at the moment - wondering what progression to espresso is going to do to my pocket...

skip a step or two and get a Rocket and be done with it .....

Rocket-R58-Espresso-Machine-Angle_1024x1