Coffee machine

Have to agree there. Spend once if possible and spend wisely. Think of it like a fridge.. Should last you a long time..

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that's not the minimum, but it's a lot more than just the foot in the door if you consider the big steps in price from there up.

If you were looking least possible spend, you would be looking at Mellerware, De Longhi or Breville:

https://www.home.co.za/plp/kitchen/coffee-tea/coffee-machines/manual-machines/_/N-1tukvu8

The Porlex is nice - better than a cheap electric grinder.

Ok, so if I can get my hands on a Breville Venezia for free that would be worthwhile? in terms of grinding, would the Porlex be OK for espresso? 

I know there is not much love here for bean to cup machines, but honestly you wont notice much difference between a good machine like a Jura and the manual machines. 

For me the convenience beats the process so Im happy with all of the automation.

+1, Ive been considering a manual machine for a while, but the Mrs. would never make coffee with it. I went with a Jura many years ago, solid machine.

(I still lust after an Oscar or Silvia)

+1, Ive been considering a manual machine for a while, but the Mrs. would never make coffee with it. I went with a Jura many years ago, solid machine.

(I still lust after an Oscar or Silvia)

Dont get me wrong, I would love one of those too, Im just not going to spend the money on something that would get used less than the bean to cup.

I know there is not much love here for bean to cup machines, but honestly you wont notice much difference between a good machine like a Jura and the manual machines. 

For me the convenience beats the process so Im happy with all of the automation.

As much as I love the ritual of making a coffee, I do sometimes wish for the ease of bean to cup machine.

Ok, so if I can get my hands on a Breville Venezia for free that would be worthwhile? in terms of grinding, would the Porlex be OK for espresso? 

That will make for a very nice set-up.

Depending on your taste or level of coffee geek, it might last you a while or you might outgrow it and start going down the rabbit hole (like we do with our bikes, accessories and kit)

Good day! Question for all the knowledgeable coffee connosieurs. I am looking at moving up a level from my trusted bialetti. Thinking of an espresso machine in the 10k to 15k price bracket. I already have a Krupps grinder, so it doesn't have to be a bean to cup model. Should have a milk steamer though. Any recommendations, what to look for, what to avoid. Thanks.

Unless you're entertaining people and making more than two espressos at a a time I'd highly recommend a Breville Barista Express : https://www.home.co.za/pdp/breville-barista-express/_/A-334002AAAA1

It heats up almost instantly so is ready to go when you feel like a cuppa.

Doesn't have the rinsing process before and after using it like some automatic machines.

Its compact, including a grinder so every cup is fresh.

Is consistent.

I have the older model so have had it for many years without the slightest issue. 

As much as I'd love to have a Rocket type machine (drool) I can't justify the cost of it and the accompanied grinder for my use or the space it will consume in the kitchen.

Edited by Brandon P

@meezo and anyone else with an Oscar.

The frame on mine has rusted through at the bottom. As in vrot.

Mine was second hand and I had to replace the control unit shortly after getting it due to water damage, so I don't know it's history, but I found a couple of mentions of it on oversea forums. My local roaster says it happens on Silvia machines as well.

I'll have a new frame made up our of stainless steel some time and rebuild it, and maybe drill a few holes in the casing at the bottom.

I've asked my wife to remind me that my Italian coffee machine is held together with duct tape whenever I mention Alfa Romeo again.

Edited by PhilipV

That will make for a very nice set-up.

Depending on your taste or level of coffee geek, it might last you a while or you might outgrow it and start going down the rabbit hole (like we do with our bikes, accessories and kit)

Cool thanks. I'll give it a go.

Fully disagree. 

You will never be able to get the same or even similar shots out of a full auto as you would from a top of the line manual espresso machine.

It is just not currently possible! 

A silvia or an oscar would be a great machine, you will not outgrow them very quickly. 

I am more of a Silvia person, but the oscar is its equal! 

Fully disagree. 

You will never be able to get the same or even similar shots out of a full auto as you would from a top of the line manual espresso machine.

It is just not currently possible! 

Do you mind to explain a bit more. Thanks.

Sorry if it's a completely dumb question, or if it has been covered on this thread before.

Do you mind to explain a bit more. Thanks.

Sorry if it's a completely dumb question, or if it has been covered on this thread before.

Coffee is way too much of a variable to be managed by a set profile on a super auto, they do an excellent job of making a consistently average cup of coffee. 

With a full manual machine and grinder the variables are always within your control. As the ambient temp changes so should your grind etc, shots are timed and extraction observed, shot too fast - sour shot too slow - over extracted and bitter. 

Even without going completely OCD with weighing every shot and timings etc you will get consistently great shots just by understanding the basic principles of coffee.