Coffee machine

Got myself the Silvia with PID, and after a few weeks of trying my Krupps grinder also the Rocky grinder. 

Few observations after a steep learning curve. (Remember I was a complete virgin)

The single most difficult aspect to get consistently right is the even distribution of the grounds before tamping. After trying all the methods explained on the www and youtube, I now have a system which works OK, most of the time. I found a little plastic container that fits snugly over the basket. I grind and weigh into this container, put the basket over it, flip it around, quick few shakes to loosen the clumps, few horizontal shakes to level it out, basket into the portafilter handle, and then I distribute it even more evenly with a wooden distributor and palm tamper I made myself on the wooden lathe. I then tamp with the palm tamper which has a collar so that it tamps to the same depth each time. Quick polish with the metal tamp and then I draw the shot. 

Questions:

1. Is this worth the money? 

https://onlinecoffeeshop.co.za/shop/barista-tools/coffee-tampers/palm-tamper-and-coffee-distributor-black-adjustable-58mm-base/

2. Does precision screens and baskets make a huge difference? Seeing that they are quite expensive.

Next on the shopping list is a dedicated scale. Kitchen scales are just to variable and inaccurate. 

https://onlinecoffeeshop.co.za/shop/barista-tools/coffee-dosing-funnel/coffee-dosing-ring/?utm_source=Google%20Shopping&utm_campaign=ALL%20Products&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=25108&gclid=CjwKCAjw9vn4BRBaEiwAh0muDAEgIWX4L7ITL7_8OKp7o-JxktTIHGn12LfrXo5iv-FBntFi9pX42BoCR2oQAvD_BwE

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you get this indentation?

9546_img_0978.jpg?__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=5c

Perhaps I am over filling.

I am grinding 16g into the std Rancilio 14g basket...

Howzit i am looking for coffee cleaning tablets for my Breville machine and an idea where i can get the filters - BES 880 - seems like they are unique an unobtainable.

Who supports or imports Breville?

Howzit i am looking for coffee cleaning tablets for my Breville machine and an idea where i can get the filters - BES 880 - seems like they are unique an unobtainable.

Last time I bought it was from @home. Not sure if they still stock it.

You could try Amazon or Ubuy, is the filter's part number BES008WHT0NUC1?

The cleaning tablets are mostly universal across brands, same thing for the descaling liquid.

Filters I wouldnt bother with, its a lot cheaper to get a filter that attaches to a tap, you at least get to use that for other uses too.

Haven't used the cleaning tablets through my Breville since I ran out of the first lot maybe 8yrs ago. Just too expensive to make sense.

I dilute white vinegar and run that through the machine (using rubber jobby) and steamer whenever the 'clean me' light pops on, which is roughly every two months.

Filters, I do use and replace every time. Always got them from @home who I believe are the SA importers of Breville. (https://www.home.co.za/pdp/breville-bean-to-cup-filter-set-6/_/A-334002AB2)

Machine still works like new, cup after cup. No other maintenance has been required other than the occasional brushing of the grinder. 

Edited by Brandon P

Just a heads up to Jura owners.

Don’t buy the cheap milk straws off the internet.I bought 10 for the price of 1 original.It’s stained and smells after only 1 week of use.

The black connection to the machine also leaks and sprays milk all over the place.

Goedkoop koop is duur koop [emoji2]

Going down this rabbit hole now... how important/useful are some of the accessories?

Distributor?

Tamping stand?

Scale?

Will I eventually end up buying these? Or are they just nice to haves?

Scale - definitely

Distribution tool - nice to have, tooth pick with a nice funnel works

Tamping stand - depends on your counter surface, the mats do a pretty good job.

Aeropress takes 2 minutes and I am finished. Whole lot better than our saeco bean to cup machine.

What Aeropress are you using if I may ask?

What Aeropress are you using if I may ask?

On the topic of Aeropress. I received one recently as a gift an I quite like the idea of the simplicity of it. However, there are an abundance of methods to be found online. Does anyone have a tried and tested method they are willing to share?

On the topic of Aeropress. I received one recently as a gift an I quite like the idea of the simplicity of it. However, there are an abundance of methods to be found online. Does anyone have a tried and tested method they are willing to share?

I use the inverted method:

1 scoop freshly ground coffee, just off boiling water (I'd guess 90c) up to just about full.

Use their supplied 'spoon' to stir for 15 seconds, then poor some more hot water over the spoon into the AP (this just helps with cleaning up) till it's full.

Leave for 90 seconds.

Put cap and SS filter on.

Invert onto a cup, push down slowly (I use the pressure of my arm) takes about 20 seconds.

Stop just before it's almost down - don't compress the puck.

I split this between 2 cups for Americanos for SO and I.