Coffee machine

I use the inverted method:

1 scoop freshly ground coffee, just off boiling water (I'd guess 90c) up to just about full.

Use their supplied 'spoon' to stir for 15 seconds, then poor some more hot water over the spoon into the AP (this just helps with cleaning up) till it's full.

Leave for 90 seconds.

Put cap and SS filter on.

Invert onto a cup, push down slowly (I use the pressure of my arm) takes about 20 seconds.

Stop just before it's almost down - don't compress the puck.

I split this between 2 cups for Americanos for SO and I.

1 scoop is a double shot so I use 2 scoops if making two cups.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the topic of Aeropress. I received one recently as a gift an I quite like the idea of the simplicity of it. However, there are an abundance of methods to be found online. Does anyone have a tried and tested method they are willing to share?

I have a porlex mini, set it to as course as I can so that it's still pretty uniform. Fill the beans holder to the top (about 20g). Grind. Aeropress inverted, rinsed paper filter. Put grinds into aeropress. Pour about 40g boiled water into cup - this preheats the cup and cools the water slightly, swirl til the cup warms. Pour the 'cooled' water into the grinds and swirl /stir for about 15 seconds. Fill aeropress with boiled water, put in cap+filter, put on cup and press - full press should be around 30 seconds. Top up cup with boiled water if you want.

Rancilio question. 

I just can't seem to get a good strong crema from my shots.

- I'm using the Rocky grinder

- Grinder is set to around number 3 or 4 for fine grind

- Beans? Dark roast from Woolies

- Machine is descaled with fresh shower screen and seals

- Double basket used.

What colour should I get from the crema? Darker brown? Mine is more of a straw colour. 

I sometimes get a sour draw but since I changed the settings on the grinder it got better. 

The flow from the portafilter isn't thick or thin. More of a medium but the viscosity seems a little thin. 

It's driving me insane that I can't get a full body cup of coffee from this (what I regard as expensive) machine. 

crema colour varies, as does the consistency based on so many variables.

Coffee age is definitely a factor, retailer coffee is never going to be the freshest, but I cannot recall what you described when I used WW coffee before.

What is your shot time? perhaps o finer on the grind?

crema colour varies, as does the consistency based on so many variables.

Coffee age is definitely a factor, retailer coffee is never going to be the freshest, but I cannot recall what you described when I used WW coffee before.

What is your shot time? perhaps o finer on the grind?

A finer grind will take me to 0 on the grinder :lol:

I need to time the shot. I'm not sure. 

Rancilio question. 

- Double basket used.

What colour should I get from the crema? Darker brown? Mine is more of a straw colour. 

I sometimes get a sour draw but since I changed the settings on the grinder it got better. 

The flow from the portafilter isn't thick or thin. More of a medium but the viscosity seems a little thin. 

It's driving me insane that I can't get a full body cup of coffee from this (what I regard as expensive) machine. 

How fresh are those beans? Optimum is between 4 and 14 days. Month old and older beans, don't expect a decent crema. 

A finer grind will take me to 0 on the grinder :lol:

I need to time the shot. I'm not sure. 

time it and aim for between 25 - 30 seconds ( I assume you're pulling a double)

Watch the colour closely as well, after the tiger stripes you need to cut off the shot before you get any serious blonding

stop pressing as soon as the pressure is released.

I did not know this! Also - thank you for all the other Aeropress replies. Another question - When making a single espresso, how far do you pull the plunger back? Just up to the (1) mark or further?

Rancilio question. 

- Double basket used.

I have the same machine, and get plenty of crema. But, it's probably less relevant than you think. This is a great video explaining what crema actually is:  

Fresh beans make the biggest difference, and you probably want to brew a little hotter in the Sylvia than you think.

Rancilio question. 

- Double basket used.

First thing I'd look at is the beans. I'm not a fan of the woolies beans to start with, they aren't very full bodied or flavorful in my opinion, though they seem the go to for a very large percentage of bean to cup users.

I find a dark crema to be quite bitter, prefer a nice caramel colour. This will depend on the beans you use though.

Try get some fresh beans from the likes of Deluxe Coffeeworks or chat to Nerd for a couple bags.

If store bought is all you can get, try out Checkers single origin Guatemala or Colombian for a change in flavours.

Will give it a shot. Will chat to the Nerd and get some fresh beans. 

Then work through the process step by step with a scale, timers, exorcist etc.

wham bam .. I see what you did there!

I did not know this! Also - thank you for all the other Aeropress replies. Another question - When making a single espresso, how far do you pull the plunger back? Just up to the (1) mark or further?

I normally do it till 3 cause I want a bit more. Level 1 will give you hardly any water as the grounds take up space.

Inverted method I fill it right up for tw cups or half for one cup. In the end you'll see what suites you. A true espresso is so small, one sip and its done.

Forgot to mention that I mostly get a very wet puck once the shot is drawn. Hope that helps.

Are you dosing the optimum amount for your basket size? Sounds like you're under filling it as well