Coffee machine

Will give it a shot. Will chat to the Nerd and get some fresh beans. 

Then work through the process step by step with a scale, timers, exorcist etc.

Come see me, I can get some decent scales etc and taste some coffee! 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tasted your coffee  :thumbup:

Please could you recommend a scale ?

I have one of these and am not impressed (but also don't want to spend between R2 and R6k)

Coffee-Scale-Top-1024x1024_grande.jpg?v=

I have one of these and am not impressed (but also don't want to spend between R2 and R6k)

I have one of these below sans name... available locally for less than R1k and its been great! 

61O8S4bxwDL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Damn. Just checked the price of the Acaia!

Lucky I got mine when they just launched for considerably cheaper.

A buddy has the Brewista (hope I got the name right) and has been quite impressed.

Thanks man. 

Might be heading to Sprocket & Jack later. Will pop in. 

I have a selection of scales already. Handy little things.

What is the problem(s) with this scale?

What is the problem(s) with this scale?

I find it very inconsistent - I need to put the empty portafilter on it several times (in exactly the same spot) to get the readings the same. So when I put back on with ground, I am never sure I am getting a reliable weight.

The point of getting a scale was to help with consistency

I find it very inconsistent - I need to put the empty portafilter on it several times (in exactly the same spot) to get the readings the same. So when I put back on with ground, I am never sure I am getting a reliable weight.

The point of getting a scale was to help with consistency

Tried a host of Kitchen scales and also had very inconsistent results, also needed something that fits onto the Coffee machine tray.

Happy with my Felicita (Acaia knock off) very accurate and fits well.

Does anybody have experience with a Breville cafe Venezia? I can get one at a very good price, anything I have to look out for?

Does anybody have experience with a Breville cafe Venezia? I can get one at a very good price, anything I have to look out for?

I’ve had 2. Used with a decent grinder you can get pretty good results. But it’s a double layer basket which is fundamentally limited - they tend to last us 18 months and then the seals blow if you’re pushing to get decent espresso out

I ordered one of these before I saw your post. I put it through its paces this weekend. I see what you mean regarding consistency, but for my intended use I find it consistent enough. While weighing grounds for espresso it was consistent about 80% of the time. When it varied it was never more than 0,2 grams up or down. Whether I get 16.8 g or 17.2 g when aiming for 17 g is not bothering me. For the price of the scale that is pretty consistent in my books.  I haven't got intentions of entering barista competitions any time soon. I am sure there are better scales available, but at prices from 1K to several K more. 

I got an old Russel Hobbs Espresso machine from my dad and intend to use it at work. Any tips on getting the most out of it? Should I "temperature surf" it like my Silvia?

I got an old Russel Hobbs Espresso machine from my dad and intend to use it at work. Any tips on getting the most out of it? Should I "temperature surf" it like my Silvia?

practice makes perfect