Coffee machine

spelling!

Deluxe!

tell me more about that portafilter

I stand corrected.

The handles of the portafilter and tamper was a gift from @CJ Van. He turned them himself on a lathe my dad gave him.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, please give me advice on a manual grinder. On CCB, prices range from R1.4k to R4k+. In your experience, where is the price/performance sweet spot? I'm grinding for Aeropress & bodum.

Thanks, Ken

I've got a Hario Skereton hand grinder for my Aeropress, was around the R700 mark if I recall. Deluxe normally has good prices on their grinders and accessories.

I might get crucified, but Checkers now has there own Skereton knock off, almost identical, ceramic grinder with extra glass bowl for something like R250. Tested one out and results were similar to the Hario unit. At that price you have nothing to loose.

If you like a fruity espresso then Ethiopian Guji is certainly a good choice. Got some roasted beans from Toro in Potchefstroom yesterday. Certainly one of the most enjoyable espressos of my life! In my opinion its not often that milk will enhance the taste of a good espresso, but with this roast it certainly does. A short cappuccino made with these beans has got very strong hints of blueberry cheesecake. Amazing! Small write-up of Toro in coffee magazine. https://www.coffeemagazine.co.za/blog/1/5901/cafe-focus-toro-coffee

Hi, please give me advice on a manual grinder. On CCB, prices range from R1.4k to R4k+. In your experience, where is the price/performance sweet spot? I'm grinding for Aeropress & bodum.

Thanks, Ken

I have a Porlex mini. If you take the rubber band off it nests inside the aeropress

I can only compare it against my mate's rhino grinder (or something like that.)

The Rhino is bigger and grinds faster, but it can't grind fine enough for my liking.

No waste? The pods are themselves waste! Every cup of coffee has an accompanying plastic container!

There’s a cool local company in CPT called 4WKS Coffee who make compostable pods using blends from Deluxe, Rosetta, Naked and I think Terbadore. Worthwhile if you’re using a Nespresso machine but want to be more eco-friendly (https://4wks.coffee/)

I've got a Hario Skereton hand grinder for my Aeropress, was around the R700 mark if I recall. Deluxe normally has good prices on their grinders and accessories.

I might get crucified, but Checkers now has there own Skereton knock off, almost identical, ceramic grinder with extra glass bowl for something like R250. Tested one out and results were similar to the Hario unit. At that price you have nothing to loose.

I've got a hario, never use it. It takes about 3 hours to grind enough for a single espresso... Is this normal, or am I doing it wrong?

Porlex an option, very good piece of kit, but on the pricier side.

At the price of the Porlex, check out the Timemore. I have the Porlex and am pretty happy with it, but James Hoffman did a video with a bunch and I remember the Timemore coming out ahead (but I think it was one with a different finish)

https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/collections/coffee-grinders/products/timemore-chestnut-c1-manual-coffee-grinder

I have question for the august coffee gurus on this thread:

Which single group should I upgrade to from my Jura?

I have been looking for a while, options looks like:

Rancilio Silvia

Leleit Diana

Lelit Mara (price is getting uncomfortable, I still have to get a grinder, too. I am not sure if I need all the dials and valves it has)

Oscar 2 is out of my budget.

or should I look at a 2nd hand 2 group machine? I think that the boiler may take too long to heat up, plus it is inefficient to have a big machine for 4 cups at breakfast.

What grinder to partner it? I dont need a monster, total cups per day for the household is about 8, now that I work from home.

(thanks for all the contributors, thread is always a nice read)

Edited by Christie

I have question for the august coffee gurus on this thread:

Which single group should I upgrade to from my Jura?

I have been looking for a while, options looks like:

Rancilio Silvia

Leleit Diana

Lelit Mara (price is getting uncomfortable, I still have to get a grinder, too. I am not sure if I need all the dials and valves it has)

Oscar 2 is out of my budget.

or should I look at a 2nd hand 2 group machine? I think that the boiler may take too long to heat up, plus it is inefficient to have a big machine for 4 cups at breakfast.

What grinder to partner it? I dont need a monster, total cups per day for the household is about 8, now that I work from home.

(thanks for all the contributors, thread is always a nice read)

I am by no means an expert on this, but I'm in the same boat - looking to upgrade from my Jura Auto to a manual.

So many things to consider - aesthetics, size, ease of use (for wife) and my list is 5 times as long.

Think I've settled on the Lelit MaraX with Eureka Mignon - think it ticks a lot of boxes

Any recommendations on fresh coffee bean suppliers in Gauteng that deliver?

This:   

Grind n Gears!!!!!!!!! I see Flippa responded already. It's him and his boet/hubber the nerd. 

Get some holy roller. Named after the late tumbles here on the hub(Not sure if you would have known of him as he passed over a year ago).

I am extremely happy with the Lelit MaraX and the Eureka Specialita grinder. Honestly makes coffee better than the majority of restaurants/coffee shops.

I did an introductory barista course just before I got it. Certainly helped and gave me confidence with the machine, I had only been using a moka pot before this.

Both the machine and grinder are nice and compact in my small kitchen. The support from onlinecoffeeshop.co.za has been excellent.

This:   

Tried several times to get info from them. No luck...perhaps they just very busy!

Any alternatives?