Coffee machine

I have question for the august coffee gurus on this thread:

Which single group should I upgrade to from my Jura?

I have been looking for a while, options looks like:

Rancilio Silvia

Leleit Diana

Lelit Mara (price is getting uncomfortable, I still have to get a grinder, too. I am not sure if I need all the dials and valves it has)

Oscar 2 is out of my budget.

or should I look at a 2nd hand 2 group machine? I think that the boiler may take too long to heat up, plus it is inefficient to have a big machine for 4 cups at breakfast.

What grinder to partner it? I dont need a monster, total cups per day for the household is about 8, now that I work from home.

(thanks for all the contributors, thread is always a nice read)

Depends what your budget is

Your choices may also be decided by what's in stock - this Covid thing has affected imports.

A dual head system wouldn't make any big improvements, unless it included a dual boiler.

I have the Racilio Silvia and Rocky combo, which has worked OK for me. 6 cups a day - 2 at a time.

If I could pimp it, I would get a PID installed.

If I could redo with a bigger budget, I would get a heat exchange system, but a dual boiler would be better.

If I could, I would get a grinder with a timer or a scale built in. One that is quieter than the Rocky would be great.

I can't comment on the other options you list.

This set-up looks pretty good:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/115676-coffee-machine/page-394?do=findComment&comment=3700592

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am extremely happy with the Lelit MaraX and the Eureka Specialita grinder. Honestly makes coffee better than the majority of restaurants/coffee shops.

Your coffee setup looks awesome.

I wonder if it is worth it for me to bite the bullet and get the more expensive Mara vs. a Silvia.

I've got a hario, never use it. It takes about 3 hours to grind enough for a single espresso... Is this normal, or am I doing it wrong?

Wait till you do the "latest" double grind.

Your coffee setup looks awesome.

I wonder if it is worth it for me to bite the bullet and get the more expensive Mara vs. a Silvia.

Buy the best you can push your budget for if possible, it keeps the desire for future upgrades away IMO.

Tried several times to get info from them. No luck...perhaps they just very busy!

Any alternatives?

Don’t give up, phone and WhatsApp.

I placed an order on Sunday and got my delivery today. I (therefore) try not wait until I have run dry. 4 days is really not that bad for fresh beans.

Tried several times to get info from them. No luck...perhaps they just very busy!

Any alternatives?

Hi Grey Hubs,

Sorry to hear that you're haven't got through to us. We've been quite busy setting up a shop, but that's no excuse for preventing somebody from experiencing our coffee. I've PM'd you some contact details, so we can get some beans to you.

Buying beans before my stock runs out is a constant struggle. Now I've managed to sync my habit with my (current favourite) local roaster. He roasts on Thursdays, I buy on Friday and it usually goes into the hopper on Monday/Tuesday.

Oooh that reminds me, it's Friday.

I have question for the august coffee gurus on this thread:

Which single group should I upgrade to from my Jura?

I have been looking for a while, options looks like:

Rancilio Silvia

Leleit Diana

Lelit Mara (price is getting uncomfortable, I still have to get a grinder, too. I am not sure if I need all the dials and valves it has)

Oscar 2 is out of my budget.

or should I look at a 2nd hand 2 group machine? I think that the boiler may take too long to heat up, plus it is inefficient to have a big machine for 4 cups at breakfast.

What grinder to partner it? I dont need a monster, total cups per day for the household is about 8, now that I work from home.

(thanks for all the contributors, thread is always a nice read)

I am quite happy with my Silvia (with PID), Rocky combination. Make around 6 to 8 espressos per day. I think the PID makes a huge difference to the capabilities and user friendliness of the Silvia. If you're regularly gonna make more than 2 milk based coffees at a time I would consider a double boiler. For up to 2 at a time the single boiler of the Silvia is more than adequate.

I'm sitting with a PID in the cupboard, waiting for a good deal on a Silvia to install it in. My Gaggia still has the old "pea" valve setup without solenoids, so feel the PID might be wasted on it

Hi Grey Hubs,

Sorry to hear that you're haven't got through to us. We've been quite busy setting up a shop, but that's no excuse for preventing somebody from experiencing our coffee. I've PM'd you some contact details, so we can get some beans to you.

Great thanks. Ordered beans already. Next order i'll place with you.

This morning while grinding my coffee grinder made that horrible arcing noise, spat some blue sparks and let it's black smoke out.

Now I know when the black smoke escapes from appliances they are usually pretty dead.

But a quick look at Facebook marketplace for a lekker grinder tells me I know to see if I can refill the black smoke in it.

It's a Simonelli Grinta, a pretty good grinder, and after working on my Oscar I know it's basic and pretty robust inside, so hopefully some electric acrobatics can save the day here.

Damn. Has it seen heavy use?

Relatively hard, it's about 8-9years old, used to live in a platteland coffee shop, and I use it 2-3 times per day, so it's had a soft pre-retirement. But it isn't in the same class as the Mazzers.

If I can't fix it, I'll look for a second hand commercial unit. It's sad that there are a lot of coffee shop equipment floating around.

Relatively hard, it's about 8-9years old, used to live in a platteland coffee shop, and I use it 2-3 times per day, so it's had a soft pre-retirement. But it isn't in the same class as the Mazzers.

If I can't fix it, I'll look for a second hand commercial unit. It's sad that there are a lot of coffee shop equipment floating around.

Mazzer anything... seriously the most resilient grinders made... my one fell off a counter and its still fine!