Coffee machine

Howsit, I was referring to Royal Coffee Roasters, not you guys. Sorry... My quoting wasn't very clear.

I know your bags always have the roasting date on them

Yeah, I know the owner very well! The bags should all have roast dates on them as well, they have a date block... 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I know the owner very well! The bags should all have roast dates on them as well, they have a date block... 

Nah, not these bags. In fact I don't think any of the 250g bags I've received from them has ever had a date block or space for the date on them. 

post-23819-0-91944900-1601293606_thumb.jpg

Edited by travisza

Nah, not these bags. In fact I don't think any of the 250g bags I've received from them has ever had a date block or space for the date on them. 

I bought from them in-store once before they moved. Exact same sticker. The guy scoops the beans, puts them in the bag, goois the sticker and marks the blocks. I asked him when they were roasted and he told me but if I didn't ask I wouldn't have known.

Maybe you just spoiling us, Wes.

Bringing this one forward in the thread - best advice ever! My aeropress doesn’t rest. You don’t often hear people emphasizing how healthy this way of drinking coffee is either with the paper filters holding back oils/sediment.

What’s also changed for me is that I don’t gravitate to dark roasts/espresso beans anymore, the magic of coffee taste in a machine like this is the light roasts.

Why would lack of sediment and oils be that much healthier?

And why light roasts in particular?

My favourite in my Aeropress is Deluxe Guatemala, which is apparently rather dark and strong relative to other beans.

Hmmm... ok thats odd! I will chat to him when I see him again... 

I bought from them in-store once before they moved. Exact same sticker. The guy scoops the beans, puts them in the bag, goois the sticker and marks the blocks. I asked him when they were roasted and he told me but if I didn't ask I wouldn't have known.

Maybe you just spoiling us, Wes. *I try* 

I think its the most important thing when buying coffee!

Look I know they roast daily and their stock doesnt last long but its still helpful! 

Hmmm... ok thats odd! I will chat to him when I see him again... 

I think its the most important thing when buying coffee!

Look I know they roast daily and their stock doesnt last long but its still helpful! 

100%. Its interesting to me...as an entry level coffee drinker even I know that the roasting date is important.

Royal has a website which has a lot of detail on each beans characteristics, lots of different options in terms of variety, and then don't include something "basic" like the roasting date.

I should probably send them an email rather than complaining online haha

Edited: I have now sent them a message suggesting they add the roasting date

Edited by travisza

I am probably going to get stoned for this but have you tried Nescafe Gold instant cappuccino? No cleaning issues. No large machine in the way and it tastes as good as most machine coffee in my experience.

we'll drink these in a pinch, actually we normally buy a box of them when we go on holiday, but they are in no way as good as a coffee machine.

My Mother in Law got very offended the one day when she offered me some or other coffee in a sachet thing that she thought was the best thing on earth and I told her I'd rather drink water.

But it really was some awful stuff, I had tasted it before.

Speaking of machines

I know Nespresso is not highly regarded here, but a few months back I was buying pods and the wife asked what specials they had. At the time they had some special running where you bought x amount of capsules and got a new machine real cheap. I went for that option.

Then did a test, my old machine vs the new machine, same coffee etc. The new machine makes coffee that bit better than the old one. Strange I know, but I've tried it a few times already.

100%. Its interesting to me...as an entry level coffee drinker even I know that the roasting date is important.

Royal has a website which has a lot of detail on each beans characteristics, lots of different options in terms of variety, and then don't include something "basic" like the roasting date.

I should probably send them an email rather than complaining online haha

Edited: I have now sent them a message suggesting they add the roasting date

I was chatting with him this morning and he says he only roasts in small batches or for a specific order so they should not be that old. 

I was chatting with him this morning and he says he only roasts in small batches or for a specific order so they should not be that old. 

He replied almost immediately to the query I sent through their website and said the same. 

"all of our coffee are not older than 5 days I roast fresh daily to make sure of the freshness

But I agree I will make a plan to add roasting dates to the bags".

Speaking of machines

I know Nespresso is not highly regarded here, but a few months back I was buying pods and the wife asked what specials they had. At the time they had some special running where you bought x amount of capsules and got a new machine real cheap. I went for that option.

Then did a test, my old machine vs the new machine, same coffee etc. The new machine makes coffee that bit better than the old one. Strange I know, but I've tried it a few times already.

Have you tried getting the reusable pods?

I helped a friend source one a few years back, and he was able to enjoy the same beans I used on my bean2cup machine (at the time). 

There are people that can't afford expensive machines and have to make do with what they have. Doesn't make their choice of coffee bad.

Instead of getting the Table Mountain beans I passed by Deluxe and accidentally walked away with another 2kg's of beans.

How long does 2 kg last you?