Coffee machine

I have all the fancy devices at home and it makes a lovely cup of any style of coffee I like.

At the office I have a small Nespresso machine. My only other choice there is the Ricoffee in the kitchen. I guess I could take a chemex or similar to the office but the mess with filters and forgetting to grind beans before work just isn’t worth it.

Sounds like you need this setup at work:

https://capecoffeebeans.co.za/a/bundles/aeropress-travel-bundle-with-porlex-coffee-grinder-seg

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an aeropress around here somewhere.

Used it at a previous company and when the retrenchments happened I might have misplaced it when I packed up my office. 

I have a Krupps grinder on this end that could do duty at the office now. Might as well take the Chemex and a box of filters, bag of beans, etc in and live it up. Maybe look at the small Chemex to do a single big mug at a time.

Life is too short to have bad coffee right? 

Thanks for the advice everyone! 

Does anyone roast their own coffee? Want to start but not sure what works well 

Those in the know say its an art.  I'm not brave enough to try, will just keep searching for roasted beans I like.  Good luck for you though, let us know how it goes.

Those in the know say its an art.  I'm not brave enough to try, will just keep searching for roasted beans I like.  Good luck for you though, let us know how it goes.

Yeah, so I've heard. Issue is accessibility to "fresh" coffee beans. Finding a good roaster nearby who is truthfully willing to disclose actual date of roasting is becoming uncommon. 

I have no idea why I haven't thought about that.

Any recommendations? I've seen the Hario Mini-Slim at Cape Coffee for around R700. Maybe a little small for the Chemex if we go on trips away.

Remember the Chemex doesn't take that much coffee...

I have the mini Porlex and it has served me well with my Chemex.

Those in the know say its an art. I'm not brave enough to try, will just keep searching for roasted beans I like. Good luck for you though, let us know how it goes.

Have green beans in cupboard for ages, definitely need to try and roast them

Yeah, so I've heard. Issue is accessibility to "fresh" coffee beans. Finding a good roaster nearby who is truthfully willing to disclose actual date of roasting is becoming uncommon.

I don't buy beans without a roast date and further more, won't buy anything that's past a month post it's roasted date.

I don't buy beans without a roast date and further more, won't buy anything that's past a month post it's roasted date.

You're definitely missing out. We've been roasting a single origin Uganda for 3 plus years, that doesn't fully develop until around 3 weeks post-roast and maintains its flavour profile well into week 7 or 8.

Does anyone roast their own coffee? Want to start but not sure what works well

With a popcorn maker?

Don't shoot me. I was with a friend when he decided to roast beans

Some feedback after a few months: I am very happy with the Lelit Mara X. It has some clever patent pending tricks which makes it a joy to use: Smart boiler control with multiple temperature sensors and a auto pre-infusion gadget. These can be bypassed, but they work very well.

The little Eureka grinder is great- quiet, low retention and easy dial.

post-154-0-12658300-1612906334_thumb.jpg

Edited by Christie

Every bag I get from The Nerd/Flippa has a roast date on and it is always within the last few weeks. My bag of holly roller(it's a south american mix iicr) I got yesterday said 29 Jan. I have no reason to believe it is not truthful, always smells and tastes fresh.

Have you tried Grind n Gears? They close to you.

You're definitely missing out. We've been roasting a single origin Uganda for 3 plus years, that doesn't fully develop until around 3 weeks post-roast and maintains its flavour profile well into week 7 or 8.

Every bag I get from The Nerd/Flippa has a roast date on and it is always within the last few weeks. My bag of holly roller(it's a south american mix iicr) I got yesterday said 29 Jan. I have no reason to believe it is not truthful, always smells and tastes fresh.

Have you tried Grind n Gears? They close to you.

No, where are they?

With a popcorn maker?

Don't shoot me. I was with a friend when he decided to roast beans

I don't mind starting off with a R350 coffee machine. 

Personally prefer using most coffee that is less than 2 weeks old from roasting (obviously only  used from a day or two after roasting)