Coffee machine

As a trained (in France for 3 years) "flavour/perfume nose", and someone who has done sensory training on coffee, I use an AeroPress. Not sure of the current price in South Africa, but less than R1000, probably around R800. 

The quality of the coffee's organoleptic extraction, and sensory profile I get from it is better than anything I have ever done sensory evaluation on (or training). For the same quality level from a machine, I would need to spend R30k+. 

Save yourself a buckload of cash, and buy an AeroPress. 

You just killed the thread!!!  :devil:

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts: Most Yirgacheffe's I have tasted in South Africa are over roasted, well past the light-medium levels that I think ideal.

Although the Italian influence in Ethiopia tends to a higher roasting level, the best Yirgacheffe's that I evaluated in Ethiopia over years of travelling there were all medium roast, or low roast... Which allowed for more floral/fruity notes to come through, and avoided the pyroxene molecules to overdevelop bringing through bitter walnut, nutty notes... 

Agreed, there's one way to destroy good coffee beans, and that's with over roasting.

*pyrazines, pyroxenes are for the geologists.

Agreed, there's one way to destroy good coffee beans, and that's with over roasting.

*pyrazines, pyroxenes are for the geologists.

HAHA, well spotted ;) 

I bought the Fellow Prismo filter for the Aeropress which makes it even easier to use as you do not have to do the upside down method

Never heard of that... 

I see they have them on takealot. A bit more expensive than the traditional filters, will do some googling about them, thanks 

Thanks Mark James. The next question will be then, which grinder should i get if go the AeroPress route.

Hey Arrie.

I do not know much about coffee grinders, I spent last year in Indonesia, and would try different coffees whenever I found something interesting, and had a small cheapo grinder I used at home

I normally buy small quantities from a store and have it ground for me (not sure I'd trust myself with an electrical grinder early in the morning)

Thanks Mark James. The next question will be then, which grinder should i get if go the AeroPress route.

a good well priced Hario slim hand grinder will do perfectly fine for aeropress! 

Whatsapp me on 084 645 8840 to order or if you would like my offering list. I am based in PE but we courier around SA. Courier is R50 or free for orders over R400. Our prices start at R185/kg. We are a lean operation which allows us to provide Specialty Beans at commodity bean prices.

Thanks, I'll definitely give you shout. I'm always happy to support a small local business!

As a trained (in France for 3 years) "flavour/perfume nose", and someone who has done sensory training on coffee, I use an AeroPress. Not sure of the current price in South Africa, but less than R1000, probably around R800.

The quality of the coffee's organoleptic extraction, and sensory profile I get from it is better than anything I have ever done sensory evaluation on (or training). For the same quality level from a machine, I would need to spend R30k+.

Save yourself a buckload of cash, and buy an AeroPress.

The problem is that every person is unique and they don’t all have the same taste in a specific brew method. So your idea of what is the perfect cup of coffee might not be the same for another person. For some people, they enjoy dirty dish water, aka instant (chicory) coffee, whilst others enjoy filter coffee, or espresso, or a bean to cup, etc. Doesn’t make their choice right nor wrong.

Someone can spend >R30k on a machine if the budget allows it. Will they? Your answer and my answer and another’s answer won’t all be the same.

It’s the same as a weekend warrior that buys a R100k bicycle. Will they be faster than the person that trains 15+ hours a week and rides a R30k bicycle? Probably not, but if the bike gives them satisfaction riding it, then good for them.

What I do like though, is having a variety of methods of making coffee, and finding out which method gives the taste that is enjoyable.

Your Aeropress “method” is very similar to what David (Truth) mentions with the Clever drip method - do I like it? Not as much as other methods.

The problem is that every person is unique and they don’t all have the same taste in a specific brew method. So your idea of what is the perfect cup of coffee might not be the same for another person. For some people, they enjoy dirty dish water, aka instant (chicory) coffee, whilst others enjoy filter coffee, or espresso, or a bean to cup, etc. Doesn’t make their choice right nor wrong.

Someone can spend >R30k on a machine if the budget allows it. Will they? Your answer and my answer and another’s answer won’t all be the same.

It’s the same as a weekend warrior that buys a R100k bicycle. Will they be faster than the person that trains 15+ hours a week and rides a R30k bicycle? Probably not, but if the bike gives them satisfaction riding it, then good for them.

What I do like though, is having a variety of methods of making coffee, and finding out which method gives the taste that is enjoyable.

Your Aeropress “method” is very similar to what David (Truth) mentions with the Clever drip method - do I like it? Not as much as other methods.

100%

I read that post and thought the same thing, i just couldn't put it in as many words as you have done.

I've tasted/tried almost every brewing method there is . The best tasting coffee is the one i make at home, with a setup worth sub 20k but costed me under 10k because i was lucky and patient.

I went through all the phases, instant, filter, nespresso, aeropress, plunger, bean to cup.

Sure aeropress is nice, but I don’t have 8 minutes to sit and grind coffee, boil water, let it steep and then slowly plunge, and to be honest even after all that my bean to cup tastes infinitely better and the machine did not cost 30k.

A quality machine that can make quality coffee does not need to cost a fortune, quite frankly there is more to do with The Who and how than the actual tool. I’ve gone into a coffee shop with a 200k+ coffee machine and tossed it in the bin cause it made frisco seems like a good idea.

So sure maybe that dude needs a 30 grand machine to make coffee, or maybe he just needs to learn how to use normal people tools. I get an absolutely stunning cremé head on mine, one that even rivals that of my local coffee shop, a good non bitter, non burnt smooth flavor all for not 30 grand.

I appreciate the passionate comments about the brewskies but i will reckon i will park my bike at one of my fav coffee spots, have the baristas brew me a cup, sip and enjoy while i ponder what tire combination i will try next. 

I appreciate the passionate comments about the brewskies but i will reckon i will park my bike at one of my fav coffee spots, have the baristas brew me a cup, sip and enjoy while i ponder what tire combination i will try next.

*tyre

I went through all the phases, instant, filter, nespresso, aeropress, plunger, bean to cup.

You have yet to reach the best phase, non bean to cup machine ;)