Coffee machine

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Meezo said:

Got a new mate for my machine, will play around with tomorrow... It's been a long day

IMG_20210816_230931.jpg

Pretty soon you will have more coffee toys and than bicycle toys ;)

16 hours ago, Underachiever said:

I see some nice Stainless Steel filter systems for the AP, so no need for filter papers.  Good idea or gimmick?  I think the St St aperture size will certainly be larger than the paper, so a more turbid coffee result?

I have one of the Able filters. Coffee still tastes great, I settled on a routine/recipe/process with it, and managed to get it consistently great. On that note, I should make more coffee with it, not going anywhere means I may be out of practice. 

My main reason for liking the SS filter is because it's less of a hassle, and packing is easier, as I never forget the filter that lives in the AP. 

Edited by PhilipV

15 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

Quite the opposite... Not adjusting your grind and extraction time would be a big faux pas. Technically you should be doing this for every different bean you use, not just the brew method. 

To put some science to the snobbery, here's a graph.....
The perfect cup of coffee boils down to four factors

3 things are extracted from the beans when you make coffee - caffeine, oils, acids. 
Oils give the coffee flavour, acids make it bitter. Normally when people complain about bitter coffee, it's because it's over extracted and therefore there's too much acid. It's usually not the beans fault, provided that it's been freshly ground. If it's not freshly ground, it's probably already oxidized and thats gonna make the favour bad no matter what you do. 

So "the goal" of brewing coffee is to stop the extraction at the peak of the orange curve to maximize the flavour from the oils with as little acid as possible. The time scale is all relative though. The speed of extraction will be influenced by stuff like: water temp, fine/coarse grind, agitation (like stirring), purity of water etc. Each method should in theory be able to give a very similar result. So if you're using a coarser filter on your aeropress, and therefore need coarser ground coffee, then the extraction speed is gonna be slower, so you'll need to increase the brew times (like a french press). 

this has me wondering how I can apply the graph to a greek coffee brew.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys

I'm selling my 2 espresso grinders.

1.  Fiorenzato F64 R10k

2. Baratza Sette 270 - R6k

PM me for more info

As a philistine I don't need an expensive bean to cup machine, so have just purchased these..

Moccamaster-Cup-One-Matt-Black-.png

tinemore.jpg

friend sent some gifts for my coffee corner back from Girona. A nice ACME cup & saucer and the best smelling coffee that I’ve ever smelt. Smells so good that I don’t even want to use it. 

20FACBED-A0A6-4200-B19F-85134DF5DCD9.jpeg

I recently upgraded to the DF64 single dose grinder and I must say that I would highly recommend it if you enjoy playing around between different beans. Almond no retention in between grinds and at about R8k it's great value for money compared to the other grinders I considered like the Baratza Sette or Eureka Mignon. Single dosing is definitely not for everyone but I usually weigh my shots anyway. 

Works great for filter coffee as well so definitely a grinder to consider if you like to play around with pour overs and espresso. 

IMG_20210629_100019.jpg.d4a2b424536bc60a92a3772dfec07532.jpg

Nice. Similarly priced to the Niche which has received rave reviews with a similar footprint. Not sure what the landed price is on the Niche is though and don't think I've seen any available locally as yet. I would be in for a great single dosed grinder but until the SJ is doing fine and hasn't skipped a beat in close on 6 years now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 7:34 AM, BikeisLife said:

A friend sent some gifts for my coffee corner back from Girona. A nice ACME cup & saucer and the best smelling coffee that I’ve ever smelt. Smells so good that I don’t even want to use it. 

20FACBED-A0A6-4200-B19F-85134DF5DCD9.jpeg

I have only heard good things about their coffee (Espresso Mafia!) 

How does it taste? 

1 hour ago, the nerd said:

I have only heard good things about their coffee (Espresso Mafia!) 

How does it taste? 

It didn't last very long... so it was damn good! 

On 9/1/2021 at 2:39 PM, Rockid said:

I recently upgraded to the DF64 single dose grinder and I must say that I would highly recommend it if you enjoy playing around between different beans. Almond no retention in between grinds and at about R8k it's great value for money compared to the other grinders I considered like the Baratza Sette or Eureka Mignon. Single dosing is definitely not for everyone but I usually weigh my shots anyway. 

Works great for filter coffee as well so definitely a grinder to consider if you like to play around with pour overs and espresso. 

IMG_20210629_100019.jpg.d4a2b424536bc60a92a3772dfec07532.jpg

Single dosing is the only way..????????‍♂️