Coffee machine

23 minutes ago, the nerd said:

Ive never done it but im sure I could figure it out! 

I've sent you a message with my number🍻

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/29/2021 at 6:31 PM, corrie.kuilder said:

Quick question, who is familiar with "white coffee", meaning half roasted beans, with a nutty taste, up to 50% more caffeine. The bean/grind is beige in color, and also the brewing is a little different than normal beans. I am keen to give it a go, just looking for roasters that sell "white coffee" in the western (south) cape. 

Sounds like rocket fuel. 

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

A double shot for the win

Deluxe used to do a quad shot with a hint of milk. Tried it once. Never again.

More importantly what dosage are we working with a single?

If working off a 7g, then a 21g shot not that big a deal I reckon.

More importantly the shot to milk ratio and brew ratio will have more of a bearing on what it tastes like.

1 minute ago, cadenceblur said:

More importantly what dosage are we working with a single?

If working off a 7g, then a 21g shot not that big a deal I reckon.

More importantly the shot to milk ratio and brew ratio will have more of a bearing on what it tastes like.

So our shots are 20g doubles, essentially 10g each then. 

We pull the double, then pull a split double! 

I need to start doing that when I'm serving guests.

For myself I pull a ristretto off a 18g basket.

Have a 21g basket but it pulls vastly different to my 18g, so need adjust grind which I don't like doing..I think it's a VST or IMS - must check 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I have a Breville Cafe Venzeia which I received as a gift many years ago but haven't used in ages (prefer Moka pot or French Press).

I see online that @Home has them for R4,999

What is a reasonable price to ask 2nd hand? IMG_20220111_060253.jpg.1932658fe0fe4e7bd084c40c64baba8f.jpgIMG_20220111_060228.jpg.65874ce89cf55309e70c97b48fc7636f.jpgIMG_20220111_060222.jpg.a819c1b2db5016530d5c5a699ff5e08c.jpgIMG_20220111_060208.jpg.4a152853dca3dc028ffbf87506f27803.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 1/8/2022 at 4:26 PM, Mudsimus said:

I've always preferred espresso based drinks over filter coffee. Decided to give the V60 a go and it opened up a whole new world. Probably the best way to enjoy lighter roast speciality coffees.

20220108_162158.jpg

20220108_161847.jpg

Ive heard that so many times, but now you made me want a pourover mcguyver!!! im sold

On 1/9/2022 at 3:26 AM, Mudsimus said:

I've always preferred espresso based drinks over filter coffee. Decided to give the V60 a go and it opened up a whole new world. Probably the best way to enjoy lighter roast speciality coffees.

20220108_162158.jpg

20220108_161847.jpg

What a timely post.

I have a Breville Oracle at home and traditionally have a flat white style coffee. I have become increasingly intrigued by a Chemex coffee maker and am thinking of playing around with one.

I think if I approach this as a different method to appreciate a totally different coffee rather than comparing it to a flat white or espresso style, that it could be fun. The two styles are so widely different that comparing would not be wise.

Any tips?

7 hours ago, Wayne Potgieter said:

What a timely post.

I have a Breville Oracle at home and traditionally have a flat white style coffee. I have become increasingly intrigued by a Chemex coffee maker and am thinking of playing around with one.

I think if I approach this as a different method to appreciate a totally different coffee rather than comparing it to a flat white or espresso style, that it could be fun. The two styles are so widely different that comparing would not be wise.

Any tips?

My coffee is currently about 50/50 milk based and pour over. But you can get so much more out of a proper pour over, especially with good speciality coffee. Now thats another wormhole.

Personally I wont go with the Chemex, especially if you only make one cup. I really like the coffee I get from a Kalita, but will play around with recipes on the V60 as well. 

And get a proper grinder, especially if you are going to spend more on speciality coffees.