Coffee machine

10 hours ago, babse said:

If you are hard on your budget, maybe look at Breville Barista!? 

If not, I would definitely want to upgrade that grinder too. 

Yeah I've been considering that. Gets good reviews. But I would prefer my grinder to be seperate.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh. Back to square one.

Typical hub syndrome. Start at bottom of the chain. Then you add single wall portafilter, PID, double boiler, sexy looks, etc. etc.

Next thing you're selling your MTB 1st born for a Rocket.

58 minutes ago, Fisan said:

Ugh. Back to square one.

Typical hub syndrome. Start at bottom of the chain. Then you add single wall portafilter, PID, double boiler, sexy looks, etc. etc.

Next thing you're selling your MTB 1st born for a Rocket.

Personally, I would look for a second hand Oscar or something like that. 

Mine (2nd hand Oscar) is 15 years old now, a bit worse for wear, but still bangs out shots like the day I got it 10 years ago. 

The little consumer level machines like the Smegs and delonghis don't last that long, and their parts are an issue. Whereas the Oscar shares parts with its bigger siblings, so it is fixable when things break. And it is Italian, so it will break.

That being said, a mate of mine makes amazing coffees out of his Breville Barista Express. 

Edited by PhilipV

Check out the Breville. Not sure what they go for though but might be in your price range. I wouldn't bother with the Smeg 

Can only agree on the Oscar, solid machine. Mine gave me good service and the mate who bought it from me is still having trouble free brewing, with service costs manageable and parts never an issue.

Haven't seen a good second hand deal on an Oscar in a long time, always try to keep an eye out.

Been pleasantly surprised by the Breville Barista all in one machines and deals can be had on the second hand market if you not in a rush.

Been happy with my Gaggia machine, the older models are better then the new one currently on the market, they removed the solenoid valves etc. A decent grinder is the most important thing though

Indeed, bizarre but the grinder is almost as important as the machine.

Some will tell you MORE important!

When I paired my SJ with my Oscar, my coffee definitely went up a level 

Edited by cadenceblur

11 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

Indeed, bizarre but the grinder is almost as important as the machine.

Some will tell you MORE important!

When I paired my SJ with my Oscar, my coffee definitely went up a level 

As a real novice; many years of Porlex hand grinder + Aeropress / French press then a Jura bean to cup I can see the gap (and it has been told to me by a coffee seller) for a standalone grinder and a class expresso machine.  Coffee from the Jura (set up as best I have been told - fine grind, normal dose) tastes nothing like that from the hand grinder + Aeropress. Much less flavour and seems weaker from the machine but oh so easy.

I sent my Silvia in for a service last week (WAY overdue) and took the opportunity to pimp it with a pre-infuser PID.

It runs so much smoother after the service and I love the automation and consistency that the PID brings.
Now to get my milk game on point...

1 hour ago, splat said:

I sent my Silvia in for a service last week (WAY overdue) and took the opportunity to pimp it with a pre-infuser PID.

It runs so much smoother after the service and I love the automation and consistency that the PID brings.
Now to get my milk game on point...

Where did you get it done, I have been considering a PID

On 5/11/2022 at 11:57 AM, the nerd said:

Gaggia Classic Pro 

DF 64 Grinder... 

Solid setup 

What would be the benefit of a Gaggia classic pro over a Breville Barista Express (my current machine). What are the benefits of the 58mm group head an 3 way solenoid valve for an average joe like me? Would it be an upgrade?

33 minutes ago, hillel said:

Where did you get it done, I have been considering a PID

Cape Coffee Beans (in Cape Town) sorted it out for me as they are agents/resellers of Rancilio.

I don't know who did the actual work though.