Shimano mineral oil subsitutes

Saudiq

Hi All,

I'm looking for a tried and tested substitute for shimano mineral oil that I can use. I need to adjust the brake pads as the previous owner fitted new pads without setting the gap correctly.

Any advise would be appreciated...

I'm also keen to know. LBS I went to wants R120 for about 100ml for their repackaged shimano stuff (ie poured from their stash into a coke bottle) :eek:

There's the Pentosin stuff mentioned here but I have no idea where to buy it off the shelf...

Motorbikes spares shops have mineral oil that has worked well for me, still not so cheap though, but cheaper than LBS

Motorbikes spares shops have mineral oil that has worked well for me, still not so cheap though, but cheaper than LBS

...could you perhaps tell me what brand/name it is? went to Trackmac this morning and all they had were DOT fluids... :blink:

Hi All,

I'm looking for a tried and tested substitute for shimano mineral oil that I can use. I need to adjust the brake pads as the previous owner fitted new pads without setting the gap correctly.

Any advise would be appreciated...

I am confused, what does the pad placement have to do with the oil level? Just move the pistons back in the caliper, take the pads out use a wrench and push the piston outward away from the opposite wall, the level of oil will have little to no effect unless there is too much in the system.

My understanding of hydrolic brake systems is limited though so if I am wrong please forgive me and correct if possible.

I used fluid 41 from shell. We use it in the brake systems of our plane. Pm me then ill get you some! Im in pretoria

Castrol LHM+ Hydaulic fluid.

You can get the same product from Citroen and Rolls Royce dealers. They use it in their power steering. Audo A8 models also use this stuff. Whenever I need some, I just take some out of my Roll's power steering reservoir. It is on a motorplan, so it gets topped up every time it goes in for a service.

PS - some models of Golf also use the same stuff but I don't know anyone who drives such a lesser car.

You can get the same product from Citroen and Rolls Royce dealers. They use it in their power steering. Audo A8 models also use this stuff. Whenever I need some, I just take some out of my Roll's power steering reservoir. It is on a motorplan, so it gets topped up every time it goes in for a service.

PS - some models of Golf also use the same stuff but I don't know anyone who drives such a lesser car.

I am sure the R8's Lambos, Ferrari's Porches et al also use it.

...serious? okay so do you drive the Rolls or have you a chauffeur? :w00t:

I ride past the Citroen dealer everyday on my commute so.. info is much appreciated thanks!

...serious? okay so do you drive the Rolls or have you a chauffeur? :w00t:

I ride past the Citroen dealer everyday on my commute so.. info is much appreciated thanks!

Midas stocked the Castrol Mineral oil for Citroen aswell the last time I checked. However me and another guy decided to rather import a litre of the stuff from CRC for cheap and then split the cost and oil in half. Here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5620

Lhm the castrol one not total,we had lots of clutch masters and slave seals fail using total lhm on our tractors

Oh before I forget any good car spares shop stock it and the RRP is R160 per lt

shot guys. managed to get Castrol LHM+ at Midas. R130/litre.