2012 XT or Elixir 9

zeabre

I kept my 2012 XT brakes with the idea of replacing the Elixir 9s on my new XT based Anthem 29er...but not so sure anymore. What are you guys' opinion on the two sets?

I kept my 2012 XT brakes with the idea of replacing the Elixir 9s on my new XT based Anthem 29er...but not so sure anymore. What are you guys' opinion on the two sets?

Joking right?

2012 XT is as good as it gets, especially if you use the ice-tech rotors and pads!!!

Really not much out there that can beat it's performance/weight/reliability/usability/features by more than %5-10, even at almost any cost.

My 2011 Anthem came with xt except for the brakes which are avid elixir cr. I am looking at replacing the avids with xt 2012. I am having trouble with them binding or rubbing depending on the conditions on a regular basis. I am told that the xt's are lower maintenance. But the real reason is that my @r$€ is itching and I need to upgrade something and everything else on my bike seems too good to get rid of. . . . . . .although the seatpost and bars are probably next with a new wheelset for Xmas. . . :)

Avids are a bitch to maintain. The bleeding process is far more complicated than that of a Shimano, even my LBS struggled. The fluid used by Avid is really nasty stuff and one drop on your paint work and it's damaged. I'm just waiting for my current Avid Elixir RSL to give me a stitch more trouble and I will replace them with Shimano's on my 29er. I have already done this on my 26er where I replaced my Avid Juciy 3's. In fact the Juicy 3s are available for free if you want them ( I just cannot sell these with a good conscience).

Switched from Avid to XT and the only thing I am kicking myself about is that I didn't do it years ago. No more rotor rub, easy peasy set and forget, levers feel rock solid compared to the Avids which had a lot of play in them and deadly one finger braking power....happy days.

Just put on my new XT's a week ago. Loving them so far (ex Avid, ex Clarks user). Funny enough, just like River Rat is planning, I also donated my old kit away...

My 2011 Anthem came with xt except for the brakes which are avid elixir cr. I am looking at replacing the avids with xt 2012. I am having trouble with them binding or rubbing depending on the conditions on a regular basis. I am told that the xt's are lower maintenance. But the real reason is that my @r$€ is itching and I need to upgrade something and everything else on my bike seems too good to get rid of. . . . . . .although the seatpost and bars are probably next with a new wheelset for Xmas. . . :)

I have XT,s on my HT and avid cr on my anthem.Once i change My anthem,s avid to XT i have all the bike i want.Wheels changed to mavic already

I am so glad that I am not the only one that having trouble with elixir cr brakes! I think it is the biggest crap ever designed and will definitely replace it with XT or XTR.

Elixir CR brakes: biggest crap ever designed. Yikes! Bit harsh, but good thing it's just a subjective, singularly emotive opinion. ;)

I must really bought from the lucky batches.

If any of you Avid haters have any brakes you wanna dispose of I will happily take them off your hands.

I had a 2 sets of Deore's and they where **** in my opinion, lots of lever flex and hardly any breaking power.

Put some Juicy 3's on and im loving it, did a Goodridge conversion just to make it super powerfull.

Other set i swopped out for J5's.

1 finger with a 160mm rotor and you can do a wicked stoppie :thumbup:

After having a few iterations of both the xt and avid brakes and having just installed the new 2012 elixir 9. None of the old problems (they were extensive) bleed was a snap and they are MUCH more powerful and have a far better modulation and lever feel than the xt brakes I have on two of my other bikes. With the new rotors there is no more classic avid turkey gobble. If you're looking st the new generation of brakes and not judging avid on their past discretions then definitely choose the avids. Mine have already done 4000km of very rough trail and haven't need even a touch.