Magalies Monster 2012

Honkdonk

I managed to exorcise that monster marathon demon - and loved the route, that area is something special up here.

Hard work, technical at times but nothing insane, ridable most of the way. Water points were great: ice in all the drinks, good vibe all around. Route has certainly evolved since my first attempt circa-2004. Eish that road down from Breedts neck has eroded since I last travelled on it.

Was hoping for a sub-6 but just over. I need to shed muchos Kgs like BigB (got any tips?) No problems except keeling over on a technical uphill when my front wheel was stopped dead by a smallish rock. Sure a 29'er would have rolled over that. The last 20 k's was awesome over that ridge, but I was loosing my appreciation for nature by then.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to shed muchos Kgs like BigB (got any tips?)

Gnarly363's advice to me was 'eat less, $hit more' ;) - I took it :)

:)

What worked well for me last year, go for hernia opp, got complications, formed a scab on he inside, no food or water goes down, ended loosing 1km/day for 20 days. but then I did end back in Hospital...

;)

G

Gnarly363's advice to me was 'eat less, $hit more' ;) - I took it :)

I 'dumped' a lot of weight after picking up Giardia on a trip to post-revolutionary Mozambique early 90's - stomachs never been the same since all those antibiotics. Maybe that's what affected my metabolism, making it possible to put on weight just by looking at food.

Maybe I should have my intestinal tract shortened. Or my lips sown up. Or my brain reprogrammed not to eat.

But actually besides always being at the bottom of the results table, can't (or shouldn't) complain. There are those that have real health problems and can never put on any weight.

The Monster is a brilliant event. I am not fit enough for the 70km, so did the 40km and enjoyed every minute of it. The route is awesome. Technical, but very rideable. And the organisation is top class. If you haven't done the Monster then put it in your diary for next year.

My 1st proper long Monster (70km one). I also questioned my sanity for entering the event JUST AFTER SANI about halfway into the race!! One gets spoiled by Sani's manicured trails! In my head I was cursing every sandy patch, rock, long grassy sections..... (in my head I was also telling myself...stop cursing and HTFU....harden the &uck up!!). :devil:

But, I slayed the Monster and I am happy with 4h28m! It must be one of the toughest MTB races out there!! Very well organised and excellent food stalls and COLD beers afterwards....and I must have had 4 cups of Rehydrat afterwards!!

But, I'll see if I do it again next year....straight after Sani... :mellow:

Edited by Gerhardc

My first, Monster in any form. Did the 70km and thought I was in good shape. Cramped up @ 28km mark and it didn't let up until a fella named Willem gave me some of his potion (magnesium) took 10 mins and it mostly disappeared enough to bear with the pain. He even stayed with me for a few k's afterwards offering some hugely needed encouragement. What a champ, thank you.

What strikes me on these rides is the fact that everyone who passed me while I was in pain on the side of the course offered some sort of assistance. This doesn't happen on the road rides, not even for punctures. One of the many reasons why I love this sport.

Cycle computer says I did 5h16 riding time, while I ended with an official time of 5h54, so that's 40 or so mins fixing my legs and having some refreshments along the way. Very happy with the official time though. Next year my hard tail 26'er will need to make way for some bigger wheels. But I'll definitely be back.

Thanks again for all offers of help.

Was lekker tough, but hey they dont call it the monster for nothing. 4:40...the actual monster climb isnt that bad, its the downs that killed me....no resting or recovering.

Only made my ride 10 minutes quicker this year (6.45). Bit of a let down but there you go, although equally I did take my time and stopped at all the water points and enjoyed some nicknaks and a chicken mayo sarmie at the top of Breedts! Did not suffer as much as last year mind you. Took a sachet daily of rehydrate 3 days before the event and had three on the ride and only had a slight calf cramp (from, I suspect, pushing the bike up a couple of hills!). Was impressed the water points had cold water and ice, however I think they should rather not bother with the goody bag, that was pointless, nothing of interest inside. When I got home I still had the sachets of pro-nuto from last year! I like the bottle opener though, thats now on my Sani's keys!

My first monster. What a challenging route. I thought riding Breedtsnek would be a good indication of the route. WRONG. It doesnt even come close. Climbing singletrack littered with boulders and flat paths covered in thick sand that felt like climbing hills were all surprises for me.Going down rocky descents presented the largest challenge for me though. Forearms were on fire from braking while everyone passed me. I think I walked twice as much downhill as uphill. I need to go for lessons in descending. Saw Eric Skipper after the race and he says I should come ride Van Gaalens to practice these technical skills,

All told the race was an excellent challenge and I will be back next year hopefully better equipped. My legs should also be in better shape after the Joberg2c.

Edited by Doggone

My 1st proper long Monster (70km one). I also questioned my sanity for entering the event JUST AFTER SANI about halfway into the race!! One gets spoiled by Sani's manicured trails! In my head I was cursing every sandy patch, rock, long grassy sections..... (in my head I was also telling myself...stop cursing and HTFU....harden the &uck up!!). :devil:

But, I slayed the Monster and I am happy with 4h28m! It must be one of the toughest MTB races out there!! Very well organised and excellent food stalls and COLD beers afterwards....and I must have had 4 cups of Rehydrat afterwards!!

But, I'll see if I do it again next year....straight after Sani... :mellow:

Do you still want to sell that bike of yours?.Sani is not the magalies