swimming breathing technique

dracs

Alright, so I have entered 70.3 Jan 2013... Lots of time and I am trying to be proactive so have started swimming and running - both of which have not really done much of since school...

Now I expected the running to be tough to get into, and it has been but its getting better. The swimming I thought would be fine as I figure my fitness is pretty good and I was always a decent swimmer.

For some reason I am battling with the breathing. I'm sure I used to take a breath on every fourth stroke - and this is what feels natural to me. Problem is this is fine for a couple of laps but then I find I need to breath more often than that to avoid getting truly breathless. I've tried breathing every 3 strokes but find it just to uncomfortable to breath on my left side, so have to breath every 2nd stroke but with that feel like my head is out the water too much and just doesn't seem efficient.

Any pointers or recommendations? What do you guys do? or is it just a case of whatever feels right ? stoopid question?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just started swimming at the start of this year and I found the the main thing is to relax completely.. You cant force anything.. Also, if you turn your head to the side but keep the top of your head in the water the water seems to be diverted and you get like a gap where you can breath. Im not sure if that makes sense at all?? But relaxing is the main thing. Or els you'll just find yourself getting tired and wasting energy.

Edited by Fruity

Go with what feels best for you. For myself it makes very little difference to my times if I breath every second, third or fourth stroke. If you watch the pros they you will see loads of different things going on, some every second, some third and some forth.

There are arguments for breathing every third stroke when you are training as it is meant to "even out" your stroke but like I said it has made no difference to me. It is however good to learn to breath on both sides in case you want to watch someone on your one side for example or if you have waves crashing into you in a sea swim from the left then you can just breath to the right. stuff like that.

Well I just started swimming at the start of this year and I found the the main thing is to relax completely.. You cant force anything.. Also, if you turn your head to the side but keep the top of your head in the water the water seems to be diverted and you get like a gap where you can breath. Im not sure if that makes sense at all?? But relaxing is the main thing. Or els you'll just find yourself getting tired and wasting energy.

ja I do know what you mean - and I think that may be it... have a feeling I am trying to lift my head up as i turn and I guess the proper technicique is to keep head down and just turn sideways, but wondering how feasible that will be in an choppy sea water...

Edited by dracs

Go with what feels best for you. For myself it makes very little difference to my times if I breath every second, third or fourth stroke. If you watch the pros they you will see loads of different things going on, some every second, some third and some forth.

There are arguments for breathing every third stroke when you are training as it is meant to "even out" your stroke but like I said it has made no difference to me. It is however good to learn to breath on both sides in case you want to watch someone on your one side for example or if you have waves crashing into you in a sea swim from the left then you can just breath to the right. stuff like that.

makes sense thanks

I breath every third stroke but I have noticed that a lot of long distance swimmers breath after every second or after each stroke. We have to remember that breathing while swimming is still breathing during exercise and as you swim you chase up you HR and you breathing should increase as well to get enough oxygen in the blood for a sustainable effort

Many people have recommended getting a swimming coach so I guess that is what I am going to do. I want to do IM 2013 so I think it’s a good investment

You can go for a Total Immersion course. PM me for the girl's details.

Swim Smooth is very cool.

Wish I could swim properly, I'm thankful IM is all about the run!

You will be swimming in the ocean as well, so the water will be rougher than in a swimming pool. You might have to adjust your technique for that as well.

I breath every third stroke but I have noticed that a lot of long distance swimmers breath after every second or after each stroke. We have to remember that breathing while swimming is still breathing during exercise and as you swim you chase up you HR and you breathing should increase as well to get enough oxygen in the blood for a sustainable effort

Many people have recommended getting a swimming coach so I guess that is what I am going to do. I want to do IM 2013 so I think it’s a good investment

Swim Smooth is very cool.

Wish I could swim properly, I'm thankful IM is all about the run!

Yea I think I may well look at doing a few sessions with a coach at some point but first want to see what sort of level I can get to on my own

"Different strokes for different folks"

I always breathed on every second stroke in open water swims and every third of those breathed forward (if that makes sense) to gauge my line. Worked for me but everyone I swam with then had there on way of doing it

Do you think its better to do this course or get a swimming coach?

Do you think its better to do this course or get a swimming coach?

howis total immersion course different from other courses / coaches then?

Have a look at www.swimsmooth.com , it helped me quite a bit with my breathing and stroke correction.

This article http://www.swimsmoot...athing_beg.html answers all my questions - now to try put into practice. As alluded to above I think breathing has been seeming like such hard work because the way I have been doing it... Pretty sure I have been lifting my head out of the water instead of breathing into the "pocket" (tips 3 and 4 in the article). As they say therethis leads to the legs dipping, which creates drag - which is probabaly why I have found it so much better to breath only on every fourth stroke.

If can correct that, then breathing every 2nd stroke or as required should be no big deal.... :thumbup:

Edited by dracs

The one consistent piece of advice I have received is to breathe out continuously. If you hold your breath, you build up carbon dioxide in your lungs which makes you hypoxic.

By the time you get to breathe your lungs should be well close to empty and as you breath, the you are able to take in more oxygen in the short time between strokes.

But then again, I am a really average swimmer.