Thaba Thoughee XCO Challenge.

Wendell

On the 3rd June. the following mtb races will be at Thaba Trails.

08h30.....20km FUN ride.

08h40.....Kiddies fun ride...u8,u10 and u12.

08h50.....10km FUN ride

09h30.....The THABA TOUGHEE...20km of awesome cross country single track, jeep track up hills and down hills. The toughest XCO currently in Guateng. First 50 to recieve the "THABA TOUGHEE" belt buckle.

Online entry on www.entrytime.com.

contact Wendell for more details on 0829000749

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks awesome Wendell, will definitely try make this one!!!

That would be super....would be nice to see you again. When you making the treck South for some night riding??? I am training every night from 5.30pm. Nothing technical but a really good workout.

Will definitely make a plan to join you for some night rides soon! Just tough getting out from the West after work, but will make a turn that side soon! :)

except for creating an forum post under event, would suggest creating an event entry as well.

Edited by HJV1999

Hi Wendell

If I don't get lapped or severly injured this weekend at the Phambili XC I will seriously consider the Thabo Toughee. You see "I think" I am fit enough....

Thanks for the info you gave me over the phone re Phamnili btw. Most helpful.

Hi Wendell

If I don't get lapped or severly injured this weekend at the Phambili XC I will seriously consider the Thabo Toughee. You see "I think" I am fit enough....

Thanks for the info you gave me over the phone re Phamnili btw. Most helpful.

So, what was the outcome???? will we see you on the 3rd?

Got caught up in the heat of the moment and started the race like a bat out of hell, way too fast (even though I kept on telling myself to start slow), though luckily took a tumble at the end of lap one close to the start/finish line over a tree stump. Chain came off during fall and battled a couple minutes to unjam it. Just meant my HR could come down to reasonable levels. Lap 2 was terrible ... and lap 3 started getting better at least. Did get lapped just before I could start my 4th lap.

Really enjoyed the race though I must say, my wife and kids were set-up next to the track - so they could watch me come past.

There was one section I didn't even try ride down though - small drop, though I didn't like the rocks to the left, not on the "race line", but I was breathing so hard, I couldn't trust myself to make it down there safely.

How much harder technically is Thabo than Phambili?

Oh. re: the 3rd - may first ride some of the other XC races first ..... "toughest XC race in Gauteng" may end my budding XC career too early??

Had a midday 'guided tour' of the route today, thanks Wend's!

I frikkin loved it, OK so I have lost nearly 20Kg's since I last rode there some time in January which did make it a LOT easier! Not only the climbing but also the technical bits. I did have to walk on 1 or 2 steep ups and 'step off' on one or 2 spots in technical sections but I am a tad 'technically challenged' some may say :( - the last few k's will make you smile big time though :)

post-271-0-64123400-1337695570.jpg

Got caught up in the heat of the moment and started the race like a bat out of hell, way too fast (even though I kept on telling myself to start slow), though luckily took a tumble at the end of lap one close to the start/finish line over a tree stump. Chain came off during fall and battled a couple minutes to unjam it. Just meant my HR could come down to reasonable levels. Lap 2 was terrible ... and lap 3 started getting better at least. Did get lapped just before I could start my 4th lap. Really enjoyed the race though I must say, my wife and kids were set-up next to the track - so they could watch me come past. There was one section I didn't even try ride down though - small drop, though I didn't like the rocks to the left, not on the "race line", but I was breathing so hard, I couldn't trust myself to make it down there safely. How much harder technically is Thabo than Phambili?
Firstly... you won't get lapped !!! The tech. sections at Phambili are not as clean as Thaba, but Thaba tough, sharp short climbs, predictable decends where you can roll over, but nothing too difficult to walk!!!! The other option is to do the 20km fun ride. The terrain is hilly ( can't help that ) but the trail is clean and non technical. Jeep track and single track..