Cycling through the Baviaans

Mudwall

I wish I was a writer to be able to tell you about our awesome trip. We were 9 guys cycling and two in the backup bakkie.

We started in Patensie, Eastern Cape, and took the Elandsrivier road, through the Grootrivier poort to Steydlerville. Just through the Grootrivier poort we slept on a farm, but it was 50km for the day as well as about 1138m of climbing. The second day we stayed close to the mountain on the route to Willowmore for about 60km before taking on an old 4x4 over the mountain into the Baviaanskloof. The 3km up is impossible to cycle (about 500m climb in 3km) and the 9km downhill is not for the faint hearted. Then it was two very nice days through the Baviaanskloof back to Patensie. Did not think I would ever talk about the Baviaanskloof as the easy part.

I'll get the pics before the end of the week and post some. The one guy in the bakkie went with just to take pictures.

Mudwall, just tell it with a few pictures! They're worth thousands of words, you know. Baviaans is brilliant!

The road from the Steytlerville side to the Kloof, was that the Doringkloof 4x4 route? That is quite a hectic drive.

The road from the Steytlerville side to the Kloof, was that the Doringkloof 4x4 route? That is quite a hectic drive.

Keen to see the pics as I rode it on a motorbike last weekend

Which one? The one to Steytlerville or the 4x4 route south over the mountain to Joubertina? Both have awesome views!

You are right, the Baviaans is brilliant. I've been back there three times in two years. I usually sleep over at Bergplaas on top. Basic but OK.

If you go solo and just move quietly and sit still, you'll see a world pass by you. Buffalo, giant tortoises (torti?), kudu, snakes, the works. No leopards yet. Maybe next time.

I'm doing it again in March 2013 but this time I'll extend it both ways - from the Patensie side all the way to Cape Town and from the Willomore side, all the way back to Pietermaritburg. One month.

Anyone wanna join?

You are right, the Baviaans is brilliant. I've been back there three times in two years. I usually sleep over at Bergplaas on top. Basic but OK.

If you go solo and just move quietly and sit still, you'll see a world pass by you. Buffalo, giant tortoises (torti?), kudu, snakes, the works. No leopards yet. Maybe next time.

I'm doing it again in March 2013 but this time I'll extend it both ways - from the Patensie side all the way to Cape Town and from the Willomore side, all the way back to Pietermaritburg. One month.

Anyone wanna join?

Enjoy the Freedom challange :thumbup:

Yes, from the Steydlerville side we took the Dornkloof 4x4 route. Thre is a lot of concrete on the route but due to poor maintanice it does not help at all. I even carried my bike some distance since it was easier to carry than to look for a path for me and the bike. Fot the few of us that had the guts to do the downhill it was one of the highlights.

I wish I was a writer to be able to tell you about our awesome trip. We were 9 guys cycling and two in the backup bakkie.

We started in Patensie, Eastern Cape, and took the Elandsrivier road, through the Grootrivier poort to Steydlerville. Just through the Grootrivier poort we slept on a farm, but it was 50km for the day as well as about 1138m of climbing. The second day we stayed close to the mountain on the route to Willowmore for about 60km before taking on an old 4x4 over the mountain into the Baviaanskloof. The 3km up is impossible to cycle (about 500m climb in 3km) and the 9km downhill is not for the faint hearted. Then it was two very nice days through the Baviaanskloof back to Patensie. Did not think I would ever talk about the Baviaanskloof as the easy part.

Transbaviaans :thumbup:

I treid but struggled to load the pics of the trip. I was however able to load the pics on my blog and you are more than willing to have a look there.

http://grond101.blog...iaanskloof.html

I wich I was there!

Evening,

Brilliant pictures.

I would like to talk to you at some stage.

I'm quite familiar with the Baviaanskloof region, but would like to go back for a 3rd trip with the bikes and friends.

And would possibly like to incorporate some parts of your route/ideas with my own.

Keep well.

Regards,

WJ

I must thank the Henry with his camera on the bike as well as his dad in the bakkie that took the pictures. these are just some of the 948 in total. WJ you are more than welcome to contact me.

I must thank the Henry with his camera on the bike as well as his dad in the bakkie that took the pictures. these are just some of the 948 in total. WJ you are more than welcome to contact me.

Thanks!