Stans vs American classic

Mtberct

I know this topic is old but perhaps those of experience can add their opinion. For the same price what would you go for - American Classic 29er vs ZTR Arch Ex on Hope Pro hubs....

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from a feel perspective the AM classic race wheels feel so much nicer than the crests...ive got both...

Straight from the factory Crest wheel sets might give issues with a 95Kg rider. If you take them to a proper wheel builder to double check them before you use them, you won't have any issues. My father is around 95Kgs and rides Crests with no issues, he is an aggressive HT rider so they do take hits. Just make sure to keep the pressure enough to not ding the rim.

I hear that often, and in actual fact they ride without skill.

And BOOM there is my riding style :-)

I call it "power riding" but really it's dondering through rocks instead of over or round them...

If anyone wants a lesson in finesse riding they should follow Mr. Shimano - he rolls through technical stuff like water. Bastard guy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've got a Giant XTC 29er Composite 1, (carbon HT frame) it came with the standard Giant wheel set, not even sure what the model is, if any. Running Schwalbe Racing Ralph tubeless on them at the moment. I weigh in at 74kgs. I am upgrading the bike every so often. Looking to go as light as possible as far as possible (to compliment the carbon frame of course :P ). Off the bat, which wheel set would you recommend for about R5K?

If you got decent hubs to use, order some Chinese carbon rims and have your old hubs rebuilt with DT Revolution spokes. Rims should be in the 360g range, they are available.

Race Golds that's been tied and soldered,bomb proof and light!!

So, what does the tying and soldering do to make them light and resistant to artillery?

Never underestimate the value of a good wheelbuild. I have two sets of 29er wheels built by two different wheelbuilders. The first, Velocity Blunt SL rims laced to Circus Monkey hubs. The second, Hope Pro 2 Evos also laced to Velocity Blunt SL rims. Both wheelsets are running true. The first wheelset is flexy and twangy and the second is stiff and tracks true. I've run both wheelsets on the same bike and I'm around 88kg.